shape
carat
color
clarity

One or Two Sizing Beads on Ring??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Just gave the new e-ring to the love of my life a week ago (Vatche X-prong w/.78ct NiceIce RB) and she loves it, but unfortunately it''s a tad big. My local jewler (Smyth''s in Baltimore) measured the finished ring at 5 1/4 even though I actually ordered size 5 from Vatche. The stone has a tendeny to drag or slip sidewards until she feels it bump on the top of a neighboring finger and she also worries it could slip off were her hand wet.

Anyway, her knuckles are larger than average so Smyth''s reccomended sizing beads over more drastic measures that might make it difficult to get the ring over her knuckles. Apparently sizing beads slip easily over knuckles but still hold a ring in place on slender fingers.

Unfortunately, the ring has a 13characther inscription on the bottom of it. Smyth''s wants to add two small sizing beads in the 4 o''clock and 8 o''clock positions and move the inscription elsewhere. It''s white gold so there would probably be some rhodium re-plating involved as well. Sounds like a serious operation (3-4 weeks they estimated) and its fairly expensive--$100.

Looking at my mother''s ring, I noticed it only has one sizing bead rather than two. One bead could probably fit in between words on the inscription. Smyth''s said one bead could make for an uncomfortable balance and they were concerned the solder might drip into and fill the inscription.

Are these legitimate concerns or should we go elsewhere and seek out a jeweler willing to solder one bead?

JES

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Two will be more comfortable. One would be difficult to get into the right place to make anmy difference and potentially could really hurt a finger with a pressure point. The engraving seems to have made this a somewhat more costly affair than it might have been otherwise.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure about the sizing beads, but I want to say that I''m beginning to think that Vatche sizes EVERY ring 1/4 sizer bigger than asked for. I asked for a 5.25 and my ring arrived as a 5 1/2. I''ve read on the board here of this happening to other Vatche customers. It''s a hassle to pay for insurance and shipping and to wait for your ring to be returned to you when they are the ones who messed up in the first place.

foxglove

Rough_Rock
First of all - congrats on your new engagement! :)

My question would be, how loose is the ring in the morning when she wakes up and how loose is it after she has had a brisk walk?

My FI proposed during our camping trip in Cape Briton, Nova Scotia. It was fairly cold and my ring was pretty loose. In the tent when I shook my hand in a downward motion, I was able to "shake it off" (it went flying somewhere in the tent, I almost had a heart attack). :) So we thought that we''d have it resized when we got back in the city. Well, later on I discovered that it actually fits fairly tight when I am hot and when I wake up in the morning. So we didn''t get it resized after all. And now that I am used to wearing the ring, even on cold days it feels normal and I''m okay with a bit of rotation (even if a bit loose).

Does your FI''s fingers shrink and expand a great deal depending on the temperature?

fox

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Dave ~ Thanks for the tip, sounds like the jewelers analysis was correct then!

Patty ~ What did Vatche do with your oversized ring? Add beads? I''m unsure whether a 1/4 size difference could be considered a manufacturing error or whether it falls within acceptable variation...?

Fox ~ Thanks! Well, once or twice she said the ring suddenly seemed to fit perfectly (presumably because her fingers expanded), however 99% of the time its loose and shes continually correcting the position of the stone... You actually sound like a good candidate for tiny sizing beads as well! :)

JES

Patty

Ideal_Rock
jesrush, I had mine sized down a 1/4 size. It''s still loose enough to wear in the summer when my hands are a bit larger. Yes, it very well may have been in the acceptable variation but I recently read of one of two other people here whose Vatche rings arrived 1/4 size too large.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results