shape
carat
color
clarity

patina on platinum - anyone have a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
hello Again....

Ok so basically we were finally ready to fork over the dollars for the platinum and of course I had to continue my research here on pricescope and now realized I totally forgot that platinum can get a patina (this has been the longest project ever!). Arrrrgggghhhh, another wrench thrown in the mix here. I am really concerned that I will not care for the patina that platinum takes on.

The ring I am looking at would have diamonds on the top and sides, so maybe i wouldn''t really care about the patina issue since most of the metal will be hidden... but does the ring having melee make it more costly for me to have polished because of the melee issue? (also another questions just popped into my mind....why am I paying the high platinum prices when the band is mostly hidden?)

Does anyone have any pictures of what the patina looks like on platinum rings so I can see it in person, I am not sure I have ever noticed it before.

Sitting here trying to weigh the white gold issue vs. the platinum. Thought the platinum had won until I remembered about the Patina!

So it is either get white gold and keep replating or get the platinum and worry about it turning grey and scratched looking. I think I prefer the shiny look - I might not be happy with a grey patina.

Help! What are your thoughts?

Layne

Shiny_Rock
i just took some pictures for you- attached below.
Keep in mind that these are very large files so you can really see the minor things- when I look at my rings they are much more shiney than dull. I also included my husband''s ring, his was purchased as brushed plat (2 years old) and mine (3 years old, with 1 polishing) was polished plat.

patina23.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The patina on white gold looks like an old nickel vs a new shiny one.
The patina on new silver cutlery is shiny and brassy - but the cutlery that is used every day in a hotel has a warm glow.
Platinum will be somewhere between the 2 - but never ever polish it - or you start all over again!

Layne

Shiny_Rock
well, i have more pictures but I can''t get them to upload. will try back later.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Here''s a pic of my rings in platinum. I have had them 5 years and they have never been polished. I also have a 5mm band in white gold. I wear it while doing everyday things like cooking, cleaning, etc. It was fairly inexpensive so I don''t care if it gets beat up. I like always wearing a band. It does however have a "yellow" tint to it that I do not like and wouldn''t like with my ering. I happen to like that patina look of platinum though....good luck, i''m sure your ring will be beautiful whichever you choose.

mrssalvo2.jpg

TLS

Shiny_Rock
thanks for posting pictures both of you. I think your rings look beautiful, so I don''t think I would have a problem if that is what a patina looks like.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to post more pics for you but I could not get them to upload. I think you will be pleased that you went with plat. I love mine.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I too had a hard time deciding between white gold and platinum. In my case, the white gold won out because very little of the metal is visible with the design of my ring.

Having had many rings in white gold, I have found that as long as I don''t get my white gold rings sized then they do not discolor. Only the rings that I have had to get sized have taken on the yellowish hue in the center area of the back of the band which leads me to believe that is the area where they adjusted the size. So if the ring is not the correct size, which it usually does fit, I have one ordered in my size from the manufacturer. Yes, it takes longer..but I get a ring that doesn''t discolor.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of patina, does anyone have side-by-side photos of new platinum and patina to see the difference better?

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have pictures, but I just had my platinum rings "polished to new" (for free) and they look absloutely perfect! Had to leave them for a couple of days, but well worth it for the outcome! klr

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results