shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinion on This AGS0 Ideal Scope Image

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Lklucky|1365923980|3426586 said:
Hello as my search for a center stone continues I am growing more confused about AGS0 ideal 0,I was interested in this diamond until I saw the ideal scope image and now I'm not so sure, thoughts?

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104056343003-PLDQR.PDF

Well, that's actually an aset image not an idealscope, but it's probably one of the worst I've seen for an AGS 0 graded stone...it has a lot of leakage in the center and a bit too much green for my taste...I'd keep looking. What's your budget?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I don't put a lot of faith into the computer generated aset images found on AGS reports. IMO idealscope images of the diamond are MUCH more telling. The fact that it received AGS top grade for light performance suggest that it is a beautifully performing stone so I wouldn't dismiss it based on the single aset image on the report. Typically we advice that IS are uneccesary for AGS0 stones but if your concerned you could request one or simply ask the gemologist to evaulate it for you.

Lklucky

Rough_Rock
Oh, thank you for making that distinction I hadn't realized it wasn't an IS. Our budget is 17,500.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Christina...|1365949901|3426664 said:
I don't put a lot of faith into the computer generated aset images found on AGS reports. IMO idealscope images of the diamond are MUCH more telling. The fact that it received AGS top grade for light performance suggest that it is a beautifully performing stone so I wouldn't dismiss it based on the single aset image on the report. Typically we advice that IS are uneccesary for AGS0 stones but if your concerned you could request one or simply ask the gemologist to evaulate it for you.
Christina,
The advantage of using the computer generated ASET's for comparison is that they're 100% consistent in technique. If you're comparing between different vendors there can be a huge issue with the way the pictures are taken but it's even present to an extent within the catalog of individual photographers. Although I agree that there's some added value to 'real' images of stones, there is a huge margin that has to do with the photography rather than the stone that isn't present with computer models. It's different but there's value in that too.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lklucky|1365923980|3426586 said:
Hello as my search for a center stone continues I am growing more confused about AGS0 ideal 0,I was interested in this diamond until I saw the ideal scope image and now I'm not so sure, thoughts?

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104056343003-PLDQR.PDF

There is a lot of misunderstanding of the ASET image and also that the AGS0 is automatically a Hearts and Arrows cut diamond. It simply is not so.

We here at Pricescope tend to be a bit spoiled however, and we always want both the AGS 0 and the H&A apprearance, and frankly, for the kind of money that you are spending you are well within your rights to expect both. Please though, do understand that that with both the prices will tend to be a little bit higher than with a strong H&A pattern and an AGS 0 cut grade. You are especially wise to be looking for a diamond with an AGS grading report for his level of cutting.

Wink

P.S. Neil makes a great point of the AGS technique being one hundred percent consistent. I have photographed images of diamonds several times until I get them exactly perpendicular to the camera to get the proper image. It is NOT as easy as many assume.

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
A quick question to add on... Do the physical ASET images captured usually agree with that in the AGS reports or do they usually look different?

new4diamond

Rough_Rock
diamondloveaffair|1365992090|3426970 said:
A quick question to add on... Do the physical ASET images captured usually agree with that in the AGS reports or do they usually look different?

On the stone I have, as one is an Actual picture vs Computer Generated, I would say mine is a perfect match.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondloveaffair|1365992090|3426970 said:

Its an interesting point.
AGS uses 30 degree blue and 40 degree blue for their optical light performance metrics. But at some point they decided to use 33.5 degree obscuration (the blue angle out of the 180 degree virtual hemisphere). I first discovered that here on Pricescope by accident september last year.

So since I make ASET scopes, many of which have been used for photographic set ups, it is likely that there will be a miss-match.

We are in the process of making a new batch and we will make the blue component a tiny bit bigger.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1365987549|3426932 said:
Christina,
The advantage of using the computer generated ASET's for comparison is that they're 100% consistent in technique. If you're comparing between different vendors there can be a huge issue with the way the pictures are taken but it's even present to an extent within the catalog of individual photographers. Although I agree that there's some added value to 'real' images of stones, there is a huge margin that has to do with the photography rather than the stone that isn't present with computer models. It's different but there's value in that too.

I agree, I suppose 'faith' wasn't the correct term to use. I should have said that I feel that IS offers better buying information for MRB than does an ASET, computer generated or not. I feel that ASETs are often interpreted incorrectly, and that a consumer can get as much or better information from the IS images, which most vendors seem to have gotten down fairly well.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Christina...|1366032291|3427194 said:
denverappraiser|1365987549|3426932 said:
Christina,

I agree, I suppose 'faith' wasn't the correct term to use. I should have said that I feel that IS offers better buying information for MRB than does an ASET, computer generated or not. I feel that ASETs are often interpreted incorrectly, and that a consumer can get as much or better information from the IS images, which most vendors seem to have gotten down fairly well.

In the case of round diamonds I agree with you Christina. e.g. a 40.7 pavilion is green in the center of the stone and a 40.8 pavilion stone is red in the center. Many people will prefer the red center stone when infact that really means nothing.
But for fancy shaped diamonds the ASET wins hands down!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results