shape
carat
color
clarity

Price of diamond versus price of setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
My bf and I have decided on an engagement ring that we built ourselves at a local jeweler. We both agreed on the setting, white goldring with a cathedral setting that has pave diamonds on all three sides, for a total of .5 ct. It''s gorgeous! It costs $1995, but since we''re working with a total budget of no more than $3500, that left us about $1500-1600 for a center diamond. We found one in our range. I was hoping for 3/4 ct, but we ended up with a .62 (J SI 2) that is a really good cut, and very pretty (sorry no specs) and looked identical to the size of a .73 diamond we compared it to.

We bought from a place that offers upgrades. They will take the full value of what you paid and you can get a new diamond as long as it costs $1 more. It seemed to go along with my boyfriend''s long-term plans which are to upgrade and upgrade and upgrade my diamond in the years to come. Of course, I''m all for that, even though I think I could live with the one we have for a very long time.

So, my question is, is it peculiar that we''re spending more on the ring than on the diamond? Maybe there''s no hard and fast rule, but from reading some of the posts, it seemed like we did things backwards than what a lot of people on here do, which is pick out the diamond first. We just both fell in love with the ring and it happened to be white gold. We have a couple more months before it''s paid off - Do you think we made a good decision? Any thoughts?

Here''s an example of the ring (I hope think link works):
http://www.shaneco.com/catalog/my_setting.asp?ProductID=22715&fromPage=&size=5.5&BID=3370783&ssid=479911&cid=DYOR_VBRS_V2&Loc=A12

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your setting is beautiful! I dont think it is the norm to spend more on the setting than on the diamond but I certainly dont see anything wrong with it. Do you plan on keeping the setting the same as you upgrade the diamond? If so I would make sure that the setting can take a larger size head. I think its just a matter of what you find first and really fall in love with first. Its a
beautiful setting and I''m sure that diamond will look georgeous in it. Congratulations!

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
You made a great decision, because you made the decision that fits both of you well, and is something you want. Don''t second guess yourself, I think you did great =)

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
I was in a similar situation (not exactly the same). I wanted at least a 1.75+ for the center stone, but ended up getting a 1.58 because the setting was quite expensive $2,990, which took a huge chunk out of my diamond budget--but oh well!!!--It is my dream setting, so I feel it was totally worth it to get a smaller diamond then I wanted intially. Go with what feels right!!!--if you absolutely LOVE the setting you are getting then go for it!!!

Good Luck!!!
9.gif

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much. We''ll probably end up going up a few hundred in price to get a .70 in the H/I range, but your responses really helped set me at ease.

Dreamer1116

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 11:56:39 PM
Author: caribqueen
Thank you so much. We'll probably end up going up a few hundred in price to get a .70 in the H/I range, but your responses really helped set me at ease.
I am so glad you figured out a way to have both--the diamond size and the setting!!! I am so happy for you!!!
9.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say it is up to you which one you want to spend more money - on the ring or the diamond. You both love the ring so I would say definitely get the ring and you can upgrade the diamond if and when you choose too. I have actually tried on that very ring and it is gorgeous. I think the size of diamond you are getting will look perfect on it. I can''t wait to see the finished ring.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I agree that there is no right or wrong decision. Whatever makes you happy is the right decision. For reference, our diamond represented around 78% of our overall budget.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the support. I call it the starter ring. :)

We ended up trading out the diamond for a .70 I, SI1, which looks great, and would you believe a platinum ring that is similar to the wg but has less diamonds and a thinner band. I hope for his sake, this is the last change on my end - maybe not. Anyway, I kept reading about all of yellowing that can happen with wg and I can''t be bothered. So platinum it is and because the band is thinner w/less diamonds the platinum ring actually cost less. And I did by the way, make sure that it can hold any size diamond. Yeah. Now, I just sit in agony until I get the darn thing.
26.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results