shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum ring with white gold prongs??

FrankieL

Rough_Rock
In upgrading my e-ring, the jeweler is recommending replacing my platinum prongs with white gold prongs to provide a more secure fit for the diamond. Has anyone ever heard of this? Thank you!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually it's recommended to have platinum prongs... I've never heard of it being recommended to have white gold over platinum for prongs. What I've heard is the platinum is softer, and is more likely to bend rather than break if it experiences a hard blow, and even if it bends and looks funny, it will still hold the diamond. White gold, on the other hand, will either bend one way and then back, leaving the diamond loose, or will snap off, also leaving the diamond loose (or if it happens on more than one prong, lost).

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jewelry-Gems-Minerals-689/Platinum-vs-White-Gold.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very strange. It is usually the opposite...platinum prongs recommended for rings that are gold. My original e-ring was yg with wg prongs and I never had any problem with the prongs other than since gold wears away over time, I had to have the prong tips redone eventually. But under no circumstances would I want wg prongs on a platinum ring. I might be worried about having this jeweler do the work.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never heard of this, either, especially since your ring is platinum. You would want the metals to be consistant or otherwise the WG prongs may develop a slight yellow tint over time.

FrankieL

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reassurance everyone, I thought it sounded a little strange. I'm definitely going to get a second opinion!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
FrankieL|1342837660|3237572 said:
Thank you for the reassurance everyone, I thought it sounded a little strange. I'm definitely going to get a second opinion!

Good idea, that's the weirdest thing I have ever herd, I would use another jeweller.

fayewolf

Rough_Rock
Mike R|1342926598|3237948 said:
FrankieL|1342837660|3237572 said:

Good idea, that's the weirdest thing I have ever herd, I would use another jeweller.

This, aside from the technical issue.... It will be pretty fugly, won't trust him anymore

FrankieL

Rough_Rock
Here's the scoop: in order to place a larger diamond in my current platinum setting they have to lengthen the prongs. To use platinum for the longer prongs, they would have to use high heat to attach the new platinum to the current platinum. The jeweler is saying the due to me having side stones and pave diamonds in the band, it's not safe to use high heat near them as the diamonds could easily burn from the heat. Therefore, they need to replace just the part of the prong that holds the large diamond with white gold since it doesn't require as high of heat, and lessens the chance of the pave diamonds burning. When asked about yellowing, the jeweler stated there would be some yellowing over time, but that due the prongs being small it wouldn't be noticeable (and the prongs could be polished).

Per the jeweler, the only way to keep the prongs all platinum would be to take all of the diamonds out and then put them back in at the end (which is a much more involved and pricey job).

Any thoughts on this?

_265.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrankieL|1343059014|3238558 said:
Here's the scoop: in order to place a larger diamond in my current platinum setting they have to lengthen the prongs. To use platinum for the longer prongs, they would have to use high heat to attach the new platinum to the current platinum. The jeweler is saying the due to me having side stones and pave diamonds in the band, it's not safe to use high heat near them as the diamonds could easily burn from the heat. Therefore, they need to replace just the part of the prong that holds the large diamond with white gold since it doesn't require as high of heat, and lessens the chance of the pave diamonds burning. When asked about yellowing, the jeweler stated there would be some yellowing over time, but that due the prongs being small it wouldn't be noticeable (and the prongs could be polished).

Per the jeweler, the only way to keep the prongs all platinum would be to take all of the diamonds out and then put them back in at the end (which is a much more involved and pricey job).

Any thoughts on this?

Your jeweler does not have the appropriate tools (or possibly experience) to work with platinum. Find a jeweler with a laser welder. Literally call up jewelers and ask if they have a laser welder. Then they can fix the platinum using platinum, which is how it should be done anyway. Get a list of three or so and visit them and talk to the benchperson and see how confident they are that they can do it.

I assume if Mike checks back, he will have much more knowledgeable advice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthfully, I'd put a colored stone in that setting and buy a new setting for the new diamond. There is just too much of a chance that this won't turn out well.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto what distracts says. A laser welder is the proper tool for this job. Find a jeweler that has one or uses a bench that has one. Using a torch and white gold is not the way to go.

It still won't be cheap because laser welders cost a lot and platinum is pricey but it shouldn't cost three arms and five legs, either.

liz

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do also agree with what Gypsy said in one of your other posts, which is that if you're upgrading to 2 cts, what you should do is have the whole basket cut out and replaced with a new one. If you merely lengthen the prongs, the proportions will be wrong. But you'll need a skilled jeweler, and, again, one with a laser welder.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
distracts|1343060203|3238564 said:
FrankieL|1343059014|3238558 said:

Any thoughts on this?

Your jeweler does not have the appropriate tools (or possibly experience) to work with platinum. Find a jeweler with a laser welder. Literally call up jewelers and ask if they have a laser welder. Then they can fix the platinum using platinum, which is how it should be done anyway. Get a list of three or so and visit them and talk to the benchperson and see how confident they are that they can do it.

I assume if Mike checks back, he will have much more knowledgeable advice.

Yes your correct Distracts, great advice, this is not the correct jeweller for the job, a laser welder would make the job very easy but it can also be done without a laser by a jeweller with experiance in platinum work.
In my opininion any jeweller that would suggest adding WG tips to lengthen platinum claws should be avoided at all costs, it will result in an ugly job that will not be very durable at all.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is a gorgeous ring; I wouldn't risk it! Put a beautiful colored stone in it. Who designed the ring? it is stunning!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results