shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen French Cut Pave Setting

lucky3

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I was originally going to get a custom engagement ring made, but the process has had quite a few issues. I don't have much time, so I am now looking at purchasing the James Allen French Cut Pave Diamond Engagement Ring in Platinum. I searched posts on here a little bit, but I have a couple main questions if anyone can help.

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/engage...ch-cut-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-1301

Do the prongs really look as big and bulky in person as they appear in the images?
Is it possible to have James Allen use a different head style, and if so do you have recommendations?
Will the matching wedding band sit flush? If not, is there a different head that would allow for this?

My center diamond is round and 0.93 carats. I like having 4 prongs, but am looking for something slimmer than it appears in the picture. I would really like the wedding band to be able to sit flush.

Thanks for any help, advice, and PICTURES that you can share with me! :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
lucky3|1361473994|3386635 said:
Hi everyone,

I was originally going to get a custom engagement ring made, but the process has had quite a few issues. I don't have much time, so I am now looking at purchasing the James Allen French Cut Pave Diamond Engagement Ring in Platinum. I searched posts on here a little bit, but I have a couple main questions if anyone can help.

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/engage...ch-cut-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-1301

Do the prongs really look as big and bulky in person as they appear in the images?
Is it possible to have James Allen use a different head style, and if so do you have recommendations?
Will the matching wedding band sit flush? If not, is there a different head that would allow for this?

My center diamond is round and 0.93 carats. I like having 4 prongs, but am looking for something slimmer than it appears in the picture. I would really like the wedding band to be able to sit flush.

Thanks for any help, advice, and PICTURES that you can share with me! :)

I have the .32 french pave setting and though I love it I've always hated the prongs. I think they are actually bulkier in person than they appear in the video. I' guess I'm sort of picky about my prongs in general though. I asked JA if they could file then for me and without changing the head they weren't able to, and since I didn't like the head they suggested....well, I've just decided to live it knowing that I'll be changing settings at some point anyway. Here is a pic, my stone is a 1.25.

ring_and_camping_3.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Here is a view from the side...I'm not sure that a band will sit completely flush. Overall the ring is very dainty looking.

oops forgot to attach the image.

ring_and_camping_105.jpg

lucky3

Rough_Rock
Christina, Thanks for your post and the images. I had run across your previous posts which led me to this setting in the first place! :)

I contacted James Allen and they told me that they could modify the head into a four prong assembly, where the prongs are thinner (as shown below in six prong), but they don't have a picture to show me.

http://www.jamesallen.com/?q=crosso...-solitaire-engagement-ring-handmade-item-2537

Do you think this head (in four prongs) would look better? Is this the same thing that they had offered you?

Also, how has your ring been durability wise? Have you had any issues with the pave?

lucky3

Rough_Rock
Julie, I have seen that setting, however on every computer I have tried I can not see the video views of the ring and therefore can't see much of the head. Also, there is a large price increase going to the setting that you suggested.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Awww! 8) Thanks so much for the compliment!

I absolutely can not complain about the durability of the setting. I've had no problems with the pave in the two years that I've owned the setting. I try to be careful but I'd be a liar if I said that I didn't do anything strenuous in it from time to time or even sleep with it on once in awhile. ;)) Just last week though I noticed that one of the prongs on the end melee looks like I've bent it, probably from carrying groceries or something similar, so I plan on sending it in to be repaired soon, but the melee still looks like it's held in place well and I'm not overly concerned about losing it, in fact I'm still wearing it as though I've never noticed.

Yes! That is the same head that they suggested to me. It still wasn't quite what I was looking for so I passed, though I do think that it would have been an improvement. As far as four or six prongs....I wish that I had six, I think that it makes the stone appear more round overall. Since the prongs are a bit bulky I think it makes my center look square-ish at times. My next setting will definitely have six prongs, but that is just personally preference.

ETA I thought that I would mention that I've also owned JAs knife edge solitaire and the thin version of the french pave and the prongs were identical on each one....sort of bulky. So other than the hand made version that they suggested. I'm not sure that any of their setting will have prongs with much improvement. I think they really need to offer a head with nice sexy claw prongs!! ;-)

lucky3

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, they told me that with either of the prong options a wedding band would not be able to sit flush. It looks like I am back to searching once again. Any advice for a setting with side diamonds (2 pointers) for less than $1,500?

lucky3

Rough_Rock
seth22h|1361550407|3387640 said:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-micro-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-1012.htm

According to their number of diamonds (40) and total carat weight (0.20), those would only be 1/2 pointers which is much smaller than what I am looking for. Thanks for taking the time and leaving a suggestion though! :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think that Henry Daussi makes on very similar for around 1500. IDJ sells Daussi and I think I saw it on their website awhile ago. I'm away from my laptop right now so I cant link it but I would check out their site or give them a call. Another option might be Gabriel & co. They have lots of affordable settings that are similar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results