shape
carat
color
clarity

Nigerian Scam o'' the day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You know, this is so lame that I just have to share it... I wonder how many other PS dealers are dealing with this one right now:

"I want to buy this diamond, please send me wire transfer instructions..." turns into:

Hello Todd,
I appologize for not getting back to you any sooner, I have visited two banks in the past one week with your wire transfer instruction but could not get the funds out, one of the banks told me the Apex bank (Bank Negara) has put in place a monetary control and monitoring policy that requires me to visit the Apex bank (Bank Negara Malaysia) to get an approval letter before the funds will be transferred. I dont want to visit Bank Negara for approval for personal reasons, I told my bank manager, so she suggested I draw an International Bank Check/draft in US funds from my account as there are no restrictions on this form of fund transfer,funds will be drawn on a US bank that is connected to my bank she said. This payment I was told would clear funds into your account within 3-5 days upon deposit of the check. Please let me know what you advice because this is not what we agreed to in the first place.

To which I responded:

Thank you for the update. The situation which you present could be resolved by merely withdrawing the money from your bank and taking the cash to another bank. I’m sure that there are banks in Malaysia more adept at international banking. I’m sorry, but we don’t accept checks or cashiers checks from local clients, let alone international transactions due to the high rate of counterfeit cashiers checks and rampant Nigerian Scams. Have laser printer, will counterfeit and all that. Perhaps you can send the cashiers check to a friend or relative living here in the United States and they can cash the check and initiate a wire transfer to our account on your behalf.

Hey, does anybody like how I Nigerian Scammed the Nigerian Scammer in the last line of that response
2.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too funny Todd...the sad thing is that some people fall for these scams
39.gif
!

fastleslie

Rough_Rock
NICE response!!! I recently received the same intro...when they wanted to purchase one of my horses. I told them that I only accept wire transfers or pay pal...then never heard back from them. Thanks for tip!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NIce response Todd! My dad had one the other day, Told him he won $1 million buckos and asked for his bank account number
23.gif
to which he responded! I''m not in a hurry so please do send me the check... They responded "let me put you on hold for just a minute".... they hung up
37.gif
on my dad....lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14.gif

Sweet response, though. That'll shut 'em up.

ETA: they're not even subtle about it, that's the bizarre part!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good job catching it! We almost got nailed by them about 6 years ago. Ended up having to forward emails to a Gov''t guy in Omaha who was working on it. Our bank caught it for us before anything happened-thankfully. We''d never heard of anything like that before-these Nigerian scams and such and boyyyy did we feel dumb and naive!

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Todd,
Did you get to read this
Jewelersalert.com Warns Trade of Developing Scam.

A single post by a member of Jewelers Alert has caught the attention of many diamond wholesalers. Over 20 companies have come forward to express they have been a victim.

"So far this is what we know" said Zev Oster president of JewelersAlert.com, a company by the name of Diamond Brokers International (D.B.I.) Has been calling diamond wholesalers requesting to buy diamonds and offering to pay by bank wire, claiming the amount is small and there is no need for credit references. They then request you to fax your bank information for the bank transfer, thus exposing your bank details such as account name, routing number, and bank account number.

While there have not been any reports of monies taken from these accounts, many feel their accounts have been compromised and have called their banks to monitor their accounts. "What they do with this information we don''t know" said Oster, so far no diamond dealers have received any funds via bank wire from Diamond Brokers International, we have no clue why they want our bank information.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results