shape
carat
color
clarity

Price for this European cut and is it cheaper than "brilliant" cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sillyRN

Rough_Rock
How much do you think this is worth? looking to buy a diamond stone. I like the fact its a european cut. Or thats what I was told. Lol! But another jeweler told me that european diamonds are not as expensive as newer "brilliant" diamonds. And not to buy it. Im skeptical that I was told that just so I could buy a replacement stone off of her instead. What do you think? I like that european diamonds are hand cut and not like every other diamond you can buy at the store. So what if its not new...Im sure it has a good story to tell if it could talk. So anyone with tips on how much is a good price offer on a loose diamond with these specifications would really help? Give me your advise on all of this. Thanks!!!

European diamond, round, 1.58 carat, dimensions are 7.19x7.23x4.76mm, SI2, color I, symmetry and polish good, no enhancements.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on who graded the stone for color and clarity and how good the stone looks like in person.

OEC are all over the shop in terms of light returns, some can be just nice some not. Also OEC are generally smaller in face up dimension compared to a modern RB of same weight. A modern 1.58c ideally has a diameter of 7.5mm.

This page might give you a rough guide on the OEC pricing.

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv.php?SHAPE=EU&PAGE=35&SORT=WEIGHT

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 7:23:57 AM
Author:sillyRN
How much do you think this is worth? looking to buy a diamond stone. I like the fact its a european cut. Or thats what I was told. Lol! But another jeweler told me that european diamonds are not as expensive as newer 'brilliant' diamonds. And not to buy it. Im skeptical that I was told that just so I could buy a replacement stone off of her instead. What do you think? I like that european diamonds are hand cut and not like every other diamond you can buy at the store. So what if its not new...Im sure it has a good story to tell if it could talk. So anyone with tips on how much is a good price offer on a loose diamond with these specifications would really help? Give me your advise on all of this. Thanks!!!

European diamond, round, 1.58 carat, dimensions are 7.19x7.23x4.76mm, SI2, color I, symmetry and polish good, no enhancements.
There is really no way we can responsibly give you any indication on price with so little info and no grading report, what I would do is look around at some sites that sell old cut diamonds to get an idea of a suitable price to offer., also base this on diamonds which don't have a grading report.

www.jewelsbyericagrace.com

www.faycullen.com

Have a browse through, this might give you some figures to work with.

sillyRN

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all your tips. I have no knowledge in this stuff and this site has helped me so much on learning about diamonds.
34.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 8:19:57 AM
Author: sillyRN
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all your tips. I have no knowledge in this stuff and this site has helped me so much on learning about diamonds.
34.gif
Oh you are most welcome! The links above should give you some idea of a reasonable offer price but do remember the one you are considering has no lab report which will make the value less than one that does have a report.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds to me like you have gotten some good salesmanship. ALL diamonds of this size are "hand cut", but you have to realize every diamond is cut on a steel wheel charged with diamond dust in order to cut it. No hand cutting is used, but it is always mechancial in nature. It is human supervised, more accurately. Old European cut diamonds were cut years ago when less accurate technology for cutting was being employed. They had larger variances in cutting style due to the nature of each piece of rough diamond and the cutter''s relative skill. Today, more uniformity is acheivable and expected in the market for "modern cuts". The name "European Cut" does not promise where the diamond actually was cut, but it is a name for a period of cutting style.

Many of these diamonds are sold mounted and they are graded after they are set which makes the color grade especially likely to be somewhat optimistic. Old cuts tend to face up a better color than their actual color grade, so if you are not going buy this mounted, please verify the accuracy of grading

sillyRN

Rough_Rock
Wow, another lesson learned! Thanks! I will be dreaming of diamonds with all this great tips and research!
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results