shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on a diamond, please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the specs on a stone I''m considering. I welcome opinions, especially re: whether it might border on too shallow and will appear dark when examined up close.

.971 ct RB E SI1
6.32X6.34X3.92
table: 54%
total depth: 61.8%
crown angle: 35.3
crown %: 16.1
pav angle: 40.3
pav %: 42.1
girdle: 1.7-2.2, faceted

Thanks in advance!
1.gif

ISphoto.jpg

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
OK, here's another question. This stone scores a 0.9 on the HCA, and comes in at a 2A cut according to AGA. It's also certed AGS 0. Does AGS grade by crown/pavilion angles or percentages? I'm guessing angles, because the %s on this stone fall just barely out of the AGS standard for an "ideal" stone...

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
AWWWW c'mon! there's gotta be SOMEONE out there with an opinion, fer cryin' eye!
cry.gif
Pretty please? I have H&A pics too, if that will entice anyone...
3.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I am not an expert, but I have been hanging out here for awhile. It looks like a perfectly lovely stone. The i-scope looks very nice. The leakage around the girdle is what you generally see in a well-cut stone, and some of the experts are of the opinion that this leakage actually increases the contrast of a stone which can help the performance in diffuse light. I like it.

Shay

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything dead in the middle of everybody's ideal range with the total looking like Tolkowsky's poster kid... and "shallow" 16% crown... this must be a joke, right ?
eek.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
it may appear a little small for a .97? my .91 has a 6.35 mm diameter. subtle but something to consider. I know .97s are more expensive than .91s.

otherwise it looks perfect!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/3/2004 5:21:58 PM pinkflamingo wrote:

it may appear a little small for a .97? my .91 has a 6.35 mm diameter.

----------------

hm... than it is perfect. I think your are talking about 0.01mm ? That is defintely less than anyone can measure precisely
9.gif

and it doesn't "look" in any way...

If I remember right, this size was found common among 1 carat no-ideals in the Leonid's last survey (LINK)
2.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a beautiful stone. I think the shallowness issue is more around HCA of .5 and lower. This stone has a steeper crown angle to offset the more shallow pavilion angle, and that's a good thing since it's the combination of the 2 that define steep or shallow in a stone. My guess is that this combination is a good one since the HCA is not so low.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I doubt that it will appear dark, but you might want to have a look at the inclusions - they even show on the IS photo. It may or may not be "eye clean".

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Good point on the inclusions -- check them out. Also, I wanted to note that the stone seems to be tightly cut -- with so little variance in the diameter and girdle. That's always nice.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
From the information posted looks like it could be a very nice stone. And, icey white!!! Yeah, make sure about the inclusions.

But, I LOVE your dogs. A natural ear & a cropped ear!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, everyone, I'm heaving a sigh of relief!

Ana - I wasn't worried about the crown being too shallow, but rather the pavilion (hence that other thread on the HCA, that was about this stone).

RA and lop - here's what the vendor had to say about the inclusions:
"Microphotograph - Clearly shows two small white crystals on the edge of the
table and a tiny feather on the opposite crown. I stared at the diamond
very carefully trying to find the inclusions with my naked eye but couldn't
pick them out. If your vision is better than mine and you use the right
lighting then you might see them but barely. Even so, they are clear and
subtle and blend. Nothing black - nothing in the middle. A great SI1." I'm trusting him on this one, I don't mind clear/white inclusions, even if I can just barely make them out with my naked eye.

F&I - and they're both from rescue
1.gif
THANKS for the nice comment, I just adore my pups
love.gif

Thanks again everyone. I've learned SO much on this forum in the last few months!

I'll post the H&A pics too, just because they're so purty.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/3/2004 7:11:41 PM quaeritur wrote:

F&I - and they're both from rescue
1.gif
THANKS for the nice comment, I just adore my pups
love.gif

----------------

Handsome pups! One of mine came from my breed's rescue! She's turned out great - and has natural ear!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I agree that this stone is a beauty
love.gif
, but I too am worried about those inclusions. People say that you see them less in round stones than fancy, but those look like they may be visible to the unaided eye....

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Researcher. I called the vendor back and had a second person look at it. She could not find the inclusions either, even looking in different lighting conditions. Also, the photo above is taken at 30X, which is considerably more than a 10X loupe. I have pretty good eyes, I'm curious as to what I'll see... I think I'm going to have this shipped to an independent appraiser near me before I purchase, to see it with mine own two eyes first.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results