shape
carat
color
clarity

POLL: Single Stone or Victor Canera setting - panicking. :(

Which setting/style should I choose for my reset?

• Single Stone

Votes: 54 76.1%
  • Victor Canera

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am having second thoughts about my engagement ring reset, and I wanted to get all of your input. To give you some background, I had my heart set on a HW-inspired setting for over a year, and I was saving up to have Victor Canera create a cushion-shaped halo for my round stone. Then I went to Single Stone on a whim, and I fell in love with one of their settings that was different than anything I had imagined previously. I went ahead and submitted my order, and SS is currently working on the drawings for my setting (no work has been done on an actual ring yet).

Now that it's been a few weeks since I submitted my order, my thoughts are wandering back to the HW style ring. Am I going to regret not going with my original plan? I like that the SS ring is different than what's popular right now, but I do believe that the VC rings are done so nicely that they will not go out of style throughout the years. Here are my thoughts on each style:

SS pros:
- Unique - I haven't seen this style on anybody else
- Setting still gives the ring some "oomph" overall but without being as "blingy" as the HW style
- Engraved halo alleviates any worries I had about my stone showing tint against melee in a halo
- Love at first sight - I had an immediate reaction when I put this ring on

SS Cons:
- Will I tire of the vintage style?
- There will be a sizeable gap between the ring and a wedding band...I don't mind too much, but something to consider
- Will I see HW styles on others and feel a pang of regret? Side note...did anyone see the Bachelorette's ring in the finale this weekend? It's the diamond halo style, and it's gorgeous - it made some of these doubts resurface

VC pros:
- Popular style right now - and for good reason!
- More modern
- Sparkle everywhere
- No wedding band necessary if I go with split shank - or less gap if I go with a single shank

VC cons:
- Diamond halos are so popular right now and I fear they may go out of style
- Contrast between center stone and melee may bother me

So this is me thinking out loud...I would truly appreciate your votes and any opinions you may have on my two options! Also, here are the threads I started when I first went into SS a few weeks ago in case you're interested:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/single-stone-ring-need-suggestions-for-profile-design.177531/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/single-stone-ring-need-suggestions-for-profile-design.177531/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rb-to-oec-recut-before-and-after-pics.177547/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rb-to-oec-recut-before-and-after-pics.177547/[/URL]

The first two pics below are the Single Stone ring, and the last two are VC - obviously. :)

Thank you in advance!!!

_274.jpg

ss2.jpg

_275.jpg

victor2.jpg

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
Re: POLL: Single Stone or Victor Canera setting - panicking.

I can relate to your dilemma, because I initially thought I wanted a HW-inspired halo, too. I ended up going in a completely different direction and getting a unique, custom setting that will never be recreated (by my jeweller, anyway - I know of at least one 'inspired' version). I think the decision was made easier for me because I loved the idea of having a bespoke, completely unique to me setting and generally I like to stand out from the crowd. I'm not a conservative or traditional dresser by any means, so having a slightly more elaborate engagement ring suits my personality and my lifestyle. Does one of the settings you're thinking about feel like a more accurate representation of 'you' than the other?

As you can see from all the posts on PS, Victor does some wonderful work and his settings are really beautiful. They're also really popular, but even then it's unlikely that you're going to bump into someone who has the exact same one as you in real life. On the other hand, the Single Stone setting is far more unique and has some lovely features that you're even more unlikely to find on someone else's ring in real life. And, honestly, if I were choosing between the two, I'd go for the Single Stone ring hands down. You have an old cut stone (like I do), and I feel that setting would be a perfect match for it.

Regardless, you really can't go wrong with either of the options you've selected. They're both beautiful. Good luck!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock

That Single Stone setting is TO DIE FOR :love: :love: :love:

Love it.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

I am simply stunned by that SS setting. There's no way I'd choose anything else. VC's work is nice, but it can't hold a candle to the unique gorgeousness of the SS setting you posted. My goodness, I'm in love! :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really like what you've chosen as well - I don't think you will be disappointed! It's a beautiful setting and one that is unique!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Single Stone for sure! It's more unique and a goes better with your stone.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Personally, I think that the SS ring is classic, but unique. It's not so "out there" that I think you'll get tired of it. I like the idea of having something a little different. It is GORGEOUS!

Didine

Rough_Rock

I love the SS ring.

jacy

Shiny_Rock

Ditto everyone above!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Both are lovely, and beautifully crafted! The SS is more unique and vintage-y, the VC has a modern feel... I don't imagine you'd tire of either, honestly :sun:

ZahraLeyla said:
I can relate to your dilemma, because I initially thought I wanted a HW-inspired halo, too. I ended up going in a completely different direction and getting a unique, custom setting that will never be recreated (by my jeweller, anyway - I know of at least one 'inspired' version). I think the decision was made easier for me because I loved the idea of having a bespoke, completely unique to me setting and generally I like to stand out from the crowd. I'm not a conservative or traditional dresser by any means, so having a slightly more elaborate engagement ring suits my personality and my lifestyle. Does one of the settings you're thinking about feel like a more accurate representation of 'you' than the other?

As you can see from all the posts on PS, Victor does some wonderful work and his settings are really beautiful. They're also really popular, but even then it's unlikely that you're going to bump into someone who has the exact same one as you in real life. On the other hand, the Single Stone setting is far more unique and has some lovely features that you're even more unlikely to find on someone else's ring in real life. And, honestly, if I were choosing between the two, I'd go for the Single Stone ring hands down. You have an old cut stone (like I do), and I feel that setting would be a perfect match for it.

Regardless, you really can't go wrong with either of the options you've selected. They're both beautiful. Good luck!

I heard about this - one of them, anyway. The copy in question falls far short of the detailing and exquisite workmanship so evident in the original, Zahra. I was disgusted to see a jeweller attempt to clone another jeweller's custom work without permission - especially something so unique.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd pick the singlestone option - it just seems to suit the diamond better. If you'd kept it as a RB, then I think the VC would have been perfect for it, but now that it has been cut to an OEC style, it just seems to cry out "put me in the SS"!!! ;))

But it doesn't matter what we say--- its what YOU want that counts! Either direction will be a stunning ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My main objection to the SS ring is the way the head is so wide at the base. It is not a ring that will look right with a wedding band, in my opinion, and that would bother me. The head could be redesigned to swoop up from a smaller base and allow a wedding band to be worn closer to it. I do not like flush fit and that is not what I mean. My general feeling is that I like antique style settings for antique style stones, and I like modern rb's for more contemporary settings. However, Victor's halo I believe is a timeless setting and fine with antique or modern cuts. Just like the original Tiffany setting was set with OEC's and now is set with rb's, it can go both ways.

I tried to find an example of what I am talking about with a smaller base and this one is more or less what I am talking about.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Mountings/The-Bella-Halo-Setting-No/20819644_4XRRWG#!i=1652659465&k=KmwnsvM

Read my tag line, though. Wait if you are uncertain. It is far too much money to rush and have regrets.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1343222994|3239644 said:
My main objection to the SS ring is the way the head is so wide at the base. It is not a ring that will look right with a wedding band, in my opinion, and that would bother me. The head could be redesigned to swoop up from a smaller base and allow a wedding band to be worn closer to it. I do not like flush fit and that is not what I mean. My general feeling is that I like antique style settings for antique style stones, and I like modern rb's for more contemporary settings. However, Victor's halo I believe is a timeless setting and fine with antique or modern cuts. Just like the original Tiffany setting was set with OEC's and now is set with rb's, it can go both ways.

I tried to find an example of what I am talking about with a smaller base and this one is more or less what I am talking about.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Mountings/The-Bella-Halo-Setting-No/20819644_4XRRWG#!i=1652659465&k=KmwnsvM

Read my tag line, though. Wait if you are uncertain. It is far too much money to rush and have regrets.

Just had a thought - if the contrast w/ centerstone is the biggest concern w/ the VC you could ask about single cuts..

The size of the base is definitely something to consider. Dreamer's talked about how she prefers a wider base, I like DS prefer a smaller base but I don't much like when there's no base at all and the band sits totally flush - I like a small gap. But not a giant gap. ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, my, brilliant suggestion to do single cuts on the VC halo, Yssie. :love: :appl:

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock

I prefer SS but voted VC as I feel that's what you really want. From my experience, if I dont get what I really want to begin with, I will still get it in the end.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock

Ditto everyone, your choices are perfection! But I have a soft spot for that SS one with your stone. Why not halo another round gem of your choice with VC down the road? :naughty:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

To me, the rings have such distinctly different looks - one bold and blingy, the other more understated - I think maybe a deciding factor should be your personal style. For me, as much as I love the VC, it's just a little too blingy for my lifestyle and my general taste (as much as I admire its beauty) - I'm just a more understated type of gal in general and prefer my jewelry that way too. But that's just me! Which ring do you think you'd be more comfortable in on an everyday basis? Which ring seems more *you*? Which ring can you envision wearing every day and feel that it suits you perfectly? Did you ever have a chance to try on a ring that was similar in style to the VC so that you know how that style looks and feels on you?

The fact that you fell in love with the SS ring as soon as you put it on is a pretty good indicator you made the right choice IMO. But the fact that you're second guessing your decision a little shows maybe you need a little more time to think it through? As DS said, this is a big expenditure and you should feel 100% sure. It's a tough decision, both settings are beautiful in their own right!

Oh, and I agree with PP's who commented that there will probably be a pretty decent gap when wearing the SS with a band - just another factor to consider.

I just re-read my post and realized I probably haven't helped too much! I guess my bare-bones advice is to choose the setting that just feels most like *you*. I've read several posts during my time here on PS where people have discovered the diamond-ladened halos turned out be inappropriate for daily wear.

Edited for spelling

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

I know that you're second guessing yourself and it's tough while the ring is made. However, you fell in LOVE with it. This second guessing is normal. I also wanted the HW Halo - which was unique at the time I first saw it. In doing more research and waiting a couple years, it's now everywhere and my tastes had changed a bit. Is that why you loved the SS setting? Single Stone work is GORGEOUS and I'm sure it's much more delicate and beautiful in real life.

I'm sure the VC is exquisite and only hear fantastic things about his work - but what do YOU really want? Is this just a normal "cold feet" reaction?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the VC split shank! That one gets my vote. Plus I think it's more classic and timeless than the SS.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like the SS one muchly.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

When I was looking for a setting I had all these notions about what my tastes were from looking at pics online (4 prong, micropave). None of that prepared me for the pull I felt to my setting I found at single stone in person. I never gave two glances to it from the pic on their website and never in a million years did I think I'd love a 6 prong setting. Once it was on my hand I couldn't imagine anything better. So if you've had something on your hand and it looks like it belongs there, that's what I'd get.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

That SingleStone design is fantastic. The only thing I would NOT like about it is the bottom of the basket being SO bulky that there would be a huge gap, and that would make me nuts. So if that could be angled in more so there's no or very little gap, that would be a deal.

I like the VC, but I've seen so many like it that I am indifferent to it, and it doesn't feel special anymore. Also, I feel like you've voiced the opinion of color difference in the side by side of your stone with the melee which would bother you and that to me is a big thing to pay attention to.

ETA: It appears that DS and I share a brain on that SS. lol! I should read other posts first I guess.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock

NO 2SH - stick with the SingleStone setting. It is SO beautiful and unique. Trust me, the indecisiveness will make you go nuts. I lost my mind months ago. I think the work you've done with Ari you will get something special and original. The VC HW halo is way too popular. Your stone is amazing - you need to give it a special setting to show it off! That's my opinion!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

First of all, I just have to say that you guys are the BEST! I truly appreciate all of your endlessly helpful input...and your efforts to talk me down from the ledge. :lol: I think I just had a moment of panic and second-guessing after committing to such a large purchase when I had my mind set on something else for so long. The waiting is probably just messing with my head - I'm sure once I have the ring on my finger, all doubts will be extinguished.

As for my style, I think the SS ring does fit me better overall. My stone already faces up as close to a 2.5ct, and I think I might get self-conscious in certain situations if my setting was overly blingy. The SS setting still achieves my number one goal with my reset, which is to make the overall appearance of my ring a cushion shape, but it also remedies all of the concerns I had with a HW style setting.

Kelpie - I think you hit the nail on the head. I definitely had an instant reaction when I tried the Single Stone ring on, to the point where you could hear my heart beating outside of my body. I had never seen something like it before, so it wasn't something I would have thought I wanted - and I most likely wouldn't have given it a second thought had I seen a photo of it online. This ring completely challenged everything I thought I wanted, and I just instantly knew that it was the one.

DS - I totally get where you are coming from with the base of the ring, and I would have thought the exact same thing had I not tried the ring on in person. The solid base was actually one of the things I really liked, which was shocking to me. I tried on multiple combinations of bands with the ring, and I was surprised that I actually liked how one or two dainty bands looked with it. I also don't mind wearing it alone until I find the right combination. I was looking at Camila Alves' set, and I actually like the effortless look of the gap between her rings. That said, I will ask Ari what he thinks about making the base a bit smaller. It's not a big deal to me, and I don't want to do anything that affects the overall design, but I am curious what he thinks of a more tapered base.

Ok, enough brain dump for now. I truly appreciate all of you helping me work through this. I think the lesson here is that late-night thinking never helped anyone... :roll: :lol:

alves.jpg

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock

Gorgeous! That Single Stone setting is so unique, I can't imagine getting tired of it, especially with your extraordinary stone. I'm eager to hear what you decide, because I've been emailing with Single Stone about a reset (and a recut!) too, though for now I decided to purchase some eternity bands instead while I mull over a reset (in the future - my poor husband!). I think the ring you fell in love with is lovely, and if it pulled on your heart that strongly, I think those feelings will last. How exciting!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I vote SS too, so I'm happy to hear that your feeling comfortable with your decision again! It's going to be absolutely stunning! I am so looking forward to seeing photos when it's finished!! :love: :love:

peasypeas

Rough_Rock

I vote single stone also, it's just stunning!

D

Deactivated member 42515

The SS took my breath away

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock

So the ring fairies must have been hearing my panic...

Ironically enough, Ari from SS called me today to say that he went ahead and created my ring (minus the diamonds and engraving) so that I could see the gallery design we talked about in person rather than just in a drawing. He reassured me that they could start over if I didn't like it or if I wanted to go in a different direction with the design, which is excellent news for a worrier like me. Needless to say, I drove down there immediately, and I was completely BLOWN AWAY by how amazing it looks so far!!!!! The ring isn't even close to done yet, but now I know 1000% that I made the right decision. PHEW. :appl:

One thing that always takes me by surprise is how insanely delicate the Single Stone settings are in person - photos REALLY don't do their settings justice. I always try to keep this in mind, but it tends to be forgotten after hours spent studying zoomed in photos... :roll:

I will add some in-progress photos that I took today to my thread about the gallery/setting. The ring should be completed in about two weeks - now if only I can keep my head on straight until then.. :lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl: Yeah, 2SH!! so glad you are happy and relieved, now that you've seen the gallery!! I'm excited for you - nothing reassures like knowing you've made the right decision. So glad its working out - boy, those are going to be 2 long weeks....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results