shape
carat
color
clarity

Prosumers - thoughts on this 2 carat RB please

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
So, I've found another possible stone for my future brother in law. (I was able to talk him away from D color only and get a better cut instead- he was STUCK on D color BUT D + great cut + 2 carat was so not in his budget).

Can you guys please let me know what you think so far? It's on hold and JA is getting me ASET and having it checked to see if eye clean. I'll have that info around next Wed due to the holiday.

It scores 2.5 on the HCA but maybe it'll still be lovely?

I'll post the ASET once it comes.

Link:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1313990.asp

As always, TIA so much!!! :)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be a lovely stone, its specs reminds me of one of my earring stone, and I think its beautiful!. it will be far better than many out there.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks D&T! That makes me feel better- I was worried about the HCA score but I know that's not an end all be all. I feel a lot of pressure in getting this right since it's not for me- I want to make sure it's a great stone and that he loves it as well as my sister. :)

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
The twinning wisps need close inspection under lots of different types of lighting. I remember a poster who had the same inclusions and didn't notice it except for a certain type of lighting when they really stood out. I'm not saying that's the case here, but you really need to take all the time to check it out at home. Otherwise, the cut is fine.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
whatmeworry|1293762889|2810549 said:
The twinning wisps need close inspection under lots of different types of lighting. I remember a poster who had the same inclusions and didn't notice it except for a certain type of lighting when they really stood out. I'm not saying that's the case here, but you really need to take all the time to check it out at home. Otherwise, the cut is fine.
Thank you! He plans on having it shipped to an independent appraiser and I'll make sure he looks at it in all different lighting conditions before the return period is up. :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks fine, ASET and appraisal report will have more to tell you. Don't need to worry about the HCA at all for this stone - 2 is an arbitrary cutoff and the HCA does not require sufficient inputs to make a fine-tuned decision.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
the aset will overrule the hca if it looks good and judging by the picture and angles it could.
I am more concerned about the inclusions, they could be fine but being an si2 and the type of inclusions there is a possibility they will impact light return/looks.
Post what the JA gemologist has to say when they get back to you.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Ok thanks so much guys! Once I hear back from JA and get the ASET I'll post the extra info. :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cant wait to see the idealscope on this one. It looks like a pretty stone from the picture...if eye-clean to your/his standards
could be a nice find. Can you disclose the price? Just wondering what an SI2 2 carat goes for.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1293805411|2810884 said:
Cant wait to see the idealscope on this one. It looks like a pretty stone from the picture...if eye-clean to your/his standards
could be a nice find. Can you disclose the price? Just wondering what an SI2 2 carat goes for.
I hope so :) I can't remember the exact price but after the PS discount it was around 16,500.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
His criteria is Ex/Ideal cut, G color or above, eye clean and she wanted 2+ carats- but he only wanted to spend 20K total and the setting she picked out is about 4k (attached pics of Martin Flyer setting for fun). Neither of them want to upgrade her e-ring (diamond or setting) in the future so this is it. I was originally looking at SI1 and found many nice Ex cut high color 2 carat stones but they were 18.5k and up. So I'm hoping everything comes back A-OK from JA. If not, I think he'll have to lower his color preference or carat to stay in budget or increase his budget by at least 2k.

mount.JPG

mount2.JPG

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all-- just got the ASET (pic attached for anyone who wants to see) and JA's gemologists eval--

Here's what I was told about the stone:

"You have really selected a nice 2.01ct SI2 diamond that faces white and has an excellent cut. The twinning wisps in this diamond are difficult but not impossible to see with the unaided eye. These wisps distract slightly from the brilliance of this diamond; but overall it has nice light performance (evident in the attached idealscope image). This SI2 diamond presents you with a real bargain for a 2.01ct diamond. If eye cleanliness is absolutely paramount, you may want to consider other options; however, if carat weight is your main priority, this is a nice bright option."

So, this is a no-go. Visible inclusions that distract from the brilliance- not gonna work. Thanks to everyone who helped me with this so far! :)

However! Check out what I found today! It's GORGEOUS!!! IMHO of course :bigsmile: It's on hold while the future BIL looks over all the info I sent him. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104047808001

Denise said it's a beauty and only one non-visible feather off to the side! What a good price too! And it scores 1.1 on the HCA :sun:

ASET.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LALove|1294182000|2814318 said:
So, this is a no-go. Visible inclusions that distract from the brilliance- not gonna work. Thanks to everyone who helped me with this so far! :)

However! Check out what I found today! It's GORGEOUS!!! IMHO of course :bigsmile: It's on hold while the future BIL looks over all the info I sent him. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104047808001

Denise said it's a beauty and only one non-visible feather off to the side! What a good price too! And it scores 1.1 on the HCA :sun:

Yup, that would do it for me, re.the JA.

That BGD looks fantastic - nice find!! Love the fluor too :sun:

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1294182481|2814326 said:
LALove|1294182000|2814318 said:

Yup, that would do it for me, re.the JA.

That BGD looks fantastic - nice find!! Love the fluor too :sun:
I think so too! And I'm LOVING the fluor too!! He had me searching high and low for an Ideal cut 2 carat gorgeous stone for 15k or less so if he doesn't get this I'm going to kick him! :angryfire: :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results