shape
carat
color
clarity

Large lower quality or Smaller higher quality?

TealNotebook

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I'm fairly new and overwhelmed by this whole buying an engagement ring thing and have been lurking around here.

I'm looking to spend $4,500 max on an engagement ring. I'm mostly interested in buying a halo or double halo ring (discussed this after the girl has been hinting about rings) :)

I am still confused about somethings and from what I've read so far on this forum is that there are many diamond ring buying wizards/experts here.

1) Which is considered better, to buy a larger (1.61ct H, I1, EGl good cut) diamond or a smaller one with better gradings?

2) How much easier is it to have a custom made one? How long does this usually take? It seems that many people here have ones custom made.

3) Is there a stigma about buying used engagement rings? I've been searching around craigslist & ebay and it seems like stores are marking up their prices from 1.25-1.5% compared to used ones (and people provide their receipts, paperwork, certifications, are willing to meet at the store they bought them in, etc)

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:errrr: an I1 EGL good cut? please, stay away. There is no possible way that 1.6 will look good. I mean, I'm fairly certain you are pulling our collective legs, here. $4500 minus a halo setting, you are looking at less than a carat.

A double halo does not need a big, included, good cut diamond. It needs an excellent cut diamond, in whatever size you can afford. Some I1s are ok, but SI1 is the sweet spot.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
TealNotebook|1359665554|3368864 said:
Hey guys, I'm fairly new and overwhelmed by this whole buying an engagement ring thing and have been lurking around here.

I'm looking to spend $4,500 max on an engagement ring. I'm mostly interested in buying a halo or double halo ring (discussed this after the girl has been hinting about rings) :)

I am still confused about somethings and from what I've read so far on this forum is that there are many diamond ring buying wizards/experts here.

1) Which is considered better, to buy a larger (1.61ct H, I1, EGl good cut) diamond or a smaller one with better gradings?

Absolutely NOT!. It's hard to find a well cut EGL stone, but to go under anything less than "excellent" on the cut on an EGL stone is a HUGE no no!

2) How much easier is it to have a custom made one? How long does this usually take? It seems that many people here have ones custom made.

3) Is there a stigma about buying used engagement rings? I've been searching around craigslist & ebay and it seems like stores are marking up their prices from 1.25-1.5% compared to used ones (and people provide their receipts, paperwork, certifications, are willing to meet at the store they bought them in, etc)

I'd suggest:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-53ct-e-vs1-cushion-cut-gia-great-sparkle-r4958

What shape are you looking for?

singer

Brilliant_Rock
04diamond<3|1359665817|3368872 said:
TealNotebook|1359665554|3368864 said:

Absolutely NOT!. It's hard to find a well cut EGL stone, but to go under anything less than "excellent" on the cut on an EGL stone is a HUGE no no!

I'd suggest:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-53ct-e-vs1-cushion-cut-gia-great-sparkle-r4958

What shape are you looking for?
Oooh! Nice find! That is gorgeous!!! :love:

flamingoezz

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a pro, but learned some things from lurking.

EGL isn't considered as highly regarded in terms of their rating system...so an H, VS2 from EGL may be be a I, SI1 by GI or AGS standards.

I'm personally having a ring custom made, but with a $4500 budget, I think most people here would steer you towards spending 80-90% of that on the rock, and that wouldn't leave you with much for a setting.

TealNotebook

Rough_Rock
Wow, you guys really are good here. This is definitely around the lines of what I was looking for. I'm still familiarizing myself with the terminology but cushion and round are would either be fine. From searching around the forums it seems that double halos aren't considered too "engagement ring" like, and a standard halo would be better?

Also, @Julien What would be a good carat size (with good grades) to aim for with my budget?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
You could consider getting a 'used' (we prefer the term 'preloved') diamond and then get a new setting for it? The preloved market will save you some big bucks. If you get the setting new, it'll be under warranty (assuming you buy from somewhere with a warranty).

As for a 'good' cut, no no no. Cut is the most important characteristic. It determines sparkle, fire and brilliance. An excellent/ideal cut diamond will look whiter and cleaner than a 'good' cut stone.

Other than halo and round, what other guidelines do you have?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a large halo, I like the look of a single halo with large melee, over a double halo. Double halo looks good on colored stones, but it is too much for my tastes in all white.

around .6-.9, depending on the cost of your setting.

TealNotebook

Rough_Rock
maccers|1359669649|3368961 said:
You could consider getting a 'used' (we prefer the term 'preloved') diamond and then get a new setting for it? The preloved market will save you some big bucks. If you get the setting new, it'll be under warranty (assuming you buy from somewhere with a warranty).

As for a 'good' cut, no no no. Cut is the most important characteristic. It determines sparkle, fire and brilliance. An excellent/ideal cut diamond will look whiter and cleaner than a 'good' cut stone.

Other than halo and round, what other guidelines do you have?

Where would pricescopers recommend for getting a preloved diamond and separate setting? I was looking at bluenile for setting, they seem to be reputable but I'm sure pricescope can recommend others that I can trust.

I'm aiming at halo and round, but I have seen some very nice cushion ones (tiffany's soleste as an example). I'm pretty much open besides that. Like I said, I really am getting into the feel of things still.

thanks for your reply.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to only look at GIA excellent cut diamonds. For a decently-made, good looking halo setting I'd think you're looking at a minimum of 2k. James Allen has some that are 1k but they are one of very few places that have halos that cheap that I'd be okay with the quality of. With a 2k setting you can get around a .7-.8ct H/I Si1/Si2 GIA-excellent/ideal cut diamond.

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/styles/engaged?category=ER&style=Halo&default_head_shape=RD
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/Engagement-Rings/Halo/18k-White-Gold-Pave-Halo-and-Shank-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Round-Center-item-6802

Example diamonds:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-I-color-SI1-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-178339
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.75-carat-I-color-SI1-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-146952

With your budget I'd not get one custom made. For a decent custom made halo you'd be starting at 3k, likely going to more than that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1359682666|3369198 said:
I definitely prefer a single halo. You could do something like this for the diamond:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10257/

They can get you a halo setting for a fairly low price as they carry many brands of settings.

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/halo-french-set-diamond-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6114

its a round stone in a cushion shape halo. and it would end up right around 4500, and Good old gold sells ritani :))

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

TealNotebook

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1359687766|3369255 said:

I'm blown away at how helpful everyone here is. It makes me feel like a total noob. So from what I'm hearing it's probably best to buy the center diamond separate from the setting and then have them put together at a local jeweler?

Also, @JulieN, that ring is nice but currently way over my budget of $4,500

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sort of but not exactly. You can do that but its more of a hassle and depending how its done can cost money to pay to insure while its getting set. What you want to do is buy the stone, then pick the setting, hopefully feom the same place anf then have them set it. So it depends on what you want. Say you have a really specific setting from a specifically company, then you are a little limited, but you wanna get the stone from a place that sells thay brand. Lile for example, you wanna get a ritani setting, buy it from good old gold or whiteflash, they sell that brand. If you dont have a specific setting in mind just "halo" then look for the best stoNe for your budget and pick a halo from that same place. Like james allen. They dont exactly carry branda so you dont get a selection like that, but they have a large selection of setting to choose from out of their own stock

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results