shape
carat
color
clarity

Now here''s a fancy yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here''s a stone for the fancy lovers out there.

Sold by Sotheby''s today for $69k:

Set with a cut-cornered rectangular mixed-cut diamond of fancy intense yellow color weighing 5.28 carats, flanked by 2 baguette diamonds, mounted in platinum and 22 karat gold, size 6.
Accompanied by GIA report no. 11328465 stating that the diamond is Fancy Intense Yellow, Natural Color and Internally Flawless.

Sotheby''s Sale #SALE N08114 Important Jewels Lot #181

Beautiful piece.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

sothebyfancy.jpg

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Is it safe, mounting a honkin'' 5 carat diamond in 22KT gold prongs? Isn''t that gold going to be awfully soft? I''d rather have a gold ring with plat prongs than a plat ring with gold prongs.

Is it a man''s or a ladies'' ring? Looks kinda masculine to me, but I''m not sure men would go for the side baguettes look.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At size 6 it''s almost certainly intended to be a ladies ring.

22k prongs aren''t likely to be especially secure but they do bring out the yellow in a piece like this. Something tells me that this isn''t expected to be an every day sort of item for whoever bought it. What impressed me was the FI/IF combination (fancy intense, internally flawless). There''s no way to tell from the information presented if there is anything else going on with the piece but this was a remarkably low price for a stone with such awsome specs.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!!
30.gif
18.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Neil,
Thanks for showing us that piece!
I'd say it's a ladies ring, no doubt.

We've used 22karat for the center box on yellow diamond centers many times.
I would not make an entire ring using 22kt, but in the case of prongs that are supported by platinum for most of thier lenght, 22kt is suitable- although we have switched back to 18karat prongs.

As for the price- it's aggressive, but not unbelievably low. I'd say a really well cut 5 carat intense, with a strong yellow color could be a bargain at $75,000+. On the other hand, you could probably find one for $60K.....if it was stong blue, or badly cut, or a weak Fancy Intense.....
These are the factors which remain a mystery......
Neil, was it sold recently?

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
Never thought I would like a fancy yellow but this one is a winner! Thanks for sharing Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results