shape
carat
color
clarity

Polishing E-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
I could have sworn that I once read a thread about how often a platinum ring could be polished, but I can't find it anywhere! So, I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive with this post...

...but I wanted to know how often everyone has their platinum e-rings and/or wedding bands and/or other platinum rings polished?? I realized this weekend (when my ring came back from repair and was nicely polished) that I really love my ring when it's polished opposed to the patina it gets over about a year. Is polishing the ring every year too much? I don't want to wear the ring down unnecessarily, and I understand that a little metal is lost with each polish....

Thanks everyone!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, from what I understand platinum does not wear away with every polish like gold does.

People like the patina don''t get them re-done. I got mine re-done and it looked great (my other setting)

What I have heard is - that people who don''t like the patina of platinum sometimes get it rhodium plated - like they do with white gold. - To help keep it shiny. But you also have to have that re-done from time to time.

I don''t think it''s an issue to get your ring polished maybe 1 time a year? But I''m sure an expert will chime in!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
From my "education" about Platinum polishing can be done pretty much whenever but really a few times a year should suffice. I like it shiny so I just get it polished every couple months. Looks like new.

When you scratch gold, you are actually taking away metal. Platinum doesn't scratch, it displaces/dents unless you really do a number on it or something. Platinum does not get polished the same way gold does, when you polish gold you shave off a layer of metal to smooth it out. When you polish platinum you move it back to where it was before you banged it up.

I read that on the platinum site and I also was told that by my jeweler.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys for the info.

My comment about losing a very small amount of metal each time it gets polished came from this thread.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Stretch

A few small points,

If you have some deeper dints that you want to get out. They really are scratches, just not the same. Moreover, they are just more displaced then gold and therefore dints by comparison. The jeweller must emery before polishing and as much platinum is removed as with gold because a rough abrasive is used.

Polishing off the patina is no problem, some metal is lost, but nothing to worry about. I''d say, do it when you have an occasion, weekly is far too often. A light polish is nothing at all, only a real work over is harmful. You will get more polishes out of a platinum ring then gold by far (harder (& burnished – surface hardened) alloys last better).

Rhodium plating an unpolished ring makes the scratches more noticeable. It is electroplated, and unlike paint, that will cover a scratch etc. (Most people know about painting). Rhodium is attracted to the jewel by electricity and it concentrates on the exposed areas leaving scratches with less cover then exposed areas.

Rhodium polishes off and if the ring is worn, it is often best to remove the plating as well as cleaning the bad areas to ensure the new plating will look better and last longer. A light polish won''t remove the plating (electroplated metal of any kind is the hardest form that it can be). I am on the verge of being misleading, but if you polish and plate your ring weekly you may be polishing the existing plating and adding to the plating each time.

As your ring was sized it is probably softer and though it may have age hardened to date, & it will harden more over time. Some alloys soften from heat more then others. Another polish/plating may be advisable in the near future if you are so inclined. At least, you should know that the next polish will last better then this one.

As you can see, I am in the frame of mind that your jewel should look its best all the time.

Phillip

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Philip,

Is monthly polishing too often? No big dents/scratches, just to look better.

Thank you,
Lori

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Not likely, the biggest problem comes with overpolishing and it is hard to overpolish platinum. Some alloys polish more easily, but I think monthly is a good rate on average, though I hope that for you, a good clean is enough on most occassions and maybe a buff here or there. I also think that if you keep your jewel shinny you will be more carefull and it looks to me that you will have it in good shape for longer.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Philip! I am careful as can be with jewelry. This is my first plat piece and I have notice the dull or scratches more easily but I love the heaviness of platinum. I took my ring to the jeweler that I purchased it from for polish and it looks brand new again! Thanks for all the information on platinum jewelry.

Best,

Lori
21.gif

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Platinumsmith
36.gif

There were no big dents or anything, just lots of scratches.

So a light polishing every six months or so won''t be too detrimental to the ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results