shape
carat
color
clarity

Negotiating Price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnovice1982

Rough_Rock
I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had negotiating prices with stores by showing them the online prices. In my case, I''ve found the EXACT same stone online for a more reasonable price. In your experience, do the stores match that price knowing that you could just go ahead an order it for that price anyway?

The only reason this is an issue is because I''d like to have a jeweler at a B&M that I could come back to for future jewelry, so, if possible, I''d like to avoid just having to order it online.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on a) what you want, b) how you present yourself, and c) the unknown of the vendor.

This happened on this board not too long ago. Vendor first said no, when told the shopper could get it elsewhere at X price (I think they were asked if they would match). Later, the vendor turned around and said...yes...they''d match.

If you say...I want your business...and what can you do for me...in a more open way...the answer can be more favorable, I think.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally depends on the store. Some get all uppity and say no outright. Some will come down in price, but not match. And some will match if you find the same stone online for less. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask!

I also agree with RG that a lot probably depends on the tone in which you ask...be nice and polite, that will get you far in my experience.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Didn''t somebody post a story about this a while back, where the B&M vendor then decided to keep the stone so that the customer couldn''t go buy it at the online vendor instead? I don''t remember all the details, but I think that was the gist of it. So that could potentially be a risk if you are really wanting that particular stone.

I feel like if the B&M has given you additional services (like being able to see and try on the stone in person) it might be worth some additional cost, but maybe there is a middle ground that you could negotiate. Let us know what happens if you try it!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 12:56:58 PM
Author: lovinsparkles
Didn''t somebody post a story about this a while back, where the B&M vendor then decided to keep the stone so that the customer couldn''t go buy it at the online vendor instead? I don''t remember all the details, but I think that was the gist of it. So that could potentially be a risk if you are really wanting that particular stone.

I feel like if the B&M has given you additional services (like being able to see and try on the stone in person) it might be worth some additional cost, but maybe there is a middle ground that you could negotiate. Let us know what happens if you try it!
This DID happen recently, too. I think it was a bit whack, but it did happen and could happen. You might consider experimenting, mentioning/lying there are two diamonds you''re potentially interested in, and make a second one the decoy. You''d have to learn about coordinating pricing on both...and, as you learn what they''d do with the one you''re disinterested in...bring forward the one you''re interested in.

Lot of work.

But your end game is reasonable...IF you think the vendor will provide you value...enough.

These virtual diamonds are not well understood. Do you trust the local the guy to help with analysis? It''s a question. We have seen where some of "internet" vendors do provide genuine value added services for this, which you can cound on.

TimUaD

Rough_Rock

I have been looking into the same thing. The jeweler I want to use came down from about 6500 to 5500 for the stone, when I asked him about online prices being substantially cheaper. I didn''t show him specific stones and prices, but I think I am going to. After he reduced his price, though he has been adamant that his stone is a "great deal" and I wouldn’t be able to find a better price (claims he checks online sites and prices competitively). He also says that he will have to charge more (400-500 more) for the setting/ring design if I do not purchase his stone.

I do value the ability to see the stone in person though as a plus... IMO I value the ease of purchasing both together and all other advantages at about $500... making it necessary to find a stone online at a value of at least $1k lower than his.

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 1:11:42 PM
Author: TimUaD

I have been looking into the same thing. The jeweler I want to use came down from about 6500 to 5500 for the stone, when I asked him about online prices being substantially cheaper. I didn''t show him specific stones and prices, but I think I am going to. After he reduced his price, though he has been adamant that his stone is a ''great deal'' and I wouldn’t be able to find a better price (claims he checks online sites and prices competitively). He also says that he will have to charge more (400-500 more) for the setting/ring design if I do not purchase his stone.

I do value the ability to see the stone in person though as a plus... IMO I value the ease of purchasing both together and all other advantages at about $500... making it necessary to find a stone online at a value of at least $1k lower than his.

I too tried to negotiate with a local B&M for a lower price. I enjoy visiting this store, they made the setting for my engagement ring, and I hope to continue to work with them. But they were charging a much, much higher mark-up than the other vendors that I contacted, and I felt that they could do better. I asked if we could negotiate the price, stating that I had found an online vendor who could do better on the same stone, and they told me that they would not budge. So I did not buy from them, even though I would have preferred to give them the business.

I know that B&Ms provide a valuable service -- allowing consumers to view stones in person, and allowing us to play with the stones before we make a commitment. I would be happy to help carry some of that cost However, the SA at my B&M did not do a good job listening to my needs. She called stones in on memo for me, but did not really listen all that carefully to my needs, so they called in way, way more stones than they needed. So I think she inadvertently wound up inflating the cost of our transactions.

I do, however, find that the quality of service, and the SAs'' knowledge of gemology, etc., seems to be higher with online vendors. My SA was a sweetheart but she didn''t seem to have a firm grasp of her material. So while I like my B&M, I couldn''t justify the added costs (their price was 2500 higher than any I could find online).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results