shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an example of a stone with more color light?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kareberry

Rough_Rock
Carat 0.80
Colour G
Clarity VVS2
Total Depth 61.80
Pavilion Depth 42.80
Table 54.10
Dimensions 5.99*5.93*3.69
Crown Angle 34.50
Pavilion Angle 40.60
Girdle TN
Culet N
Fluorescence N
Lustre
Polish Ideal
Symmetry IDEAL
Cut ICE Ideal H&A
Cert AGS

As I mentioned before, I''m looking for a stone that throws off more color light than white light. Would this stone fit that description? Besides that, any other thoughts? The vendor isn''t a PS one, it''s from diamondexchange.ca and they don''t seem to have pictures!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello :)

This stone scores Excellent for fire on the HCA and it certainly has quite a small table which can make a stone more firey.

I do notice that you've chosen a VVS2 stone, which is extremely clean. Is this the clarity you are particularly looking for?

If not, you might like to consider dropping to VS2, or even to an eye-clean SI1 which would allow you to go larger in size for your money.. if, of course, you would like a larger stone.

x x x

*ETA* The amount of fire you see in a diamond will depend on the light and viewing conditons. You will see more fire under bright spotlights (such as a jeweller) and in sunlight.. and less fire in situations of lower light.

Kareberry

Rough_Rock
Actually, it''s funny you ask because I didn''t choose the VVS2 on purpose. It was just one of the few stones that had a smaller table in the vendor''s list that hadn''t been sold.

Ideally, I wouldn''t mind a VS2 or an SI1 with no carbon or inclusions near the girdle. Is it true that inclusions near the girdle start to effect the structural integrity of the stone? (Lol..that sounds like star trek..)

As for size, I wouldn''t mind a larger stone
2.gif
... anything in between 6-6.3mm is good. I think once it gets closer to 6.5mm or 1ct it starts looking awkwardly large to me, especially since I''d like a split shank setting!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would depend on the lgf% which is on the diamonds diagram on the bottom in one of triangle shaped facets on the report.
The c/p angle combo is pretty well balanced between between white/colored.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
If you can post your colour preferences and budget, I''m sure that other PSers can come up with some alternative suggestions for you.

To be honest, one of the best things you can do is just to choose a reaaaaaally well cut stone: and you have done that. :)

x x x

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cleo, from her previous post, I think she means she wants a stone with more fire, than white light return.
2.gif

KB, try to find stones with a higher crown angle also. And to be honest, it might be easier to just ask a vendor to look for you. Tell them you want a Firey Ideal Cut. They are out there, but not in abundance. Harder to find.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2008 12:07:23 PM
Author: Ellen
Cleo, from her previous post, I think she means she wants a stone with more fire, than white light return.
2.gif
Doh! :) Realised after I posted that was a bit dim of me!

Obviously a great cut increases the amount of fire... but not the amount of fire relative to the amount of white light.

Must be time for a cup of coffee...

x x x

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw, no biggie, we all goof up sometimes.
2.gif

Kareberry

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the tips everyone! It makes narrowing things down so much easier! Btw, Strm, what''s lgf%?
Is it one of the numbers here in the diagram?

Numbers12345.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If thats the right diagram then its GIA graded and they don''t use ideal for pol/sym.. where did that come from?

lgf% is the 75 which means on a gia cert it could be between 72.51 and 77.49
Would need an IS image or sarin scan too see where it actually fell.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
What about these 2? I found them on Blue Nile and both are .7, H, SI GIA Excellent cuts. Kareberry - they''re probably not the size or grade you''re looking for..but might be good for reference if they happen to be examples of good FIC stones.

What do you think STORM, any good? The ca on #2 is really deep - is it TOO deep?
21.gif

FIC jc.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 is too shallow on the pavilion but the crown angle and table rocks for fire.
The 75% lgf% is a killer in this combo :{
It needs too be in GIA speak 80 or 85 when rounded.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 the pavilion is too deep at 40.8 for the crown, 40.6 would be best.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
How''s about this one? It''s a .6, I, SI GIA VG cut.

The crown & pavilion angles seem better, as do the lg%. But does the table seem a bit too bit for a good FIC?

girdle61aa.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2008 10:11:36 AM
Author: Jeanne61
How's about this one? It's a .6, I, SI GIA VG cut.

The crown & pavilion angles seem better, as do the lg%. But does the table seem a bit too bit for a good FIC?
kicken

It actually comes out a TIC on the hca but its on the border and would tilt too fire while maintaining good white light return.
The next step would be some pictures preferably an IS image.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2008 1:15:46 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/23/2008 10:11:36 AM
How''s about this one? It''s a .6, I, SI GIA VG cut.

kicken

It actually comes out a TIC on the hca but its on the border and would tilt too fire while maintaining good white light return.
The next step would be some pictures preferably an IS image.
Alas STORM, this one''s not meant to be. I''ve already arrange for an upgrade from WF so this is just research pure and simple (...well maybe not so simple) and Brian and his great team will kill me if I went back to square1.
32.gif

In case anyone''s interested, this kicken stone is a virtual offered by Angara, Union Diamond, WF and US Certified. The specs are on the Union Diamond site:

http://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?id=139125&sh=8&prc=1038

..but Angara seems to have the best price @ $1038.

BTW - Would anyone know if there''s a way to generated a model of a diamond in Gemcad with just the numbers from a AGS cert and a Sarin summary cert? or if there is a free trial version of Diamcalc that will let me enter the numbers?

Kareberry - Sorry to temporarily hijack your thread, but I hope that last stone will give you some neato info to work with your jeweller - good luck with getting your dream stone!
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2008 10:47:26 AM

Alas STORM, this one''s not meant to be. I''ve already arrange for an upgrade from WF so this is just research pure and simple (...well maybe not so simple) and Brian and his great team will kill me if I went back to square1.
32.gif

In case anyone''s interested, this kicken stone is a virtual offered by Angara, Union Diamond, WF and US Certified. The specs are on the Union Diamond site:

BTW - Would anyone know if there''s a way to generated a model of a diamond in Gemcad with just the numbers from a AGS cert and a Sarin summary cert? or if there is a free trial version of Diamcalc that will let me enter the numbers?

Kareberry - Sorry to temporarily hijack your thread, but I hope that last stone will give you some neato info to work with your jeweller - good luck with getting your dream stone!
35.gif
nope not enough info too generate an accurate model.

Jeanne61

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2008 10:53:29 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/24/2008 10:47:26 AM

32.gif

35.gif
nope not enough info too generate an accurate model.
Darn - didn''t think so... Thanks STORM!

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Kareberry,

Have you considered a beautiful, chunky, cushion brilliant? Those stones are notorious for throwin'' off lots of color....

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Kareberry,
I love the ring in your avatar! Could you please tell me which setting that is? Thanks!

Kareberry

Rough_Rock
Aww, don''t worry about the hijacking, I don''t mind as long as we''re all on the same topic.

My setting is from a local jeweler in Toronto, but if you go to my Promise Ring thread, there was someone who said my setting looked similar to another designer''s style in NYC.

I''m looking for something between 0.8 to 1 carat so that kicken stone is too small for me unfortunately.

I LOVE cushions too! But I find the squarish shapes don''t really look that great on my hand...my fingers are..squarish? Lol!

First and foremost for me right now is to be able to SEE some of these ideal cut stones. I found a B&M store that wasn''t hesitating on giving a price match and the SA did bring up the point that it''s better to see it in person because although the stones are ideal, they still perform differently, only they don''t have any in store and would have to be called in.

This diamond I''m asking about is from an online store that has a price match policy too - diamondexchange.ca - I actually found them doing a search on PS because they had Canadian offices but their brief involvement in PS didn''t last long. That''s where the image came from, they sent me a pic of the cert.

If there''s one thing I noticed, boy do these diamonds sell fast!!!

Strm, what do you mean by "...it''s on the border and would tilt to fire..." Is that a simplistic way to tell? Put it in the HCA and see if it''s on the white line border?

Kareberry

Rough_Rock
Oh, forgot to ask, I know FIC is fiery from your other thread, but what''s TIC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results