carat
color
clarity

Pear Help!

hotrock

Rough_Rock

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Does it have to be internally flawless? I think both of those pears have the culet hitting a little far back if that makes sense. minimal bow tie though. maybe ask for an aset to see how they perform?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tips of those pears seem a tad dead
As for your clarity. there are some cultures that hold color and clarity in very high regard. I am not sure if you're in that category or not. If you are not, do not limit yourself to high clarity. Pears are hard to find because many of them are not well cut. So by limiting yourself to a specific clarity, your reducing the pool. You dont want to do that. Typically the best way to search for pears is by picking a minimal color and clarity (usually just eye clean) and seeing if you can find any that are well cut.

I picked an H as the lowest color and left the clarity open ended. I put the price at 5500 based off your other stones, and i found this. I think the tip looks more lively than the above posted.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-305456
Notice its a ct, but the size is 9.1x5.5 ish. Compare that to the other stones your looking at. Right on track with the other stones you looked at, even though the CTW is higher.
This one also has high clarity, but thats not why you pick a pear, you pick one that ha the nicest cut

hotrock

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the reply and responses!

I am awaiting ASET images from James Allen so I can see it a little better. These fancy cuts, pears especially seem tricky. I don't exactly know how to determine if it is a good cut. I'll also try and get an aset image of the one Niel suggested. I can't tell too much by the picture.

If you have other suggestions it will certainly help.

Some other info. I'm looking to get a generic solitaire band to present to her and then we can go shopping for a good setting together. She wears a 4.5 ring size.

This is all so exciting!

Mahalo for the help!
Hot rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your top of your budget for the stone?

hotrock

Rough_Rock
6k I wanted to have around 3-4k wiggle room for a nice setting later on. So just around 8-10k total.

hotrock

Rough_Rock
Ah I see so I noticed with those stones the cutlet is more centered in relation to the entire stone. Vs my initial suggestion which has it more centered over the round portion of the pear.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Would you say my initial choices were poor based on what data we already have?

I am looking at these suggestions on my phone while on a beach in Hawaii so it's kind of hard to tell!

Aloha!
Hotrock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not in love with the original two.the tips don't seem to have much sparkle to them. The fat part or the"butt" have a fair amount but the trouble with pears are those tips.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1408821763|3738166 said:
I am not in love with the original two.the tips don't seem to have much sparkle to them. The fat part or the"butt" have a fair amount but the trouble with pears are those tips.

Is that the official gemological nomenclature? :razz:

Hotrock, I completely agree with Niel's assessments of your original two picks, and I recommend that you listen very carefully to her suggestions.

Also, if it's not too late, I would advice you to cancel your ASET request with JA a.s.a.p.! You only get to request a total of three ASET's from them, and you will waste two ASETs if you use them on pear diamonds that we can already tell are not great just by seeing the 360 view. If you are able to cancel your ASET request, then work with Niel (and others here) to pick out three good candidates from JA's selection, which you can then get ASETs for to make your final selection.

hotrock

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice!

I canceled the ASETs and will continue to look around.

Regarding the 2 diamonds posted by Niel. The larger stone seemed to be too oval. I don't think she would like that shape. the cute one has a very nice look to it but unsure if that is the size she would like.

...and the search continues!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your last choice looks pretty nice. The point isnt to lively but it's mostly a fat pear anyway.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This last pear is a little too "fat" for my tastes: L:W of 1.39 is outside the trade norms of 1.50 - 1.75.
However, some people like fat pears.

I always looks for nice shape appeal and girdle outline, and minimal bow-tie.

FWIW, my pear has a 1.62 L:W ratio, right smack in the middle of the trade norms.

With pears, you really have to see the pear with your own eyes.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
hotrock|1408915904|3738645 said:
Opinions on this pear?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.21-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-325103

Is that a better choice than previous options?

Thanks for all the help!

Since you clearly do pay attention to shape (as I gather by your comments on the "povals" that were suggested above), I will assume that you and your gf do like this aspect ratio. If that's accurate, then don't let the trade "norms" dissuade you. With fancy cuts, much of the selection comes down to personal preferences.

That being said, in my personal opinion, this pear that you picked is an excellent performer. It's definitely a huge improvement over your first two picks.

If you do want something closer to the industry "recommended" L/W ratios, here are two other options that have decent performance (IMO):
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.12-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-19672
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.18-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-289830

From my interpretation of the 360 views, both of these last two are somewhat less "lively" in the points than your most recent pick, or especially Niel's picks. However, this is the nature of the pear cut: it is very difficult to get scintillation in the point, unless the culet is closer the the point (i.e., looking like a "poval" shape), or the L/W ratio is on the chubby side, or both.

P.S. To search for the diamonds suggested above, I assumed your minimal criteria were 1.10ct+ weight, I+ color, SI1+ clarity. If you have more leeway on the parameters, let us know.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
hotrock|1408919709|3738670 said:
Thanks for the input. Yes I thought that pear had a little more "butt" than tip :lol: But it has a nice look.

How is this choice? better or worse? I know price is a bit different but hey I am only planning to do this once.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.25-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-362902

Mahalo again for all the posts!

That one has OK distribution of scintillation throughout the body, but the problem is the facets are very fuzzy (out-of-focus looking), not crisp like in the others that have been suggested. I don't know enough about diamonds to know what causes this, or what it would look like IRL (when the actual size of the diamonds is much smaller than in the pictures) compared to a crisp-faceted diamond. However, the consensus is that fuzzy/mushy facets are not a positive attribute in a diamond.

But I noticed also how this last pick of yours does have a culet closer to the center (so maybe you're becoming a little more relaxed about this type of cut), and you apparently don't mind "big butts" =) (i.e., low L/W ratios) as per your previous pick before this one. Thus, you may wish to go back and reconsider this pear that Niel had suggested initially:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.03-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-243613

Also, if you are open to SI2 diamonds (and remember that you can always ask the gemologist to verify whether they are "eye-clean", i.e., whether you'll actually notice any of the inclusions IRL), then the following pears seem to have some potential, in my opinion:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.40-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-sku-230546
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.21-carat-d-color-si2-clarity-sku-361039
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.11-carat-d-color-si2-clarity-sku-327082

Make sure you get a second opinion from Niel or someone else with more experience than me, though.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that 1.03 ct I is still my favorite of the bunch, and if youre worried about size i would point out that 1, her finger is itty bitty, and 2, you have so much left for a setting she could halo it or get side stones if she needed more umph

heres what that particular stone would look like on a finger her size

_21622.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Hotrock

Congratulations on your impending engagement! I was reading your posts and just wanted to throw in my 2c worth re color. Due to the concentration of facets in the tip, pear shaped stones can show an increased warmth on the tip which isn’t visible in the ‘butt’ end. As a result, you can get almost a graduated color effect which is why, when I’ve bought pears, I tend to stay to F/G or above. I do like warm stones – but in pears you can get an unevenness in color which I find disconcerting.

Also, ratio never tells the whole story, since the widest point on a pear differs from stone to stone – even if the ratios are the same. So it’s important to eyeball for a pleasing overall aesthetic. However, having said that, I like pears at the stumpier end of the range, and tend to keep my pears always below a 1.6 ratio, down to even below 1.4.

I realize that this is an SI2 stone, but the inclusions may well be invisible in this stone when seen at real size, and I think the shape of this is lovely and the bowtie almost non-existent. The table is also small, which I prefer on pears as I think it effects the visibility of the bowtie. The size seems to be in the range you’re looking at, and the price is low:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.20-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-121341

For something slightly more elongated – there’s this one with a gorgeous shape. Again, the table is on the smaller side:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.19-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-325109

A bit more of a bowtie than I like to see, and slightly warmer than I like – but lovely faceting, particularly in the tip:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.29-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-278278

I’m including this last one because it’s so well shaped and it has a very small table, very little bow tie, is very white, nice and clean, and a generous size. This would make a beautiful stone for a ring.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.25-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-362902

I hope some of these are of use in helping you form an opinion. Good luck!

(and just to break ALL my own rules and to look at 'dream diamonds' - here's my dream pear: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/3.02-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-325038)

hotrock

Rough_Rock
You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the input.

I tried to attach an example photo of the shape she liked. Not the best picture but it seems that a 1.4-1.5 ratio. I should caveat all of this with saying I am in a Long distance relationship so shopping and finding out what she likes is a bit more difficult from afar.

Mrs blop u have an excellent point regarding color. I was thinking the G range would be the lowest I'd go because of those issues.

I will say tho that Niels big "butt" suggestion =) is growing on me!

I wanted to stick with James Allen because of their great return policy. I haven't gone shopping with her in person yet. She isn't too picky about color clarity or even if it's real. But it is something that is important to me. To know that I got an awesome quality diamond for her.

All great suggestions keep em coming!

Gonna try attach a photo. Doesn't seem to work on my phone

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
does she like that setting too?

I ask only because- has she said she wants to pick out the setting? Because some people (me included) love that sort of thing, but others get a tad sentimental and attached to the setting you propose with.

If we knew she liked that setting, james allen has a few.

hotrock

Rough_Rock
She does not like the setting. Just the shape of the diamond and the halo or head part. I believe that picture was a Tacori piece.

The idea of picking out a setting together (even the diamond) is something that is important to her. I just know going to brick and mortar stores make it much more expensive and the internet option brings a good value.

I was thinking of finding the right diamond online with a generic setting (I don't think she will be sentimental about it) and then either build or get the right setting together using that diamond.

James allen seems like the best option for me in light of my situation(LDR). I like the option of being able to return it at least within the 60 day timeframe. It will give us a chance to compare the best online selection with what is out there at brick and mortar. I have a feeling once I have diamond in hand it will probably win out a lot of other B&M stores based on value and quality and she would probably go with what I picked (with all your awesome input).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hotrock|1408927928|3738732 said:
She does not like the setting. Just the shape of the diamond and the halo or head part. I believe that picture was a Tacori piece.

The idea of picking out a setting together (even the diamond) is something that is important to her. I just know going to brick and mortar stores make it much more expensive and the internet option brings a good value.

I was thinking of finding the right diamond online with a generic setting (I don't think she will be sentimental about it) and then either build or get the right setting together using that diamond.

James allen seems like the best option for me in light of my situation(LDR). I like the option of being able to return it at least within the 60 day timeframe. It will give us a chance to compare the best online selection with what is out there at brick and mortar. I have a feeling once I have diamond in hand it will probably win out a lot of other B&M stores based on value and quality and she would probably go with what I picked (with all your awesome input).

I think your idea about JA is a good one!

I just wanted to mention it because it actually is a concern for sme women, but doesnt sound like it is for you, so thats great!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

According to the GIA, the "butt" is actually the "head".

20140825_072806_resized.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1408977251|3738939 said:

According to the GIA, the "butt" is actually the "head".

OK.... I never said it was the technical term, I just prefer it. Haha. ;-)

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
hotrock|1408927928|3738732 said:

I don't know if you were aware, but when you buy a loose diamond from James Allen, they do provide a simple temporary diamond holder that is shaped like a ring. It is sufficiently secure that you could use it for the proposal, if you plan to go shopping for a setting together afterwards. However, the holder should probably not be worn like a ring for prolonged periods of time, so if you think she'll want to wear it on her finger the next day, then you may be better off with a "real" temporary setting.

This thread has some pictures to show what the diamond holder contraption looks like:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...r-pics-of-my-stone-going-to-leon-today.87414/

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pear and tried on quite a few before I found the shape I liked best on my hand. It's great that she gave you a picture. I found I love fat pears and did not care for the long skinny ones on my hand. It's personal preference with a pear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results