shape
carat
color
clarity

New Fancy Colored diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a natural fancy grey diamond. I''d never seen one before in person, so I thought I would share it. The picture is of the fancy grey compared to my D color diamond.

greyvswhite.JPG

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Face up the color isn''t very noticible, but face down you can definitely see the grey color much better. Here''s a picture with my fancy deep purplish pink and fancy orange.

3fancydiamonds.JPG

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool! What are the stats on it? I actually love gray colored diamonds. They are one of my favorites along with soft yellows, greens and blues.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
0.12 fancy grey VS2. It''s got amazing sparkle for such a little thing. I associated grey with dull, but that''s definitely not the case.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a dark gray diamond probably about 15 years ago at a local jewelers. I fell in love with it. Sadly it was about 2-3 carats and it just would not have been in my budget. I just thought it was the neatest thing. It kind of got me started on my whole love of colored diamonds I think.

What are your plans for this little beauty?

512BB

Rough_Rock
That is a very pretty color for a stone, not at all expected from grey. How big is the diamond next to it? Where did you find it?

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I am planning to use it as part of a fancy color journey style pendant. The white diamond shown in the picture is .41 carats (4.8mm). I purchased the stone from Lebish Co. at fancydiamonds.net. I highly recommend them to anyone interested in fancy color diamonds.

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/28/2010 1:09:25 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
It looks very steely!

In general there are two causes of gray color in a diamond. By far the most common is that the color is due to inclusions, either clouds throughout the stone or a lot of dark inclusions. Given that this diamond is clarity graded VS2 it seems unlikely that this is the case here. Does this diamond have numerous clouds? If not then it is possible that the diamond is a type IIb and colored by the presence of boron in the crystal lattice. This is the same way that most blue diamonds are colored which would lead to the "steely" appearance.

Nice stone, by the way. I always liked gray stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results