shape
carat
color
clarity

opinion on a 3.01 carat cushion we saw today....

hollyk0428

Rough_Rock
I need honest opinions about this stone...it is EGL international, the first and only non-GIA stone I have considered. I understand that I have to drop down 2-3 grades for color and possibly 1-2 for clarity to compare it to a GIA graded stone, but does anything else jump out at you as being "off"? Perhaps the "slight blue" fluorescence? Is slight blue greater than "faint"?

Here are the specs:

EGL International
3.01 cushion
7.76 x 7.38 x 5.85 mm
clarity: VS2
color: H

total depth: 79.3 %
table width: 65 %
crown height: 16 %
pavilion depth: 60 %
girdle thickness: medium, faceted

polish: very good
symmetry: very good
culet: none

flourescence: slight blue

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Without a photo, it's hard to give an opinion. The numbers don't tell the whole story. Personally, I wouldn't buy an EGL Internationally graded stone. It could be off by quite a bit more than 2 grades and if that were the case, you would have grossly overpaid for a comparable stone with GIA grading. What were they asking for the stone?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL International - expect around 2 to 3 and up to 4 or 5 grades out on colour and around two to three on clarity. This is why EGL stones aren't bargains even if they seem like it at the time. And the cut grades of VG would be a good to average cut usually by GIA standards. Without pics its hard to comment.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not an expert on cushions but are you sacrificing any on width with this particular stone? I poked around on a few sites and their 3ct modern cushions are between 8x7 to 8x8 mm. Their 2ct cushions were 7x6 or 7x7 mm. I'm not sure if you wanted to pay for a 3 ct but receive the width of a 2 ct. You may want to if its a good deal? Just a thought.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I know that you are looking for something elongated so that you can set it e/w, but I'm not sure what your budget and criteria, cut, color, size, is for the stone. I saw these two on Victor Canera's site and thought that I would link them for you.

http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/1mcjhj

http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/1hx2xu

Have you considered contacting GOG to see if they might be able to locate something for you?

ETA Engagement Rings Direct would be another option to consider.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hollyk0428|1376181981|3500525 said:
I need honest opinions about this stone...
Here are the specs:

total depth: 79.3 %
table width: 65 %
crown height: 16 %
pavilion depth: 60 %
These numbers are in most cases the wrong proportions numbers for Cushions.
A picture might reveal otherwise but honestly... I would personaly pass blindly on these numbers.

HoratioNelson

Rough_Rock
The 79.3% depth is rather absurd and would explain why the width/length dimensions are more like you'd see in a 2ct cushion.

hollyk0428

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1376191230|3500583 said:
I know that you are looking for something elongated so that you can set it e/w, but I'm not sure what your budget and criteria, cut, color, size, is for the stone. I saw these two on Victor Canera's site and thought that I would link them for you.

http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/1mcjhj

http://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/1hx2xu

Have you considered contacting GOG to see if they might be able to locate something for you?

ETA Engagement Rings Direct would be another option to consider.

Hey Christina! I was originally looking for an elongated cushion, you are right, but after seeing the one on Thursday, it was not at all appealing on my finger. So now I am looking for cushion, or old mine brilliant cushion with a ratio of anywhere from 1.03 to 1.15 at most. And I don't think I'm going to go with the east west setting... It is pretty but not right for me!

hollyk0428

Rough_Rock
yennyfire|1376182343|3500528 said:
Without a photo, it's hard to give an opinion. The numbers don't tell the whole story. Personally, I wouldn't buy an EGL Internationally graded stone. It could be off by quite a bit more than 2 grades and if that were the case, you would have grossly overpaid for a comparable stone with GIA grading. What were they asking for the stone?

$17,300

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hollyk0428|1376223975|3500685 said:
yennyfire|1376182343|3500528 said:

$17,300

It's going to be hard to find a 3 ct. stone for $17K. There was a reason that stone was so cheap.....I just looked at JBEG (Jewels by Erica Grace) and OWD (Old World Diamonds) and I don't see any that have the specs you're looking for in terms of length/width ratio, but I think that you're easily looking at $20-$25K, depending on what color you're interested in....btw, I would highly recommend contacting both of these vendors and letting them know what you're looking for. That way, if they see something that meets your requirements, they can call you...

Here's a 3.19 M VS1 August Vintage Cushion...it's way over $17K, but it has the shape you're looking for (I think) and is really pretty...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9022/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results