shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchased Today

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ljamo

Rough_Rock
I finally made the purchase today. I have been reading this board for some time now and used the information available here to educate myself. I felt comfortable with all of the "Cs" except clarity. It came down to a VS2 or a SI1. If I went with an SI1 it was very important there were no visible spots. After viewing several similiar diamonds side by side some VS2 and others SI1. I went with the SI1 b/c I could not tell the difference not to mention it was much cheaper. I would like some feedback on my purchase keeping in mind I was looking for a combination of size and quality. Here are the details:
GIA Cert
Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.93 - 7.97 x 4.6 mm
Weight: 1.72 carat
Depth: 57.9%
Table: 60%
Girdle: Extremely thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Polish/Symmetry: good/good
Clarity Grade: SI1
Color Grade: E
Fluorescence: Faint
Cost: $11,450

Leviclimber

Rough_Rock
Let me give you an address to send it to for a free polishing...oh, and don''t expect to get it back! My gf would love it!
Nice purchase, and I hope it goes over well. That is a HUGE stone (at least to me it is). It oughta knock her socks right off!

ljamo

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Leviclimber. Next I have to order the mounting. I am finding that as stressful as buying the diamond itself. It will take 4-5 weeks for that to come in. I am hoping this will all be over in 6 weeks.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
My only concern looking at your description is the extremely thin girdle.

How large an area is it extremely thin?

Rockdoc

ljamo

Rough_Rock
Rock Doc, the diamond itself is still at my jewler''s (he is keeping it until I get the mounting ordered). I can go back and look at it tomorrow if you think there is something in particular I should look for. Just looking at the diamond today I didn''t notice anything strange with the girdle. My jewler is a family friend so I have a few days to switch to another stone if I thought it were necessary.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extra-thin girdle means "chpped diamond" to me.
11.gif
Any intervention on the ring in the future makes one ocasion to "test" that, basically, even if it survives normal wear. Although, as long as there is insurance and you do not mind the risk... why not.

This stone should be a bit larger (by diameter) than the AGS0 "ideals" of the same weight. It would be good to know (IMO) what the relatively shallow cut does to light return. Chances are there is no significant trade off here, but it's not possible to guess from depth&table alone. As far as I know, at least
34.gif

You say there were several diamonds for you to choose from in the first place. Was there a H&A cut among them ?

ljamo

Rough_Rock
Regarding size (in diameter), it did look every bit as big as an ideal cut, 1.78, G, VS2. I figured that its relatively shallow cut would show a bigger diameter. Also, it seemed to "sparkle" very nice compared with the other stones I viewed.

The extremely thin girdle thing has me nervous though. I will call my jewelry today and post anything of interest.

How about the cost? Did that look o.k.?

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results