shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help settling on a ring size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Schrute

Rough_Rock
I have only two pieces of information on which to choose a ring size. My girlfriend is already on to me, so this is it.

1. My girlfriend went to a department store to get her finger sized. They handed her the sizing rings and basically let her do it herself. She said the size she thought fit best was labeled "5-", which the woman behind the counter "thought" was a 5 1/2.

2. My girlfrined went to an actual jewelry store in the mall and had her finger sized. She was sized at a 5. She said the woman who sized her had some trouble getting the sizing ring off her knuckle until my girlfriend relaxed her finger slightly (I think she was holding her finger straight out when they were removing the sizing ring). The woman still said a size 5 was correct.

I obviously trust the #2 data more than the #1.

So I'm basically going back and forth between a 5 and a 5 1/4. There can't be that big of a difference between the two, can there? I tend to think airing on the larger side is safer. Any thoughts?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At 5.25 it will fit her no matter what. If she says "yes", then she can have it re-sized to make her happy. Just figure that this is the beginning of a long series of doing it mostly a little wrong and then doing it over to make her happier. I''ve been re-working most things for 40+ years and my wife is reasonably pleased with my performance to date. Each day brings another little challenge, so just don''t worry over it. If you are buying some sort of ring that cannot be re-sized, don''t do it without her right there at the counter and have the seller measure it one-on-one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a size 5. Since the warm weather is here, it should still fit well when winter comes and everything shrinks a little.

Schrute

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys.

So we have one 5.25 and one 5. Can we get a tiebreak? ;-)

Schrute

Rough_Rock
Thanks. We were inside an air conditioned mall for probably 20 minutes or so before she got it sized. Does the "swelling in summer" argument still apply?

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Number 5 .25 , and a pad of gold placed inside the shank at the five and seven o''clock position. So the ring will nor turn. I have huge knuckle so my ring is 5.75 with a pad of gold inside the ring. So I don''t have any problem getting the ring off and on, and at the same time the pad keep the stone facing up all the time.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i would say 5.25. i say this because if it too big she can have it sized down. if you get the 5 and then she cant get it over her knuckle because she ate a lot of salt or something that would be a big bummer. also i read on here somewhere that when there are 2 rings as in an engagement ring and a wedding band the engagement ring will fit tighter. meaning if it is a little to big, and just a little then once she gets the wedding band it might fit just right.

Schrute

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. I tend to meddle over tiny details like this too much. I just need to pick something and be good with it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you go inbetween 5 and 5.25? like 5 1/8? I''m inbetween 3.75 and 4 so I got 3 and 7/8

Schrute

Rough_Rock
Don't think so. The ring is from Brian Gavin Diamonds and Lesley said they have half and quarter sizes.

Is it easier to size a ring up or down?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/30/2009 5:46:37 PM
Author: Schrute
Don''t think so. The ring is from Brian Gavin Diamonds and Lesley said they have half and quarter sizes.

Is it easier to size a ring up or down?
my ring is also from BGD. I asked them specifically to go a hair down from 4 but not 3.75 as that would be snug, but 4 was a little loose.

hmmm - Ask Lesley/Brian see what they think, because for me, if it was just a hair snug, they can just shave a bit inside for me, but if sizing down, (one of my other ring) was significantly large, my round shape was out of shape. But in your case the resize seems very minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results