shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions selecting stones for my 3 stone ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
OK just to recap my recut diamond is a G/H SI1 eyeclean stone. Diameter for this stone is 6.0. This is one I am having held as the matching side stone.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040397620047

what do you think of this as a center stone? Originally I was thinking a 7.3 diameter about 1.5 carats G SI1 but once I looked at the above stones with a 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7 carat of course I loved the 1.7. I like this diameter ratio. This pushes me over budget. Cannot afford a G SI1 at 1.7 carat. I looked at an I color stone and really couldn''t tell a difference next to the 2 above stone. Maybe I am not very color sensitive or maybe I was blinded by all the sparkles? Brian will check that this stone is eyeclean. Opinions are appreciated
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040399230018

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I''m always happy to hear an EGL graded stone was actually graded similar to what
GIA/AGS would have graded it! I wish we could see more of them. Post pictures when you get
them!

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
My original stone was not EGL. Any opinions on the matching stones?

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would just ask Brian if he could hold the 1.7 up to the smaller diamond and explain what the color difference is. Is your first diamond a super ideal cut like the other two are going to be? If not, I would be concerned that all 3 of the diamonds do not match, but once again, I'd just ask Brian his opinion!

Edit: I just looked back at your older posts and see that Brian recut your first diamond, so disregard the part I said about cut!!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you notice much size difference between 1.5 and 1.7? From pics and vids it seems the size difference is pretty small (.2mm) and in real life, once set in a three stone, you really would not notice such a small difference.

If your diamond is a G/H then I personally would feel more comfortable with a second H color side stone if I was selecting I color for the center. You are the only one who will ever give a hoot about the color of your diamond, though, so as long as they match in your eyes then do what you like!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
And it is interesting to me that you could not tell the difference between an I and a G! I am considering dropping color to go larger so your opinion intrigues me.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer I am surprised to see there was such a small difference in the size of the 1.5 and 1.7 because I could tell the difference. I am thinking I am really not very color sensitive. But have decided I want to look again at the I stone next to my G/H. I am really questioning myself now. As it becomes decision time I am really stressing myself out. I''ve had several mornngs when my alarms went off and I was dreaming about stones!!! This is making me nervous I feel like I am picking the name for my first child!

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
bump
19.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2010 10:34:55 AM
Author: cemrn
bump
19.gif
Hi Christie

I will take a look at your selections for you then come back with some thoughts
35.gif

The centre stone looks great, no concerns there from what I can tell, with the sidestone if Brian thinks its a good match for the recut then that sounds excellent.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 9:35:51 AM
Author: cemrn
Dreamer I am surprised to see there was such a small difference in the size of the 1.5 and 1.7 because I could tell the difference. I am thinking I am really not very color sensitive. But have decided I want to look again at the I stone next to my G/H. I am really questioning myself now. As it becomes decision time I am really stressing myself out. I''ve had several mornngs when my alarms went off and I was dreaming about stones!!! This is making me nervous I feel like I am picking the name for my first child!
I too am trying to make a big decision about my upgrade and it is making me batty
2.gif
I keep thinking I will have a moment of clarity, but I know myself, and I know how I make decisions about spending money, and I know that will not happen
4.gif

I think in your case you need to just trust Brian and his guidance. You are so lucky you can see the diamonds in person! Oh how I wish I had that opportunity. Sigh.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer you are so right! I am very lucky to have Brian Gavin here and be able to view the stones. In fact I went back in today and brought a second pair of eyes (my husband). I told Brian I wanted to see the size difference again between a 1.5 and 1.7. I was able to easily spot the difference. Then I told him I wanted to see and H vs and I. The laid out 4 H&A stones G-J and asked me to pick the J. It''s official I am color blind! Neither my husband or I could tell. They were all just gorgeous. He said well if you cannot tell which is the G then why pay for a G. He went on that if you know you want and G and a G is going to make you happy then by all means get a G. But if you don''t have it in your mind you need a G then.............??? Well I didn''t think my mind would play into what my eyes were seeing. It did but only a little. I chose the I 1.7 and the G .8 that were listed at the beginning of my thread. Why didn''t I chose the J??? I have no good reason really, isn''t that silly? Anyway I was so grateful to have Brian hand hold me through this experience. In total he spent over 4+ hours with us over several meetings. What personalized experience. During my search I walked into Jared''s once and couldn''t wait to get out they were soooo pushy. Anyway I am glad to have the decision making over. It is a relief. Dreamer good luck with your decision!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great!

I am very curious about your perceptions of color. I am not lucky enough to actually be able to see BGD diamonds in person before buying. I have seen a J, a K, and a G of Brian''s diamonds. I can easily see the difference between my present G and the K that I had before, and I don''t think it is just my mind playing tricks on me
2.gif
Did you look at the diamonds face up, or did you look from the side too? What was the lighting like?

Thanks, any more information you can give will totally help. I am not obsessed with the color grade either, I just don''t like seeing a lot of tint in my diamonds, which I say with the K.

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, I think that you should go with what you already think. I found that my original color perception was confirmed by revisiting. So if you saw a difference from your J to G then you probably did. I did not go outside to see the stones. I looked only in the office under 2 types of lighting. Reg office flourescence and a softer spotlights he has around the office. I saw them on the white paper and spent most of the time looking at them on my hand resting in between the crack of my index and middle finger. I saw them pav up on the paper but didn''t study them that way. I did not look from the side. I spent my time studying them on my hand since that is where they will live. Can you go somewhere maybe Jareds and look at color differences in an ideal cut stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results