shape
carat
color
clarity

New to the board ...help please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bethy31

Rough_Rock
Hi all!
I came across the board while looking for general information about diamonds. We just became recently engaged, and we opted to go for a Canadian diamond,with SI 1 clarity and G color, laser engraved with the serial # and polar bear icon. I have not had the ring very long, and upon admiring it today ( as I have a hundred times already ) noticed a huge black internal mark. We understood that that stone would be clean to the naked eye, yet I can see this mark from a foot away! Is this normal for the specs of this stone? The weird thing is that I don''t recall seeing this mark before...ANy advice would be much appreciated
1.gif

Beth

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Can you take a picture of it? Other threads here will suggest cleaning the ring (to make sure it's not dirt you're seeing reflected through the table), taking it to a jeweler to see if you scratched the setting and it's reflecting into your stone...the list goes on and on. Do you see the "inclusion" through the table or just through the sides of the pavilion? The reason I ask is an SI1 eye clean can mean clean to the eye from about a foot away when looking through the table. It's therefore important to ask if the stone is 100% eye clean from all angles.

bethy31

Rough_Rock
Thanks researcher...I can clearly see the mark through the pavillion, between the prongs, and very faintly through the crown. I'll post a pic as soon as I can. Thanks

bethy31

Rough_Rock
Okay..here is a pic..it's little grainy but gives you an idea.
Thanks
Beth

ring_flaw.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Is this a GIA certified stone? If it is, I would think it would be graded SI2 or lower. It doesn't look as though it's a scratch on the stone or setting that's being reflected, but it is possible it's dirt or something. Have you looked at the plot on your certificate to see if the spot coincides with an inclusion? With SI1 stones my understanding is you shouldn't be able to see the inclusion from 12-16 inches away when looking through the crown/table. However, many SI1 stones will be eye clean from all angles--especially when set. Because I'm not an expert, I really can't tell you what to do besides looking at the plot, soaking your ring in water and Mr. Clean and cleaning it with a baby toothbrush, and possibly calling the vendor to ask about your options. If the inclusion bothers you, I suggest looking into a trade in policy.

I wish I could be more helpful, but hopefully this is a start in the right direction!

bethy31

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input. I feel a little disillusioned...we knew nothing about stones, and I feel that this jeweller should have explained better what we were getting for our dollar.I have to add that we went to a very reputable independant family business, and had heard nothing but raves.
Is it possible that the stone could have rotated in the setting? I would not have noticed it if it had been concealed behind a prong. It is not very noticable from the table. Just a thought. Thanks so much, I will take your advice, and perhaps since fiance seems more upset about this than I am, will possibly be replacing the stone.
Beth

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
And, the mark is definitely internal? Looks like a grease spot from the pics.

bethy31

Rough_Rock
BTW, the inclusion appears to be accurately represented on the certification papers, I guess we should have asked better questions??

bethy31

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I know the pic is not clear..I took several but they were too big to attach... no it's definitely internal..although I do have an ultrasonic at work, I'll try running it through tomorrow.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If it bugs you, then return it & explore your options. If not, then you have an easy way to identify your stone!
9.gif

Each person is different as to what they accept.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately there's no way the stone could have rotated in the setting. Often, it seems people pay attention to the overall look of the diamond and the numbers in the beginning, then scrutinize their stones to death. During this time they either decide to keep the stone or return it. If they keep it, it seems they either find they can't stand it afterall or they stop noticing it because they're not scrutinizing it so closely. I would DEFINITELY try cleaning your stone in the ultrasonic just to see if there's something dark that's reflecting on your inclusion/that area. If that doesn't help the situation I would consider taking the stone back. IMO eye clean should mean COMPLETELY, 100% eye clean, but it just doesn't seem to be the industry definition and it's too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results