shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess=round??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys -
I am a bit confused ... I have had several cases now when people argued that princess cut stones were round!? Any idea where that misconception may stem from???
R.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2008 12:01:19 PM
Author:rob09
Hey guys -
I am a bit confused ... I have had several cases now when people argued that princess cut stones were round!? Any idea where that misconception may stem from???
R.
Well...they would be, except for the squarish shape.
41.gif

Maybe you could provide a link?

Meanwhile, though I can''t imagine this is what you had in mind, you may find this piece of interest.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/1/2008 12:01:19 PM
Author:rob09
Hey guys -

R.

Um. Aphasia? Seriously, I''m stumped. I can sorta-kinda-from-a-distance understand the confusion between like cuts - mistaking a princess for an asscher, say - but insisting that an obviously square stone is called by a name referencing a different shape is beyond contradictory and well into crazy. If this is in person, could they be pulling your leg?

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think they were pulling my leg (heck, I certainly know the difference), but they would point to a round a say that they knew people who also "had a princess cut". Maybe they are just confused ...
40.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bad eyesight, maybe? Or possibly fooled by 4-prong settings into thinking they actually *are* princess cuts ... my husband hasn''t done anything quiiiiiiite this egregious, but he did respond to my linking to a channel-set french-cut eternity band by asking how it was different from the channel-set round brilliant eternity band he''d gotten for me. His vision''s great, but it''s a selective perception sort of a thing: in his eyes, a shiny thing set with lots of tiny pebbles is a shiny thing set with lots of tiny pebbles!

dbsdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I would argue that princess cuts are square rounds. RADIANT cut diamonds are more brilliant like rounds, princess cuts have a little different feel in brilliance.

Princesses tend to be sharp edged and pointed tips. Radiants and cushions more of a rounded edge feel to them. Great images online if you know where to look.
19.gif
19.gif

Also, if you are comparing GIA certified diamonds of the same weight, color and clarity a princess cut will run 15% to 30% less than comparable grades in a round. Numbnuts out there try and say princess cuts are harder to cut.

The factual answer of why rounds cost more is that it takes a bigger piece of rough to cut a comparable weight, so there is more cost involved on the diamond weight initial side.

Marty
CEO/Pres
www.dbsdiamonds.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results