shape
carat
color
clarity

Narrowed it to 2: images attached. Feedback appreciated!

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
First off, thank you for all of the help. I think I found 2 very good diamonds, right in my price range. To all of you who said "be patient!", I appreciate it. Looks like I found 2 winners.

Leaning toward the AGS Ideal. I like the angles better, it is AGS ideal, a better color, bigger. Obviously more included (vendor says it is relatively eye clean, brilliant diamond). The idealscope might actually be a bit better on the 61/58 diamond, but that also could be that the AGS ideal falls in the FIC range.

Both diamonds are between $15-$16k.

1st is a GIA: J/VS1, 2.14ct. 8.28mm.

61 depth
58 width
34.5 crown
40.8 pavilion

2nd is an AGS Ideal I color, 2.32ct, Si2. Eye clean (barely), 8.42mm. Crystal inclusions primarily.
62.4 depth
55.6 width
35.6 crown
40.6 Pavilion

4226377_aset_image.jpg4226377_idealscope_image.jpg
4226377_real_image_-_1.jpg

600_172782-officelight_black-01.jpg600_172782-idealscope-01.jpg

600_172782-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Narrowed it to 2: images attached. Feedback appreciated

Give me the J VS1 any day over any color SI2 with inclusions right under the table in a 2 ct stone.

The angles on the J are what most people seeking ideal cut aim for!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

**hobbyist - not expert**
If this diamond were for me, I'd want the vs1. The two-tenths of a millimeter difference in diameter will go unnoticed while the inclusions in the (barely eye clean) SI2 will definitely be noticeable. They both have great HCA scores. I'd there some reason you are comparing a VS1 with an SI2? Were there no similar comps in a VS2 or SI1? Is there fluorescence on the J VS1 that puts the price near the I SI2? Just curious. I would love a big honkin VS1 J even if it was 0.2 mm smaller than the eye visible SI2. Good luck with your decision and POST PICS when you get her home!

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1425668700|3842934 said:
Give me the J VS1 any day over any color SI2 with inclusions right under the table in a 2 ct stone.

The angles on the J are what most people seeking ideal cut aim for!

Thank you. Is that inclusion going to be seen at 10 inches? Or just more of a "I know it is there, it bothers me" issue?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think "barely eye clean" means you'll see the inclusions. They certainly are evident on the pics, albeit magnified. Experts?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

ringo865|1425671269|3842973 said:
I think "barely eye clean" means you'll see the inclusions. They certainly are evident on the pics, albeit magnified. Experts?

That was my quote, based on the pics. Vendor examined it, said it was clean for an Si2. And relatively eye clean is a trade I am willing to make for an exceptionally well cut diamond, which this appears to be (and extra size, and a better color grade, AGS Ideal). What would be too much is "hey, this always looks dirty!"

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

While you might not see the inclusions a foot away per se, what will happen is that light returning to your eye will be blocked or redirected when it bounces off the inclusions from within. Like how a full moon is bright because the sunlight from behind you bounces off the moon into your eye. But when the earth blocks the sunlight from bouncing back the full moon, while still brighter than deep space, is not nearly as bright. Dull even. If you're not in a big rush to buy, you might consider comparing VS2 or SI1 stones against your VS1 and SI2 picks. VS1 to SI2 is a big (probably noticeable) clarity difference. SI1s can be a good value when eye clean and may enable you to stay with an I color.

KobiD

Shiny_Rock

I like the proportions and symmetry on the 2nd stone, but would look for something similar in a VS1/VS2 clarity.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you prefer I color, then I suggest you look at I VS2-SI1 stones that are a little smaller. I would not want a 2 ct stone with SI2 clarity unless there were no inclusions under the table and it was 100% eyeclean (such as an inclusion that could be hidden with a prong). Barely eyeclean tells me there probably are circumstances you can see those inclusions. Get a better quality diamond and there won't be regrets later.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I could also go the other way and get an H&A diamond, 2ct, in K for about that price. Not quite as big, a tad hint of yellow (watching the GOG video, I can't really see a difference though); but eye clean. Better purchase? A 1.85ct J is also in that price range (H&A).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results