shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum or White Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ThomasG

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone:

My fiance and I are ready to upgrade her ring from the "free" mounting I got when I purchased her diamond.
What it your metal of choice? She has a 1.05 carat round brilliant, F color, VS1 diamond. I''ve seen conflicting information on the web. Platinum is heavier, more durable, but more susceptable to scratching?!? How can that be?

I''m pretty picky when it comes to workmanship. I''ve cruised around the Los Angeles Jewelry Mart and haven''t been too impressed with the quality of the rings (I hope I''m not insulting anyone here, perhaps I''m just looking in the wrong places). I stumbled across www.dimendscaasi.com and they seem to have some good looking pieces. Anybody have any experience with them, or other recommendations?

Thanks, and I really enjoy reading this forum!

Thomas

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go for platinum all the way. It is more durable and heavy. Sure it scratches but so does white gold. When platinum scratches it becomes patina which some people prefer to the just polished look. If you like the just polished look it is easier to have platinum polished. White gold may fade to yellow with time and will need to be replated...

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go with platinum! My gf''s jeweler told her that 18K white gold was stronger than platinum, so she went with the white gold. Well, she is also an obsessive e-ring cleaner and her ring is now a faint yellow.
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results