shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie wanting advice ---HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
I originally posted this onShow me the ring earlier today...

Hello everyone,
Well this is my first posting ever and first I must say , that these have to be some of the most gorgeous ring I have ever seen. With that being said, I think you can all help me with this question. Which is better???
. Both are Gia certified.
Ring 1- .56 Princess Color G Ring 2- .69 Princess Color E
VVS1 SI1
4.53 x 4.52 x 3.36 5.09 x 4.88 x 3.32
74.3 Depth 68% Depth
79 Table 75% Table
Girdle: M-TK Girdle: XTN- VTK
Culet: None Culet None
Polish Very Good Polish Good
Symmetry Very Good Symmetry Good
Flourescence None Fluorescence None
length to width : 1.00 length to width: 1.04

Thank you for all of your help in advance

Hansel

Rough_Rock
Nice to meet you. My first posting was pretty recent too and I got some great advice. Now, I do not know to much about diamonds but I did a great deal of research and I probably looked at over 60 different stones in person and more than 200 online before I found the right one. Here is what I learned while buying my stone:

1) G is a fine color. F is a little bit better but the reality of it is that very few people can tell the difference, without something right next to it to compare the two. If you are on a budget consider going down to G it can save you quite a bit of money.

2) You can skimp on clarity but not too much. VS1 and VS2 are fine, but I perfered to avoid SIs because I thought they tended to appear a little cloudier.

3) The dimensions are key with a princess. Either go for a perfect square or go for a rectangle, but nothing in between. Generally 1.0-1.05 (which is 0%Perfect Square to 5% perfect square)is considered square. Personally, I could tell once it was around 1.03, but that was just my opinion, and my job requires that I have a good eye.

4) Table and Depth are also very important. Now there are a range of acceptable values that AGS lists. For X% table the depth must be at least Y%, you should find that out if you haven't already. Personally, I liked a large table like you do, but it is my perference that 79% is too large the stone will appear somewhat flat and won't have as fantastic reflectivity properties as a 70% table. Depth is also important, for the stone I got it was 75% Depth and I thought that was pretty good.

5) If your color is D,E,F, or G make sure the flouresence is Faint or None. If there is a lot of flouresence (like Medium Blue) then when she take it out into the sun it will look blue. If you go for a low color like H,I, or J many people recomended that you want strong flouresence. Why I don't really know, and can't remember but that's what I read in several places during my research.

6) Fair is not a good rating for symmetry or polish. Stick with the VG's or G's. I think you can skimp a little here too, as in you don't have to go for EX/EX, but my jeweler recommened I stick to VG/VG's and G/VG's.

7) The Girdle. The girdle joins the top half of the diamond to the bottom half. Basically stick to VTN-STK or anything in between. If you go to XTN it will chip easily, so I was told. If you go to XTK or VTK a lot of the weight of the stone will be in the girdle and that will make the stone appear smaller.

All this being said my opinion should be pretty clear. Ring 1 is better in my opinion, but your need to look around and make sure you are paying the right price (that one should be around $1000-$1200 and maybe you can find for less). I found that there are some vendors on this site that were extremely fair, almost as good as my family friend in NY. Also DiamondsonWeb.com was pretty good for retail, and DiamondsRight had an incredible deal on Platinum bands for $300. Also, if you can track down somebody named researcher on this thing. She knows more about all this that me.

Best of luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Nate

PS.
I heard bad things from several people about EGL, so keep that in mind. And stay away from Blue Nile they are a rip off.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results