shape
carat
color
clarity

Killer stone by the numbers, but ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

34.5 crown, 40.5 pavilion, 57% table, 60.8 depth, HCA of 0.5 ex,ex,ex,vg.GIA Cert ex, ex. Rosy Blue cut stone.Really looking forward to receiving this.Should be a great stone, but something was lacking.It has great fire and scintillation, but didn’t have the “pop” of the other ones I had bought.Took out the H&A viewer and saw a very good, but not perfect pattern.

The telltale was the IdealScope. It was not as strong a pink as the other stones I have and it had a slight “ring of death” quality.That explained why I felt lacked light return and pop.

Had I not had the IdealScope and four very well cut stones to compare it with, I would have not known the difference from what should have been a killer stone by the numbers.

I’m probably going to send it back, but it was a fairly good value so I’m still debating.It’s a pretty stone, but not a top performer.Score another one for the IdealScope!

Edited to add: This stone is a 1A on the AGA scale, but like I said, it's just not a killer. Can any experts shed some light on this?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the sarin:

/idealbb/files/08.31.04 Sarin.jpg

The GIA cert differs from the sarin in a couple of respects. It lists a medium girdle, 56% table, 60.6% depth and no culet. So perhaps the sarin is off?

I also tried to take some IdealScope pics but could not get good ones. The best way to descibe it is that the pink is not full and deep and there is a lighter ring with some white spots.

Garry I looked at the girdle and saw it is thicker at some facet junctions. What am I supposed to look for in a cheated girdle?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/how-to-detect-girdle-cheating-t13291.html

The above link may help you noobie.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Garry for the diamcalc. It looks like the sarin is a bit wacky. From all the information I had it looked like it should have been a great stone. Good angles and depth and spread. When I first got it and looked at it, it was a very nice looking diamond, but something was just missing. This led me to chack out the Idealscope, which confirmed my doubts. However, had I not just purchased some top cut diamonds to compare it with, or did not have an IdealScope, I may have never known that this stone is not what it should be.

I bought this dropped shipped directly and I knew that so I was comfortable with it, since this was my fourth loose stone purchase in the last six months. There are some lessons here:

- IdealScope doesn't lie, even when the numbers are supposed to be great. It does take some practice and good reference stones to use it properly

- Dropped shipped is an OK way to buy if you know exactly what you are doing. the stone I bought was misrepresented in inclusion description

- First time diamond buyers may be better off sticking to in stock stones with all of the information available

I'll post the vendor experience after they process my return.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results