shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Lorelei - Belgian Cuts?????????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone please tell me what Belgian cut diamonds are? I was in a retail shop a couple of days ago and the shop assistant told me the stones in a ring he was showing me were top quality belgian cuts.

Are they good diamonds or just diamonds cut in Belgian (hopefully I have the spelling correct). Await your responses, I''m sure you would know Lorelei
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Monny!

There are 2 definitions of the term ' Belgian Cut" that I am aware of. The first, I remember reading Garry saying a long time ago that Belgian Cuts have a typically steep crown angle along with an acceptable pavilion ( I would take this to mean no more than 40.6 degrees pavilion angle preferably). This seems similar to some of the fiery ideal cut features.

The second is that a diamond is cut in Antwerp Belgium rather than a style of cutting, however these days from what I understand not all diamonds are crafted from start to finish in this country. Paul or one of the others might be able to elaborate on this.

I am not sure which is exactly the accepted meaning in the trade these days, but I would say to be very careful with so called Belgian Cuts and evaluate each carefully as you would any diamond. As you know just because a diamond has such and such label attached to it is "usually" no guarantee of a certain level of cut quality or beauty.

Hope this helps!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
More than likely it was a standard RB that might have been cut in Belgium.

The antique Antwerp cut is credited as having a:
70% table 45 degree crown and a 32 degree pavilion and a pointed culet.

Source: American cut the first 100 years page 114

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank''s Lorelei and Karl for your expert knowledge. So it would be fair to say that they would be very good quality stones even if not necessarily cut in Belgian from start to finish. I have been told that a lot of stones are now being sent to India to be cut due to the cheap labour. Does it really matter where a diamond is from provided it is well cut. Like EGL, just expect the stone to be a H or I if G is on the certicate.

Another question I have for you both is that, is there really any visible difference between 0.30pt diamonds say Excellent to VG cut/ clarity EVS1 to to ESi1''s. The cost varies quiet a lot. I am looking at having an eternity style band with 7 X 0.30pt round brilliants made.

Lorelei, your avatar pic, is that Andy Pandy and I can''t remember her name
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2009 5:40:06 AM
Author: Monnyjay
Thank's Lorelei and Karl for your expert knowledge. So it would be fair to say that they would be very good quality stones even if not necessarily cut in Belgian from start to finish. I have been told that a lot of stones are now being sent to India to be cut due to the cheap labour. Does it really matter where a diamond is from provided it is well cut. Like EGL, just expect the stone to be a H or I if G is on the certicate.

Another question I have for you both is that, is there really any visible difference between 0.30pt diamonds say Excellent to VG cut/ clarity EVS1 to to ESi1's. The cost varies quiet a lot. I am looking at having an eternity style band with 7 X 0.30pt round brilliants made.

Lorelei, your avatar pic, is that Andy Pandy and I can't remember her name
35.gif
'Tis Andy Pandy and Looby Lou!

Here we go Looby Lou!

Here we go Looby Light...

Here we go Looby Lou....

All on a Saturday night!

With these Belgian Cut diamonds I would be cautious and check each one carefully as you would any other round diamond on its proportions etc. As to where it is cut, to me it makes no difference as long as the job is done well.

With the 30 pointers as long as they are well cut and are eyeclean, you won't notice any visual difference between E VS or E SI.

Those would make a fabulous eternity band!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
That''s hilarious, I remember now it was a loooooong time ago I was only a bubba, lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2009 6:20:52 AM
That's hilarious, I remember now it was a loooooong time ago I was only a bubba, lol
Hehehe! I will bring a little memory to you....

click here....
face23.gif

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank''s Lorelei, now I have Lobby Lou on the brain, isn''t it funny how things come back to you
9.gif
As for the diamond info that puts my mind at ease, if there is no visual difference I will go for vg Esi1 to bring the cost down unless I can get a good deal. Our dollar is a shocker at the moment, should have done this 12 months ago, never mind.

The housework is being neglected, better get back to it. Thank''s again Lorelei you are a treasure, always so helpful.
35.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the sales-assistant mentioned the fact that they were cut in Belgium as a by-the-way-statement, that might have interested you but that did not imply that the stone was superior because of that, that is fine. It is interesting information, and that is it.

If however, it was mentioned to imply that the stone was superior especially in comparison to those coming out of so-called Indian sweat-shops, it is a strategy of scaring the customer into a sale. It is incorrect and unacceptable, and raises question-marks about the integrity of the seller.

Live long,

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
I just watched it, how gorgeous they don''t make kids shows quiet so innocent anymore. I had to watch a bit of the Magic Roundabout as well. Must have been around early 70''s
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2009 6:39:18 AM
I just watched it, how gorgeous they don't make kids shows quiet so innocent anymore. I had to watch a bit of the Magic Roundabout as well. Must have been around early 70's
1.gif
I know, precious memories! Yes the MR was early seventies, that was another of my faves as were Bill and Ben Flowerpot Men. Flobablobalobs!

And thanks for the very sweet words!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2009 6:38:38 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
If the sales-assistant mentioned the fact that they were cut in Belgium as a by-the-way-statement, that might have interested you but that did not imply that the stone was superior because of that, that is fine. It is interesting information, and that is it.

If however, it was mentioned to imply that the stone was superior especially in comparison to those coming out of so-called Indian sweat-shops, it is a strategy of scaring the customer into a sale. It is incorrect and unacceptable, and raises question-marks about the integrity of the seller.

Live long,
Thanks Paul!

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thank''s Paul, he didn''t say they were actually cut in Belgium he said they were Belgium cut diamonds (I thought this was something like acas, eternity, hof etc). I was just interested in knowing if in fact they are good quality diamonds - minus specs, just looking at them (having an ideal cut rb) they looked lovely diamonds.

Also he was not comparing them to indian sweat shops ( I could have worded that more clearly). It was another diamond trader who mentioned this is what is going on a lot now due to the cheap labour. Does anyone really know exactly where their diamond originates from???

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/30/2009 6:52:04 AM
Thank''s Paul, he didn''t say they were actually cut in Belgium he said they were Belgium cut diamonds (I thought this was something like acas, eternity, hof etc). I was just interested in knowing if in fact they are good quality diamonds - minus specs, just looking at them (having an ideal cut rb) they looked lovely diamonds.

Also he was not comparing them to indian sweat shops ( I could have worded that more clearly). It was another diamond trader who mentioned this is what is going on a lot now due to the cheap labour. Does anyone really know exactly where their diamond originates from???
Belguim is a market - like a clearing house - for rough and for polished diamonds. A lot pass through there.

Diamonds from Belguim are rarely polished in Belguim. Those that are would make up maybe 1% or so by quantity and maybe 5% by value.

Probably as Paul and others indicated - the salesperson was suggesting Belguim = better. I am afraid that is far too simplistic. Some of the cheapest labour mellee comes out of the far east and is cut to strict formula and is probably called "russian cut" which is just as silly as calling something belgian cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results