shape
carat
color
clarity

mel''s antique jewelry - experience/comments?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
Has anybody bought anything from Mel''s antique jewelry store? If so, what was your experience like?
http://www.melsantiquejewelry.com/

She has one item listed on ebay that she says "WE ARE THE MAKER of this mounting", but when I asked her if she could replicate or make another ring in a similar style but a different size she said she wouldn''t be able to do that. Does this seem weird to anyone?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I bought a pair of diamond earrings from this vendor about 4 years ago. If you search for "opinion on these ebay earrings??", the thread should come up. I don't know who made the earrings, but they were very nice quality for a reasonable price. I made sure to negotiate an acceptable return policy before purchasing the earrings just in case I didn't like them. All in all, it was an okay experience.

It does seem odd that she couldn't replicate the ring if she is indeed the "maker". Did you ask her why that's the case? Could be she no longer works with the jeweler who made it or that he/she is no longer in business?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, saying "we are the maker" can also be code for "we ordered this setting directly from the manufacturer and we dialed their number all by ourselves..."

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
hmm.. the ring is very much similar to those at fay cullens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDWARDIAN-STYLE-DIAMOND-PLATINUM-5-5mm-RING-MOUNTING_W0QQitemZ5023418017QQihZ016QQcategoryZ52603QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

http://www.faycullen.com/ring_settings/500/517md-kaitlyn.html

anyone think this is actually a fay cullen ring being resold!? I do see clear differences between the two, but they are very similar.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 9:47:26 PM
Author: denverboy
hmm.. the ring is very much similar to those at fay cullens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDWARDIAN-STYLE-DIAMOND-PLATINUM-5-5mm-RING-MOUNTING_W0QQitemZ5023418017QQihZ016QQcategoryZ52603QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

http://www.faycullen.com/ring_settings/500/517md-kaitlyn.html

anyone think this is actually a fay cullen ring being resold!? I do see clear differences between the two, but they are very similar.

There are many companies who sell antique style rings -- there is nothing especially unique about either mounting. Could be both companies use the same manufacturer. I rather doubt it''s a secondhand Fay Cullen ring. It sounds to me, however, like you have a lot of doubts about using this particular vendor. If that''s the case, move on. If you tell us exactly what you''re looking for, no doubt someone can point you in the right direction.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I bought an OEC solitare from them a few years ago. I had no problems with the transaction and the ring ended up being of great quality and I think I got a great deal on it as well.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it possible that''s their way of saying it''s a repro and not antique? Not very clear, but the fact that they are not able to reproduce a different setting you like tells me that it''s a stock setting and not a custom piece. But if I were you I''d simply ask outright what "We are the maker of..." actually means.

If you have good photos of the setting you love, another antique jeweler can likely reproduce the setting for you, or might recognize it and know how to get it.

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
hey guys, I asked Mel why they couldn''t replicate the item for me and she replied with this:

"Hi - Our productions are done in another country and are based on a certain volume. It is too complicated and expensive to make one piece."

Seems a bit weird but I guess it''s believable.. what do u guys think?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I buy from Mel on a regular basis. She also has two eBay stores (that seem to offer the same merchandise as her website).

I find her pieces to be of good quality and reasonably priced. I did have to return something once, and she was good about it. No refund, just store credit.

Her phone manner is a bit gruff. But she has always kept her word with me. Which to me is important.

I believe she gets a lot of her stuff from South America.

Anne

PS - If you want to buy something with the right to return it, I believe she wants you to say so upfront.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
They probably just get it in the one size, and making a different size would mean separate molds, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results