shape
carat
color
clarity

pulling trigger on a princess for my Princess ... may I have your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FOODIE

Rough_Rock
Certainly wish I could afford much more, because she''s worth it! But here''s what I have my eye on:

Princess cut
.93 Carat
GIA Certified
5.59 x 5.33 X 3.85
Depth: 72.2 %
Table: 71 %
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Color: G

Appreciated!

- John.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
John,

The numbers look quite ok. There is not much one can say, however, based on these numbers. You might want to ask an expert to eyeball the stone for you.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Could you get some additional data, as a Sarin report or a BrillianceScope or an IdealScope image? These would be very helpful. The stone, from the data you provided, looks pretty okay, even though I prefer smaller tables.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
BTW, if you want more, get a 1ct I/SI 1 stone... More bang for the bucks and it should still be pretty white and eye-clean!
1.gif

FOODIE

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input .. the reason I was happy with this stone is because of the grading chart at gemappraisers.com, I was under the impression I can expect very good ideal-scope results. The table, girdle and depth all point to a 1B - Premium cut stone.

Was my assumption to go by the numbers incorrect? Will I receive this diamond and NOT like the way it performs with my idealscope or not like the way it appears to the eye?

As always, very appreciated. If my assumption is incorrect, it makes it slightly more difficult to buy something from an internet-based reseller.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Hey John,

I am a princess lover so I thought I'd give my feedback
1.gif

That stone sounds very promising. I would prefer a smaller table and depth, but it really is not too bad.
5.gif

One thing to keep in mind is those measurements show the stone will look more rectangular than square. Don't know if that matters, but thought I would point it out.

Also, most e-tailers will ship you the ring to view before you buy. I would highly suggest doing that. As many have said, and I can attest to, you REALLY need to see a diamond - specifically a fancy - in person. While numbers are great, they can't tell you how it will look in person. They are just part of the selection process.

Having a stone sent to you for vieweing isn't hard - most do it overnight and without a fuss.

I would second the other suggestions offered here to view a BrillianceScope report, IdealScope images or a Sarin report. They help you better understand what you are getting.

If you don't want to get that complicated, at the very least I would suggest viewing the stone before purchase. That way you know what you are getting.

Good luck.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/8/2003 5:14:40 PM FOODIE wrote:

Thank you for your input .. the reason I was happy with this stone is because of the grading chart at gemappraisers.com, I was under the impression I can expect very good ideal-scope results. If my assumption is incorrect, it makes it slightly more difficult to buy something from an internet-based reseller.----------------

The assumption is not correct: those numbers do not guarantee high light return, but just eliminate the very non-brilliant stones. The only way buying from B&M could replace some formal liht-return analysis (briliance scope or other such) would be seing a well-selected dozen diamonds side by side (not to mention that princesses with good light return may be fewer than one in a random dozen). Another way could be to bump into a princess cut with an terrific idealscope image from day one: however, this would be a lucky encounter indeed if the jeweler does not delect stones based on light return from suppliers (which most don't). Otherwise, you should still ask the B&M store to e-mail you that Briliance-scope report
2.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Valeria is right. You can not make an assumption that this stone has the optics you're looking for based on just the data you have given. At the very least we'd need crown/pavilion angles to indicicate whether you should move forward on this or not.

Rhino

FOODIE

Rough_Rock
I have some further details ... again, appreciate any further insight!

9.7 crown height
33.6 pavillion depth
36.8 35.2 38.3 crown angle (average of 36.76)
42.4 39.2 44.1 pavillion angle (average of 41.9)

Thank you very, very much!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results