shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about setting larger stone in original setting (prongs and such)

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I have contacted BGD, but, it is weekend and I am impatient!

For a setting with a Truth head that is sort of "stuck on" (no shoulders think of the Truth with fishtail pave ring) what in general would be the required modifications to go from a 7mm stone to an 8mm stone? Not a diamond, but sapphire with an RB/precision cut so not cut very deep or with a *belly* so to speak.

Would they be able to really rework head and prongs to accomodate stone size/depth or would they need to replace entire head? Would this be doable?

When I talked to them before when they did my original setting they said they could likely work on the current head/prongs for a 7.5mm down road but I did not ask about 8mm. The 8mm would be a jump from about 1.53ct to 2.35ct so it is a jump for sure! I do not have all the measurements but obviously it is going to be deeper, etc.

Long story short is I need to send my rings back for resizing ASAP (this week if I hear back from them!) and since I need to go through hassle of shipping from and back to Canada (total pain!) I would like to get a larger stone set at same time, something I was planning to do in a few months anyway but do not want to ship twice this year! And I found a stone that will work well for colour and so on but is 8mm!

Thanks for any thoughts!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
They can always make a new head, the cost should not be too great (it was ~$250 for me when I had it done 6-7 months ago). I doubt they can fit a 8mm into a head made for a 7mm though.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks dreamer - I figured you would know the answer!

That is rather what I would have expected (having to make new head I mean). Did they give you any credit for the metal from the old head?

Seems a reasonable cost if I consider cost if ship again in a few months anyway, and I cannot wait that long for resizing! Besides if my fingers are going to be *bigger* only makes sense to go bigger, ha!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2010 2:48:26 PM
Author: RaiKai
Thanks dreamer - I figured you would know the answer!

That is rather what I would have expected (having to make new head I mean). Did they give you any credit for the metal from the old head?

Seems a reasonable cost if I consider cost if ship again in a few months anyway, and I cannot wait that long for resizing! Besides if my fingers are going to be *bigger* only makes sense to go bigger, ha!
Bigger is always better
2.gif

I did not get credit for the head, but scrap prices are low. When I got credit for my whole setting it was only $65. I imagine for the head it would be like $5
2.gif

Be sure to save the FedEx shipping label. When you bring it back to canada you should only have to pay tax on the difference between the first shipment and the value on the secodn shipment.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Raikai, just wanted to give you a heads up to keep all of your fedex/customs paperwork,
especially the duty receipt from the first import of the ring if you still have it,
and MAKE SURE to take copies of everything before you send it.

I just had to go through an extra 3 day hold up at customs even though EVERYTHING was
included with the package, and the only reason they released it was because I emailed
them the copies of everything I had.

It was a return for repair (no duty charges) so maybe they were just being a bit stricter.
Steve, the fedex custom broker said that they are especially strict on return for repair jewelry.

I don't want to seem preachy but just thought I'd let you know
5.gif

ETA: posted at same time as dreamer, haha. Also, I am very excited to see the new ring!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks both regarding the customs stuff. I really despise having to ship between US and Canada at times!

I was definitely going to send my original customs paperwork from first time along with rings for re-entry back to Canada (I do have it all) but definitely a good tip on making sure I also have copies of it all on hand in case there are any issues! Especially knowing they are more strict on the on jewelery repair claims. Thanks!

Dreamer - $5 is $5 - ha!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2010 3:39:14 PM
Author: RaiKai
Thanks both regarding the customs stuff. I really despise having to ship between US and Canada at times!

I was definitely going to send my original customs paperwork from first time along with rings for re-entry back to Canada (I do have it all) but definitely a good tip on making sure I also have copies of it all on hand in case there are any issues! Especially knowing they are more strict on the on jewelery repair claims. Thanks!

Dreamer - $5 is $5 - ha!
I don''t think you should decond your documents with your ring, no way jose! Keep them so you can produce them on request.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results