carat
color
clarity

Need Help Choosing between two diamonds

khalisearcher

Rough_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither is that great. HCA is not enough. The first one has too low a crown. And the second one is too deep.

I would drop down to I SI1 and buy from a vendor that has idealscope images available. HCA is only a rejection tool.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is important to remember is that color is graded FACE DOWN. Where there is NO light return. Not face up where there is light return and refraction. You wear diamonds set. FACE UP.

Within one color grade, even the labs can't agree on the color grades of stones and something could be a "high" H or a "low" E. So... no. Not really. Within 2 color grades it is hard. Not impossible. But very hard. And it gets harder once set. If you are talking ideal rounds, or any stone with ideal light return and no sharp corners it gets harder still because the ideal light return masks body color.

Generally we say to be conservative stay above H. But I and J are great values and are white still. And if someone values size over other factors it makes sense to explore these colors.

If you are talking fancy shapes without ideal light return (because there is no 'ideal' for EC's Radiant, etc) it's a bit different.

This is how I think of it.

Ever gotten one of those HUGE paint fan decks? Where there are literally 100s of colors of whites? And when they are RIGHT next to each other you can TOTALLY tell that one is bluer/colder and one is a bit warmer and which one is one is TOTALLY warmer. One there's one that's slightly greener. One that's slightly pinker? But really. They are all white?

Then you pick one after agonizing over this white or that white and when it's on the walls and people are like: Oh. You painted again. And it's STILL white. Great.

And you're all... BUT it's BLUE white. Or it's a WARM white now. It used to be ____ white. It's TOTALLY different.

It's like that. You are talking about shades of white. D is colder... J is warmer. But it's all white.

YES. If you have an accurately graded F and an H THAT HAVE THE SAME PERFORMANCE you are going to be able to tell them apart when you compare them side by side. Just like you would be able to tell if you painted your walls a warm white, but painted the crown molding a cold/straight white. But both are STILL white, you only see the contrast because of the proximity. But it's very slight, you could set an F center with G sides and never tell the difference. And even H sides depending on the setting and the size of the sidestones... especially with round brilliants.

I want you notice all the qualifiers thought. I'm talking about stones with the SAME performance. An ideal H will out white an F that has compromised light performance from a poor cut.

NOTHING impacts the appearance of a diamond as much as cut. CUT is king.

You want the shinest whitest and brightest diamond out there: Cut is King. No other factor, not color or clarity or anything else impacts how white bright an shiny a stone is.

khalisearcher

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I think I would like to stay H or higher. I wouldn't mind spend a little bit extra. Would you be able to suggest a few options? I would have never thought about looking at crown lengths by themselves. Should there be a certain criteria that I should search on?

Ritani has a store preview, so that is an advantage and that is why I was looking on that site.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can understand that. You should still plug the numbers into the HCA because the angles have to work together. But stick to depths above 62.4. Tables 60 and above. Crown Angles 40.6-41.0 Pavillion Angles: 34-35.5 There's a little leeway there. Depending on the actual angles. But in general that's the range you want to be in.

Also, I REALLY advise you to expand you selection to an eyeclean I Si1 or better. And try to get to over a carat for your lady. Also, please watch the spread (dimensions) you really want a 6.5mm stone minimum.

Also fluorescence, as long as the stone is not overblue, is your friend. It will discount the stone's price. Also 60/60 stones (58-60 table and around 60 depth) with HCA scores under two (particularly if the crown and pavillion angles in the ranges above) will be another thing to look for. 60/60's are also discounted because many of them are duds. But the good ones are a great value and the crown and pavilion angle range above will give you a good 60/60.

Also please use the knowledge tab above and look under Diamond Guide and Advanced Tutorial an study the information there. .

Okay?

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1410415216|3748863 said:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5167860-1.25-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=5167860&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com Honestly if she wants size. I'd go for something like this. It's BIG. I would ask if it is eyeclean. And you can ask for an idealscope from B2C.
Gypsy, this is a great find. Khalisearcher, you mentioned sticking with H or higher, but if your wife thinks .90 is too small, then .96 or 1.00 may not seem that much larger to her. 1.25 really is a substantial size jump. J's can be a wonderful choice, to obtain more size.

khalisearcher

Rough_Rock
Interesting that you mention to stay above 60 for table. This is what I had read in the following article and several others. Are you suggesting to stay above 60 for table in order to save money or is there another reason?

http://smartcarat.com/diamond-smarts/diamond-depth-percentage/

Depth Ranges
Ideal = 58 – 60%
Excellent = 60.1 – 62%
Good = 62 – 64%
Fair = 64 – 66%
Poor = over 66% or under 57%

The table of range for diamonds is as follows.

Ideal = 53 – 58%
Excellent = 58.1 – 60%
Good = 60.1 – 64%
Fair = 64 – 70%
Poor = over 70%

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hearts-arrows_girl|1410424323|3748896 said:
Gypsy|1410415216|3748863 said:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5167860-1.25-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=5167860&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com Honestly if she wants size. I'd go for something like this. It's BIG. I would ask if it is eyeclean. And you can ask for an idealscope from B2C.
Gypsy, this is a great find. Khalisearcher, you mentioned sticking with H or higher, but if your wife thinks .90 is too small, then .96 or 1.00 may not seem that much larger to her. 1.25 really is a substantial size jump. J's can be a wonderful choice, to obtain more size.

OP, listen to these ladies. :read:

khalisearcher

Rough_Rock
Actually we went to a local store and she looked at 0.9 and 1 caret rings. I know what you are saying makes sense that .9 and 1 are not much different. But when she looked at both side by side, she wanted to go for 1 caret. I think she would be ok with .95 or .96.

I agree that 1.25 is a great size. I actually ordered a 1.15 G VS2 XXX from Blue Nile that turned out to be not nearly as bright as I had expected. So we are returning that and now she understands that we cannot get a good 1.25 in our budget so she is willing to step down to 1 caret but .9 somehow seems smaller to her. May be its the piece we saw. We are still young and she would be ok buying something around 1 caret that does not look too small and upgrading to 1.25 or 1.5 a few years later.

I understand what you guys are saying about the color but personally I think I would like to stay H or above. Honestly, before discovering Pricescope, I would have just gone to a store like Costco and bought something that I knew is reasonably good even though I would have paid a little extra. But now it seems like I might be over thinking this and always seem to miss something or the other. HCA is easy but part but how to screen after that without paying an arm and a log is where I am challenged.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
khalisearcher|1410450645|3749046 said:
Interesting that you mention to stay above 60 for table. This is what I had read in the following article and several others. Are you suggesting to stay above 60 for table in order to save money or is there another reason?

http://smartcarat.com/diamond-smarts/diamond-depth-percentage/

Depth Ranges
Ideal = 58 – 60%
Excellent = 60.1 – 62%
Good = 62 – 64%
Fair = 64 – 66%
Poor = over 66% or under 57%

The table of range for diamonds is as follows.

Ideal = 53 – 58%
Excellent = 58.1 – 60%
Good = 60.1 – 64%
Fair = 64 – 70%
Poor = over 70%

Throw this out. Stick to what I told you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results