shape
carat
color
clarity

Mind clean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I am looking to trade in some small diamonds that I have for a single larger diamond with my local jeweler. My solitaire is warmer in color, so I am looking to get a nice little stone in the colorless range so I can enjoy the icyness. He has found me a .63ct, ideal cut, F color diamond that is in my budget and is a real beauty -- nice arrows, good fire, sparkle wow.

The catch -- if that''s what you would call it -- is that it is an I1! I looked at this puppy in pot lighting, florescent lighting, in the shade, indirect lighting, and couldn''t for the life of me see the inclusions with my naked eye. Using the loupe they are, of course, more obvious -- a foggy looking spot near the edge, and a cluster of white and brown dots under the table. Makes the stone easy to identify
2.gif
But it is totally and completely eye clean, even at 1-2 inches. In his estimation it is more like an SI2 than an I1, but still it is priced accoring to its lab grading. I very much loved the diamond and with my trade-in budget I would need to go down in size or down in color a fair bit to get a higher clarity grade.

Now my question for you is whether or not it would bother you to just *know* those inclusions were there?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2009 3:52:06 PM
Author:dreamer_dachsie
Okay, I am looking to trade in some small diamonds that I have for a single larger diamond with my local jeweler. My solitaire is warmer in color, so I am looking to get a nice little stone in the colorless range so I can enjoy the icyness. He has found me a .63ct, ideal cut, F color diamond that is in my budget and is a real beauty -- nice arrows, good fire, sparkle wow.

The catch -- if that's what you would call it -- is that it is an I1! I looked at this puppy in pot lighting, florescent lighting, in the shade, indirect lighting, and couldn't for the life of me see the inclusions with my naked eye. Using the loupe they are, of course, more obvious -- a foggy looking spot near the edge, and a cluster of white and brown dots under the table. Makes the stone easy to identify
2.gif
But it is totally and completely eye clean, even at 1-2 inches. In his estimation it is more like an SI2 than an I1, but still it is priced accoring to its lab grading. I very much loved the diamond and with my trade-in budget I would need to go down in size or down in color a fair bit to get a higher clarity grade.

Now my question for you is whether or not it would bother you to just *know* those inclusions were there?
Not I, but I own 2 I1 clarity diamonds which are pretty much eyeclean, I rather like a little birthmark or 2 in my diamond as long as it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!

D, I would say check the diamond out away from the store lighting if possible as in my experience inclusions can pop out in some lights more than others.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 3:57:21 PM
Author: Lorelei

The catch -- if that''s what you would call it -- is that it is an I1! I looked at this puppy in pot lighting, florescent lighting, in the shade, indirect lighting, and couldn''t for the life of me see the inclusions with my naked eye. Using the loupe they are, of course, more obvious -- a foggy looking spot near the edge, and a cluster of white and brown dots under the table. Makes the stone easy to identify
2.gif

Not I, but I own 2 I1 clarity diamonds which are pretty much eyeclean, I rather like a little birthmark or 2 in my diamond as long as it doesn''t stick out like a sore thumb!

D, I would say check the diamond out away from the store lighting if possible as in my experience inclusions can pop out in some lights more than others.
This was my main worry, but your idea is a good one. I can actually take it home and look it over for a while to see if I want to keep it... I hadn''t really thought of that.

Now I would just need to make sure it doesn''t get lost during the PS photoshoot.
2.gif

fabienne

Rough_Rock
I think its a great idea to take it home and be certain. Will you be taking it home loose or mounted? It would be fantastic if you can''t see them because you can get your icy look for a lower price. I like the idea of using the inclusions as identifying marks. I hope it all works out for you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2009 4:06:32 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 4/29/2009 3:57:21 PM
Author: Lorelei

The catch -- if that's what you would call it -- is that it is an I1! I looked at this puppy in pot lighting, florescent lighting, in the shade, indirect lighting, and couldn't for the life of me see the inclusions with my naked eye. Using the loupe they are, of course, more obvious -- a foggy looking spot near the edge, and a cluster of white and brown dots under the table. Makes the stone easy to identify
2.gif

Not I, but I own 2 I1 clarity diamonds which are pretty much eyeclean, I rather like a little birthmark or 2 in my diamond as long as it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!

This was my main worry, but your idea is a good one. I can actually take it home and look it over for a while to see if I want to keep it... I hadn't really thought of that.

Now I would just need to make sure it doesn't get lost during the PS photoshoot.
2.gif
Kewl! That way you can give it a good test run and see if this is the ICY WHITE DIAMOND for you!

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

It would not bother me, but then again I believe in the concept of "perfection within imperfection" and can appreciate the beauty that inclusions can bring to a natural diamond. There are a few threads to be found here on PS that focus on the unique nature of inclusions, especially some diamond crystals.

As Lorelei mentioned, I would take the diamond for a walk in a variety of lighting scenarios to determine how it performs and looks in different lighting - many expert diamond sales people will suggest this because they realize that store lights are designed to make diamonds sparkle and that we don''t live under store lighting! Customer satisfaction depends on their being happy with how the diamond performs in normal lighting...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 4:18:46 PM
Author: fabienne
I think its a great idea to take it home and be certain. Will you be taking it home loose or mounted? It would be fantastic if you can''t see them because you can get your icy look for a lower price. I like the idea of using the inclusions as identifying marks. I hope it all works out for you!
If I do the test run I will take it home loose. I likely won''t set it in anything but a temporary setting for a while anyways... I am indecisive and don''t want to make a mistake... again! LOL!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 4:20:52 PM
Author: Todd Gray

It would not bother me, but then again I believe in the concept of ''perfection within imperfection'' and can appreciate the beauty that inclusions can bring to a natural diamond. There are a few threads to be found here on PS that focus on the unique nature of inclusions, especially some diamond crystals.

As Lorelei mentioned, I would take the diamond for a walk in a variety of lighting scenarios to determine how it performs and looks in different lighting - many expert diamond sales people will suggest this because they realize that store lights are designed to make diamonds sparkle and that we don''t live under store lighting! Customer satisfaction depends on their being happy with how the diamond performs in normal lighting...
I agree with this, but at the same time would not want to see the inclusions when I look down on my hand. So maybe I am not as accepting of imperfection as I could be!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
It wouldn''t bother me - if I can''t physically see it, I don''t worry about ''mentally'' seeing it.

I have a fairly good sized OEC that has a table inclusion that I can readily see in pictures and louped, but I can''t see it in normal viewing conditions.

As far as I''m concerned, it''s like a birthmark to help me know my stone.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as the inclusions don''t affect the sparkle of a diamond they wouldn''t bother me.
1.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
If you like the diamond for yourself and it is clean to your eyes under different lighting conditions, don''t hesitate and buy it.
But I won''t dare to buy I1 quality as a present for somebody else.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2009 4:25:58 PM

Date: 4/29/2009 4:18:46 PM
Author: fabienne
If I do the test run I will take it home loose. I likely won''t set it in anything but a temporary setting for a while anyways... I am indecisive and don''t want to make a mistake... again! LOL!
I hear yah... lol..

Get it!
36.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 5:41:40 PM
Author: QueenMum
If you like the diamond for yourself and it is clean to your eyes under different lighting conditions, don''t hesitate and buy it.
But I won''t dare to buy I1 quality as a present for somebody else.
Is that because you would worry that for *them* it wouldn''t be mind clean? Or that they would think you were cheap?

It is for me, though.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
it wouldn''t bother me, but the mind can be pretty tough to convince
3.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it would bother me.
I like VVS clarity (and DEF color).
For my dollar the least-important C is size.

But it doesn't matter what I like (or what anyone else likes).
This is YOUR diamond.
Why ask other people what YOU will be comfortable with?

Look to yourself.
Check in with yourself.
Imagine wearing it.
Is your main standard eye-clean to others? Eye-clean to yourself? Mind clean?
It sounds like you didn't see the inclusions without a loupe so chances are others won't either.
Does that satisfy your concerns?
Only you can determine your comfort zone.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2009 7:04:38 PM
Author: Moh 10
Yes it would bother me.
I like VVS clarity (and DEF color).
For my dollar the least-important C is size.

But it doesn''t matter what I like (or what anyone else likes).
This is YOUR diamond.
Why ask other people what YOU will be comfortable with?

Look to yourself.
Check in with yourself.
Imagine wearing it.
Is your main standard eye-clean to others? Eye-clean to yourself? Mind clean?
It sounds like you didn''t see the inclusions without a loupe so chances are others won''t either.
Does that satisfy your concerns?
Only you can determine your comfort zone.
I''m not sure why someone would ask that question, I certainly didn''t
2.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a little update in case anyone is interested.. I brought the diamond home and it is gorgeous!
30.gif
I did a photoshoot this evening, so I''ll be posting photos as soon as my son is in bed! Woop woop!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah
36.gif
can''t wait for the pictures.... what will you do with this stone? ring? pendant?

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
You asked, "Now my question for you is whether or not it would bother you to just *know* those inclusions were there?"
I think this is not too different from asking others what you will be comfortable with.
By asking this question I'd guess if others are bothered then you feel that you also should be bothered.

I offer that people vary.
Some are bothered by something when others are not.
Everyone is different, yet everyone is right when it comes to these kind of things.

Congratulations on your purchase.
We look forward to pics.
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2009 7:31:20 PM
Just a little update in case anyone is interested.. I brought the diamond home and it is gorgeous!
30.gif
I did a photoshoot this evening, so I''ll be posting photos as soon as my son is in bed! Woop woop!
Congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results