shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for comments on e-ring plan.

DDave

Rough_Rock
I found pricescope a month or so ago when I was starting my diamond research for an e-ring for my gf. I just can't stop reading all the info I find here. It's so addicting! Anyways, my gf and I were at some local jewelry stores a few weeks ago because I wanted to get an idea what she liked the best since neither one of us had ever gone looking at rings before. I learned she definitely wants a round diamond and she really likes solitaire cathedral settings. I started shopping around for a RB, and then I found the AVR's at GOG. I really would like to get her something a little different from anything she's seen so far while still staying with I know she likes, and an AVR seems perfect to me. I've been eying the following stone for over a week or so as I've been looking around, and I finally put it on reserve:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12283/

I still need to check and make sure it is eyeclean with the inclusion that is pointed out in the microscopic image. I think I'm going to have it set into a Vatche Swan setting. I tried looking for some other threads with a picture of an AVR in a Swan setting, but I couldn't find any. I was just wondering what everyone thought of this combination. I think it will look great, but I'd like to hear what others have to say as well.

My gf also likes white gold the best, but I've noticed she can have skin reactions to some jewelry, which makes me think she has a possible nickel allergy. Is nickel the most common metal added to gold to make it white? I know the ring would come rhodium plated, but that would eventually start to wear off. Would it be better to go with platinum instead? I feel like I'm on the right track so far. I guess I'm just looking for some comments from others for confirmation. Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it will look nice. That stone is killer. Did she prefer 6 prongs or 4 when you guys went browsing together? If she did like 4 prongs, I think the Vatche Caroline would be a nice option as well, and it allows for a flush fit wedding band, which the Swan doesn't.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go with Platinum over white gold, personally speaking.

(There are different grades and alloys of Pt, though! :loopy: )

DDave

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the additional suggestion, Gypsy. I don't believe we actually looked at a 6 prong setting in any of the stores we went to, so the Caroline setting is something else to consider. I am going to stick with platinum to be safe, and probably ask for it to be Pt900/Ir. The gemologist at GOG said he could not see the inclusion under the table of the diamond I reserved when looking for it, even in daylight lighting. He said someone else could probably find it, but only if they knew it was there and were actively searching for it. That is good enough for me since I like everything else about the stone. He is going to get me a video of it as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prongs are important. Go for the Caroline. If she liked 4 prong cathedrals you don't want to waste all the research by getting her a six prong. :) And flush fit wedding bands are very important to many women! It was important enough to me that I changed my setting specifically to get a setting that could accommodate one. :wavey: The Caroline is REALLY a fabulous setting.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are picking a killer combo! Nice work!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results