shape
carat
color
clarity

opinion needed in emerald cut stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leslie

Rough_Rock
I have recently become very interested in the emerald cut. Several years ago, I wanted an emerald cut, however, at some point I came to the conclusion that a 2 carat round would have a much more larger and brilliant appearance than an emerald cut of the same size. A couple of days ago, I saw an emerald cut diamond, 2.48 carats that was beautiful. It was very similar in size to a round, 2.0 carats. It was very "brilliant" (I''m not sure if I''m using the correct terminology). I was surprised. It sparkled up close, from a distance, in the light and away from the direct jewelry store lighting.
The jeweler said that it was a Leo cut diamond. Although I knew about the 4C''s, I never realized that there were different cuts to consider (Leo, H&A,etc).

This internet site is exceptional.

I NEED FEEDBACK ABOUT A SPECIFIC STONE

Wt: 2.48 carats
Color: I
Clarity: SI 1
Length 9.47
Width 6.38
Depth 4.32
% Depth: 67.7
% Table: 67
Crown: ?
Girdle V thin to Med
Polish/Symmetry Good
Width: 67% of table
Length:Width: 1.48

White light: Very high
Color light: Very high
Scintillation: Very, very high

Cost: $16,000
Cert: IGI (haven''t heard if IGI yet)

I realize that Leo diamonds are most likely over priced and I''ve been reading that the increased facets are most likely to compensate for an increase in depth. Therefore, this makes me wonder if this stone is a good value.
I also am learning that the fancy cuts don''t have as standardized cut classes as the round.

According to this website, this stone may be a class 2A/2B AGS.

My biggest worry about an emerald cut is the "brilliance." This particular stone seemed "brilliant."
However, if I chose to go to a jeweler that is not Jared, will I be able to find a emerald cut that is as elegant and breath taking from every angle, at a reasonable price.
Maybe I''m just imagining that this Leo is special, when in fact it''s the first time that I''ve looked at an emeral cut that size.

It seems that $16,000 is high.

I would appreciate any input about this stone in particular.
Price.
Emerald cuts in general.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Less than 68% depth is not much for an emerald cut... but isn't this a version with different facet patter than the usual EC?

It seem that the last 5k of the cost account for the brand, but, as you say, this is not unusual. Assuming the results posted come from a BrillianceScope, it sounds like the stone is quite a find.

There are a few sellers listing here periodically who present emerald cuts selected for brilliance (NiceIce, GoodOldGold, Whiteflash... come to mind). It is obviously not impossible to find a brilliant step cut stone, only there aren't tons presented/listed everywhere. It does not help that it is not feasible to guess what such a stone might do to light "by numbers", I suppose.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Valeria-
I'm confused.... when I look at the AGA cut categories the recommended depth is between 60-65% for a 1A. Did you mean to say that 68% was not much for an emerald or did you mean a princess where the recommended depth is something like 64+? I'm considering an emerald that has a 62.5%D and a 62%T which I thought fit nicely into the Cut Class 1A?? Am I wrong?
Thanks

leslie

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input. I'm glad you think it is a good find. I'm still being very careful. I think I'll have them compare it to an EC that is not a LEO diamond. I don't really have the cash dropping out of the sky for the extra for that diamond.

Yes, I believe it was a brillianceScope rating.

Also, that cutter does claim to have extra facets.

There is so much to buying a stone. Thank you for the input!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/7/2004 6:13:21 PM abbey wrote:

I'm considering an emerald that has a 62.5%D and a 62%T which I thought fit nicely into the Cut Class 1A?? Am I wrong?

----------------

Of course you are not wrong... only I am not very focused on that 1A AGA grade, with the belief that there is much good down the scale too
2.gif

If the EC you are considering looks good, the cut grade is a bonus. On the other hand, those grades are great if one needs to descend diamonds from cyberspace based on numbers. As long as AGA does not rest on the claim to guarantee the greatest stones reside in the top grade and nothing can make a 2B grade diamond more brilliant and attractive than a 1A... there's always something left to the imagination and the respective grain of salt. As far as I am concerned, if these (or any other
11.gif
) quality scale claims the absolute truth - I RUN. With the good ones, I rather take the bottom half as a warning than the top half as a strong recommendation. But that's just me
rolleyes.gif

Both outlines below fit your percentages and the AGA1 class - obviously two stones resembling these would be very different to look at - and a serious variation of angles remains possible for either "outline".

62aga1.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I really don't know much of anything about the Leo diamond, other than what I've read on their website. I'd really be curious to see what that crown angle # is.

jewelsngifts

Rough_Rock
hi
if you are looking for the right price, on the leo diamond you are paying more for their name brand. my recommendation buy a diamond without a name brand.a 2.5 carat emerald cut in I SI1 should only cost around 10k.
usually the SI1 in emarald cut is visible to the naked eye.
IGI is also another lab that grades diamonds,they are well known after GIA and EGL. I would recommend a GIA certified stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results