shape
carat
color
clarity

Plastic resin images -- mixed feelings; please help!

lemonlimekisses

Rough_Rock
The plastic resin images are here and I feel mixed.. a little discouraged, a little tired, and a little silly.

The image on the left is with a higher basket -- I asked for it to be lower 1mm and they were able to lower it .7mm (in the image on the right). The basket looks wide and bulky but I was reassured that it would be 1.5mm.

I don't know, I'm not sure what I was expecting. I think I'm just neurotic that I'm going to mess this up and it'll end up looking terrible and I'll hate it.. and it'll be my fault!

The diamond is an antique cushion 6.77x6.66 and the shank will be 1.75mm, in 18k rose gold. There will be diamonds on the basket - I've attached a CAD image.

Does anyone have any feedback? I don't know, part of me feeling like I'll love it once it's done.. and the other part of me wishes I had just gone with someone else, who could have made the ring w/ little input/guidance (I had a quote from someone who had made the same ring I wanted before).

Thanks for your advice and help..

screen_shot_2014-06-16_at_0.png

kkrr2__2_.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were mine I would have the "side bars" on the basket made thinner and have them widen the base of the head just enough so that you can see the point of the stone peeking out under the "side bars".
Other than that, the rings always look bulky magnified but are more delicate in person.

Do you have an image of the ring that inspired you?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps it is the angle as the pictures are not lined up exactly, but the new version doesn't look much lower. The bar simply looks a little wider. See if you can have the bar narrowed a bit but still allow the pave diamonds on the bar. This is ERD right? I will say that they are very good with their proportions and the resins and CAD do look more bulky than the final product since they have to have a bit of metal room to shave off and polish before all is said and done.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. The diamond doesn't look much lower and the side bar is way too wide. I would not accept it as it is. I'd want to see the culet of the diamond showing beneath the bar.

lemonlimekisses

Rough_Rock
The thing is, I've asked for these things and I am getting reasons why they are not possible. I don't know what else to do... I also want to see the cutlet below the bar and I want it thinner and I want the whole thing set lower. I don't know what to do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the reasons these changes are not possible, per ERD?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1403101420|3695693 said:
What are the reasons these changes are not possible, per ERD?

Ditto.
We can't make educated suggestions without access to all the information you've been given.

lemonlimekisses

Rough_Rock
Without quoting emails, it was:
1. It should not be set any lower (the image on the right is .7mm lower) because it will look flat
2. The bar has to be that wide for the pave

I was inspired by these two settings:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-journey-to-a-symmetrical-asscher.188468/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-journey-to-a-symmetrical-asscher.188468/[/URL]

and

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-victor-canera-alaria-solitaire-with-erd-old-mine-cushion.186000/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-victor-canera-alaria-solitaire-with-erd-old-mine-cushion.186000/[/URL]

At this point, I don't know if I should forego my deposit and go with someone else. The thing is, I haven't paid my deposit yet because I have not been invoiced...

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all don't throw in the towel just yet. Be persistent and clear about how you want these details. This is a fairly simple design that should be easily achieved to your satisfaction. There may just be a communication disconnect. Explain that you like the look of the side bar, i.e. width in the first rendering, but just lower it not widen it.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you ask for melee of a certain size such that they need the bar that wide? What is a flat look? As in diamond table nearly touching the bar? If so, can you change the melee size or remove one melee per bar so that the bar can be lowered?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Bonfire|1403106642|3695747 said:
First of all don't throw in the towel just yet. Be persistent and clear about how you want these details. This is a fairly simple design that should be easily achieved to your satisfaction. There may just be a communication disconnect. Explain that you like the look of the side bar, i.e. width in the first rendering, but just lower it not widen it.

x2. If your number 1 priority is to have the stone lower, I would ask them what needs to happen to get the stone lower. Whatever you do, do not sign off on anything you are not sure you love.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would want it dropped down at least 2mm more. I do not like dead space (as I think I said on your previous thread). What size pointers is ERD using for the pave? The image is too small for me to see what kind of pave they're doing - will you have milgrained edges or just u-cut pave? I don't mind the width of the bar but it seems wide for pave without milgrain (like there will be a lot of extra metal around the stones, unless they're larger point stones). I hope that makes sense. Don't be discouraged - it can take a lot of back and forth to get to the final product!

lemonlimekisses

Rough_Rock
liaerfbv|1403121078|3695926 said:
I would want it dropped down at least 2mm more. I do not like dead space (as I think I said on your previous thread). What size pointers is ERD using for the pave? The image is too small for me to see what kind of pave they're doing - will you have milgrained edges or just u-cut pave? I don't mind the width of the bar but it seems wide for pave without milgrain (like there will be a lot of extra metal around the stones, unless they're larger point stones). I hope that makes sense. Don't be discouraged - it can take a lot of back and forth to get to the final product!

They will be 1mm. He said bright cut, no milgrain.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Step back from the ledge! I do think you are being neurotic ;)) To be honest, I am not sure what you are so upset about? I think this is a problem of you visualizing the finished piece from a wax and nothing more.

The cross bar is going to have 1mm diamonds on it, so it clearly cannot be thinner than that. It will be thinner when done because it will be cut out, have diamond set, and it will be polished.. Try confirming that the cross bar will be about the same thickness as the diamonds.

The diamond is not set, so you cannot judge height of the solitaire based on the table height between the two pictures. Look at the space between the donut and the cross bar -- the new version is clearly lower. That will automatically make the basket more "squat" because the bars are wider to accommodate the greater width of the girdle lower down their length.

I personally think it looks like you have requested it to look! Its just not done yet. ETA: "looks like you asked" meaning its very low set and delicate. I do not think you want it lower. You need space between the donut and cross bar to make it look graceful. I actually prefer the first wax, and I like low set rings.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lemonlimekisses|1403101276|3695692 said:
The thing is, I've asked for these things and I am getting reasons why they are not possible. I don't know what else to do... I also want to see the cutlet below the bar and I want it thinner and I want the whole thing set lower. I don't know what to do.

The pavilion depth of your diamond may limit this option depending on its make. You have a 1.5mm cross-bar, and the girdle needs to rest above the cross-bar -- let's say 0.5mm -- so you need a pavilion depth at least 3.5mm or more to see 1mm of pavilion below a pave cross-bar of that width I would think. If your cushion is very "crowny" you may have to choose the cross-bar with pave or the culet view! Do you know the pavilion depth in mm from your lab report?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

What exactly do you want lowered 2mm? I am not being snarky, I am curious and would like you to explain more. To me it looks like in the right hand wax there is maybe 1.5mm between the top of the donut and the bottom of the cross-bar (assuming the cross-bar itself is 1.5mm as indicated by ERD). There is no way to lower the basket another 2mm, clearly, without the cross-bar hitting the donut. Thinning the cross bar is not possible because it will hold 1mm pave, and needs a certain thickness, according to what ERD said.

I know I am hammering on this, but I am afraid that the advice in this thread might be leading the OP astray.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1403123279|3695953 said:

What exactly do you want lowered 2mm? I am not being snarky, I am curious and would like you to explain more. To me it looks like in the right hand wax there is maybe 1.5mm between the top of the donut and the bottom of the cross-bar (assuming the cross-bar itself is 1.5mm as indicated by ERD). There is no way to lower the basket another 2mm, clearly, without the cross-bar hitting the donut. Thinning the cross bar is not possible because it will hold 1mm pave, and needs a certain thickness, according to what ERD said.

I know I am hammering on this, but I am afraid that the advice in this thread might be leading the OP astray.

So glad you replied to this - typed too fast and I meant 1mm (not 2). I agree there's not room to drop it down that low. What I meant was for me, it would be more important for there to be no dead space under the diamond over anything else and I would ask ERD to change the design to make that the case. Sorry if that was unclear!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The crossbar where the pave will be definitely looks wider on the second piece. I'm not sure why ERD says its the same, unless the basket on the second piece will be cut down more. I would ask them to recheck this so that you might be able to pull up the bottom of the basket to expose the culet. I think the second piece's height looks good to me.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1403122898|3695946 said:
lemonlimekisses|1403101276|3695692 said:

The pavilion depth of your diamond may limit this option depending on its make. You have a 1.5mm cross-bar, and the girdle needs to rest above the cross-bar -- let's say 0.5mm -- so you need a pavilion depth at least 3.5mm or more to see 1mm of pavilion below a pave cross-bar of that width I would think. If your cushion is very "crowny" you may have to choose the cross-bar with pave or the culet view! Do you know the pavilion depth in mm from your lab report?

Good math Dreamer! You make a great point that the current stone needs to fit the design. The inspiration pics both had larger stones which = larger pavilion depth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results