shape
carat
color
clarity

Polishing platinum settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sahmama

Rough_Rock
I''m not nuts about the "patina" my rings acquired over four years, so while my jeweler was re-making my e-ring, I had him polish up my wedding band to match.

Now they look brand new again. How do they do this? I hear jewelers talk about a "wheel"--is it something like sanding or sharpening a mower blade? How often can you do this to plat before it wear it down? Is there anything a consumer can do at home to lightly polish, other than u/s cleaning?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. you cant polish it at home
2. it probably has been rhodium plated
3. if you do it every 6 months the ring will be worn out in 5-10 years
4. read the post about platinum patina
5. if you dont like the patina you should have bought Wg and polished and plated it every 6 months, then replace it in 10 years

sahmama

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry, I will just have to learn to live with it then
35.gif
I know they did not rhodium plate it b/c they polished up my band while I waited and he was only gone with it for like two minutes. It''s not a perfect mirror finish just better/less scratched than it was (my wedding band is 2mm plain plat) I love the weight and feel of plat too much to go to wg.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results