shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh No!!! Can my new channel ring be resized???

OhMyDogs

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I just had a question, and am not sure if anyone can help.

We purchased a new engagement ring online last night, as a replacement for my original, which sadly got lost several years ago. It didn't occur to me until today that sizing could end up being an issue. That's how I found this forum, I was Googling to see if my beautiful new ring would be able to be resized when it gets here.

It's a size 7.5 right now, and I need it to be an 8.5 or maaaaaybe even an 8.75 if it can be done.

Included should be a picture of both the front and the side view of the ring....so what do you think? Do you think a jeweler can size it up by a full size???

ring.jpeg

ring2.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there metal on the bottom or do the diamonds go al the way around!? Not sure if yours is exactly like the picture or if yours is a full eternity.

OhMyDogs

Rough_Rock
That is the exact picture. I bought it online and that is the stock picture of the ring. So the diamonds only cover the front 2/3 or so of the ring.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're okay with it not being round (it would be oval) you may be able to do it. This is not a channel set ring though. it's beadset.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are safe. Fine a really good bench, though, to make sure it is done well! Find a nice local jeweler who has a bench in house -- where they work on the ring right there on premises rather than sending it out. Makes it much easier and you can talk to the person doing the work rather than a sales clerk who may or may not know how things work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better to order a ring in your correct size, though. I only had stones on the very top of a band and they came loose when it was resized. I'd probably cancel and order one in my own size, if it was for me.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oldminer|1330551924|3137649 said:
A size to 1.5 sizes, no problem and it will be virtually round if done carefully. Larger is easier than smaller with this style of setting.

I have to concur with Oldminer in that going up from a 7.5 to an 8.75 should not be an issue with this ring, especially since it is bead set, not channel set. Typically, with true channel setting, going up one size is not a problem as sizing up tightens up the stones, but you have to be careful not to push it or it could stress the setting. If you wanted to go down from an 8.75 to a 7.5 with a true channel setting, It might cause an issue for the ring. The more delicate the setting, the more caution should be used.

OhMyDogs

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all the replies. I did go and talk to the most "upscale" jeweler in the city nearest me, who happens to have an on-site goldsmith. I took pictures of my ring, and she looked it over with her loupe to check for claws on each of the beadset diamonds. After confirming that they each had their own set of claws, she said that as far as she could tell at this point, there should be no trouble taking it up to an 8.75. Granted, I know that could change once the ring gets here and she sees it in person, but I am not hopeful.

Ordering the ring in my size was not an option since it was brought (brand new) from an auction site. As well since I am "just your average joe", it never occurred to me that having the diamonds in the band could cause sizing issues, until the next morning.

I know that purchasing via auction is probably not seen as ideal, and I know (after having perused many posts) that my ring is still pretty "average", but here are the specs on my ring:

Center Diamond Info:
gemstone diamond ctr
quantity/ctw 1/0.45ctw
shape radiant
color H White
clarity SI2 Eye Clean

Inset Diamonds
quantity/ctw 12/0.30ctw
shape round
color H - J
clarity I1 - I2 Visible Natural Characteristics - New Lasering techniques used to improve clarity

I recall reading that I1-I2, when small and inset in white gold, can still be quite lovely.
My cost for this ring (brand new) was $479, plus shipping and duties.
I think I did ok. Not to mention that, if I don't like it, or it's not as described, it's refundable for 30 days.

Mostly what matters to me is that it's pretty, sparkly, with no screaming inclusions (like large black spots), and that I love it. If it means I have to pay a bit more to get it sized (which it does), so be it.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Be sure to have it appraised as soon as you get it to be sure that the diamond is what they say it is. It wouldn't be the first time that a PSer has purchased a diamond on ebay and the color and clarity were several grades off. Experience has made most of them aware that this happens and they adjust their bids accordingly. You want to be sure that you are getting what you paid for. It's a pretty ring, I hope that you are very happy with it! :)) Post pics when you get it!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely have is appraised before sized- my only concern is the lasering in reference to clarity- leads me to believe they are referring to clarity enhancement ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results