shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this Princess Cut Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abc4life513

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I wanted to know what you guys thought of this princess cut diamond. I am thinking of purchasing it from a store, but have some questions as well. They offered it to me for $10,400

Here are the specs:
Carat 1.51
Cut Very Good
Color F
Clarity SI1
dimensions 6.42 x 6.13 x 4.57
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Fluorescensce- med blue
Girdle- thin- thick

My hesitation is that it looks like I can find a similar diamond for at least $1,000 cheaper online. Also, not too sure about the medium blue color for fluorescence. The gemologist said the only way you can tell is if its under ultraviolet light.
Finally, is the girdle too thin?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Online vendors usually offer better pricing due to lower overhead costs, and there some online vendors who have an actual storefront that you can visit like www.goodoldgold.com in NY and www.pearlmansjewelers.com in MI. Other online vendors have offices that you can visit by appointment like www.whiteflash.com, www.engagementringsdirect.com and others.

The GG is correct about the blue fluorescence. Also, under strong direct sunlight (which has UV rays), your diamond might have a lavender tint. Many Pricescopers love this look. Years ago, diamonds with blue fluorescence were sold as blue white diamonds because sometimes it can make the lower coloured diamonds appear whiter. Thin girdles aren''t a bad thing. I would be more concerned once it falls into the very thin range.

abc4life513

Rough_Rock
I think I prefer the fluorescensce to be none or faint. I''m leaning towards purchasing the diamond online ( mainly because of the price), but I asked the gemologist at the store if they would be able to mount the diamond there because I was going to customize the band and he informed me they might not do it. They will also have me sign something to say if it gets damged during the process they are not liable. This might be a risk. I guess I can probably find another place where they are willing to set the diamond for me right?

Thanks for the feedback!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most jewellers will not assume the risk of damaging the stone during the setting process if you did not purchase the stone from them. Other than getting insurance on your own through Chubb or Jewelers Mutual, having the diamond set by the diamond vendor would be your next best choice. This way, the diamond vendor will assume the risk for you. Since you are interested in Princess cut stones and that shape is notorious for chipping (due to the 4 pointed corners), I''d either do the insurance route or buy from an online vendor who also does settings.

abc4life513

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I really loved that setting at the store (they were going to customize it for me), but I''ll have to check out some other places as well. The gemologist said they would charge me $250-300 more if I didnt buy the diamond off of them as well.

Since you can''t see the diamond in person, would you purchase online even though it was a lot cheaper? What would be the advantages of disadvantages.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results