shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about AGS grading (VS2 stone)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

major_newbie

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''m considering purchasing a diamond with an AGS report. It''s a bit over a carat, VS2, round ideal-cut. The AGS report (well, the scan available on-line) shows no markings on either the top- or bottom-view, and there are no comments on the report. I''ve asked for photos but this vendor says they cannot provide any. Would anyone like to guess what sort of defects a VS2 stone with no detail on the report might have?

Thanks,
Jay

chantheman

Rough_Rock
It would be almost impossible to guess the type or location of the inclusions. With regard to your question I would like however to offer up a few thoughts.

1) AGS certs use colored ink to map the inclusions. Some of these inks may not be picked up by the scanner used on the cert.
2) It also appears that some AGS inclusion mapping is bolder than others. The cert on my stone has two crystals, one mapping is significantly bolder than the other. The bolder mapping with my stone does correspond to the more easily spotted of the inclusions upon magnified inspection.
3) The resolution capability of your monitor may be preventing you from seeing the mappings that were actually picked up.

Faxed cert copies can also miss capturing some mapped inclusions.

I am sure others can offer you some additional suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results