shape
carat
color
clarity

need help figuring out Leon Mege setting for cushion brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescopers

I've lurked on the forums for a bit and have learned an amazing amount from everyone here, so thank you, first and foremost. I'm delurking now to ask for your advice, because I really need some!

My fiancee proposed a little while ago with a gorgeous 1.57 carat cushion brilliant that he got from Mark and Gary at ERD. He's left the stone loose, allowing me to choose my own setting which he knew I would want to do, but forcing me to do it quickly since I don't have any ring to wear until I have it set.
2.gif

Stone specs:

Cushion
1.57 ct
H VS2
7.72x6.48x4.31
L/W:1.19
Depth: 66.5%
Table Size: 64%
Girdle: Thick to Thin, faceted
Culet: none
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very good
No Flourescence
Crown Angle: greater than 40 degrees

After browsing around the forums and having done some shopping locally and online, I am pretty sure Leon Mege is the man to go with, but I can't decide on a setting. I looked at a lot of different designs, and the top runners are the Classic solitaire with a thin, thin band (similar to Pokey's gorgeous Tsavarite ring, but neither of which are exactly right.

Classic Solitaire - I love the simplicity, elegance, timelessness, but I want just a bit of twist/unexpectedness to make it less... plain (no offense to anyone who loves this ring, just my opinion)

Pokey special - I love the split shank and the micro pave work, and the slightly vintagey look, but this is probably a little too blingy for me, not to mention we can't afford it (already had it priced twice, once as is, and the once without the pave on the head and only one side of pave)

I don't believe that we'll be trading up anytime soon, and I would like my e-ring to be something I won't tire of looking at some years down the road. I'm not sure yet if I will be wearing my e-ring all the time and/or with my wedding ring - I often take off all jewelry on my hands for work. As far as details, I fell in love with Leon's double prongs and have to have them, and am drawn to micropave (although definitely with a channel or milgrain and not exposed scalloped edges) but DF isn't as much of a fan of the micropave which makes me hesitate. ETA: also would prefer settings with a low head.

I am thinking of doing a single band with micropave (I believe I saw one here on PS but I'm sorry I can't remember whose ring it was) as one option but would love to hear any (other) idea/suggestions you guys might have about the setting choice and maybe what I could do to add to the solitaire or simplify the split shank design...

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, and please forgive the indecisiveness!

hopefully a pic of the stone showed up here too...

diamond2-small.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen any of the Ritani settings? neatfreak set her cushion into the endless love and it''s stunning. Ritani would probably be more cost effective than Leon and they make very realiable pave..

here''s neatfreaks ring:

calliecushshadow.jpg

flushsidecallie.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s silverlily''s cushion in the same Ritani setting:

frontview777.JPG

sideview777.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
also wanted to mention that your cushion is gorgeous...I totally LOVE cushions
30.gif

and I believe neatfreak and silverlily both got their Ritani''s from Mark so if you''re interested definitely ask him about it and get his pricing
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I vote for Leon''s Classic Solitaire (but I''m biased). As for tweaking it, just ask him for suggestions.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I 2nd the suggestion of Tiger''s east/west set, single row pave with claw prongs. YUMMSIES. It''s one of my Pscope faves!!!!

tigerfront7.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
And check out that SIDE VIEW. Swoonable.

P.s. -- your Cushion looks KILLER!!!! Can''t wait to see it''s new home!

tigerside.jpg

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 9:14:33 AM
Author: mrssalvo
also wanted to mention that your cushion is gorgeous...I totally LOVE cushions
30.gif

and I believe neatfreak and silverlily both got their Ritani''s from Mark so if you''re interested definitely ask him about it and get his pricing
1.gif

Thanks Mrssalvo for the Ritani suggestions, and thanks re: the stone. I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
my cushion. DF did so good! I haven''t seen their settings before and this one is gorgeous! I like the engraving on the box, and the pave on the band is how I like it, with a channel edge. The prongs don''t look as delicate as Leon''s though, sigh... I never would have thought I would fall in love with a certain style of PRONGS for my e-ring setting, of all things, and feel like I had to have them...
2.gif

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 9:21:15 AM
Author: Harriet
Congratulations! I vote for Leon''s Classic Solitaire (but I''m biased). As for tweaking it, just ask him for suggestions.
thanks Harriet. I was thinking that if I''m fairly sure I want to work with him I could just set up an appointment with him and tell him our final budget and see what tweaks we can come up with within budget (DF is not allowing me to go over). Is that a weird way to work?

I had a little bit of an awkward situation with him in the beginning regarding making an appointment to discuss designs and now I feel like I need to know exactly what I want before I commit to him...

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kasey and Deco - I hadn''t seen Tiger''s ring before! That is a lovely ring. I was debating about setting my cushion E/W too - it really emphasizes that rectangular proportion! what a great idea.

I really really want to make a decision soon because I want to wear this baby!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful cushion you have there!!! I too love Tigers, way yummy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d call Leon, tell him my budget and ask what he recommends. Mention that you would like some pave, love and trust him... and is it okay if you just send the stone to him, and he can pick what he wants as long as it have some pave in it and makes the stone pop, and is in budget.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love tiger's setting. It is a great blend of pave, but still very simple and beautiful. You could also make this into a split shank with just one-sided pave if you wanted something more unique. I think all of the pave on the prongs and three-sided gets to be a bit much. I just love the scoup of that setting, soooo pretty.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Its Leon, its pave, it has the double prongs, its Gorgeous!!!!

The stone in this setting is an EC but I''m sure he can make it work with a Cushion.

sdfgsdf5746ujfuu.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 1:10:07 PM
Author: schmoopykitty
thanks Harriet. I was thinking that if I''m fairly sure I want to work with him I could just set up an appointment with him and tell him our final budget and see what tweaks we can come up with within budget (DF is not allowing me to go over). Is that a weird way to work?

I had a little bit of an awkward situation with him in the beginning regarding making an appointment to discuss designs and now I feel like I need to know exactly what I want before I commit to him...
Why is your DF not allowing you to go over to Leon''s, if I may ask?

One thing about Leon -- he''s different on the phone than in person. He''s way nicer in real life.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 5:59:04 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''d call Leon, tell him my budget and ask what he recommends. Mention that you would like some pave, love and trust him... and is it okay if you just send the stone to him, and he can pick what he wants as long as it have some pave in it and makes the stone pop, and is in budget.
After reading everyone''s suggestions, particularly yours Gypsy and Harriet''s, I decided just to let Leon know I want to work with him and I''m meeting with him next Monday to review the stone and see how we can tweak the solitaire setting to incorporate some pave and some other additional design details that I''m considering. So thank you so much.

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 7:25:34 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I love tiger''s setting. It is a great blend of pave, but still very simple and beautiful. You could also make this into a split shank with just one-sided pave if you wanted something more unique. I think all of the pave on the prongs and three-sided gets to be a bit much. I just love the scoup of that setting, soooo pretty.

The split shank is very nice, isn''t it. But Tiger''s is a gorgeous ring. I think three-sided is a bit much for me for everyday wear too, I''m not normally that blingy, which is why I thought Pokey''s might have been a little too much for me too. Not to mention it''s out of our budget anyway!
2.gif

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 7:49:53 PM
Author: ponderer
Its Leon, its pave, it has the double prongs, its Gorgeous!!!!

The stone in this setting is an EC but I''m sure he can make it work with a Cushion.
oooh I like the Pave on the gallery. That''s a nice touch.

I think this setting might be too high for me. I don''t know how to explain it, but I prefer the top portion of the shank (where the pave is) not to swoop up so much (the curve/slope should be flatter and swoop more gently upwards). in fact, I''ve tried on one or two rings where the top kind of flattens out and becomes a little angular, sloping upwards instead of swooping upwards towards the box. Can anyone tell me what that is called? I''m linking to an example here. This change in angle of this one is probably a little short and abrupt but it helps illustrate the idea I''m talking about.

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 10:10:16 PM
Author: Harriet
Date: 7/25/2007 1:10:07 PM

Author: schmoopykitty

Why is your DF not allowing you to go over to Leon''s, if I may ask?

One thing about Leon -- he''s different on the phone than in person. He''s way nicer in real life.

Oops, I wasn''t clear there, I just meant DF won''t allow me to go over his budget.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results