shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the Money Right for This Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bagh

Rough_Rock
I''d love some feedback on this stone. It''s certification is EGL (from the L.A. lab) and the price I''ve been quoted is $3,700. It has some very slight problems under magnification, but it''s one of the better SI2''s that I''ve seen in terms of appearance. Take a look at the below specs and let me know what you think. Good buy? Decent buy? Thoughts? Thanks so much in advance.

Weight 1.11 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color G
Clarity SI2
Measurements 6.92 - 6.88 x 3.93 mm
Depth 57.0
Table 62.0
Crown 12.0
Pavilion 43.0
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2004 7:27:38 PM
Author:bagh
I''d love some feedback on this stone. It''s certification is EGL (from the L.A. lab) and the price I''ve been quoted is $3,700. It has some very slight problems under magnification, but it''s one of the better SI2''s that I''ve seen in terms of appearance. Take a look at the below specs and let me know what you think. Good buy? Decent buy? Thoughts? Thanks so much in advance.

Weight 1.11 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color G
Clarity SI2
Measurements 6.92 - 6.88 x 3.93 mm
Depth 57.0
Table 62.0
Crown 12.0
Pavilion 43.0
Girdle THIN TO MEDIUM FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
bagh
57 % depth is too shallow, try to look for a stone with 60.7-61.5 % depth

bagh

Rough_Rock
When you''re saying mind clean, I assume you''re talking about how I feel about the stone? I think I feel pretty good. Perfection in a stone would be great, but there''s also how much I''m willing to pay to get perfection. Considering that there are some imperfections (SI2 and the depth may be a little off) and just focusing on price, does it make sense?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2004 8:49:48 PM
Author: bagh
When you''re saying mind clean, I assume you''re talking about how I feel about the stone? I think I feel pretty good. Perfection in a stone would be great, but there''s also how much I''m willing to pay to get perfection. Considering that there are some imperfections (SI2 and the depth may be a little off) and just focusing on price, does it make sense?
bagh
let me be honest, $3700 will not buy you a very nice 1.10 ct stone.keep in mind what you pay is what you get.

bagh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. Let me put this another way: taking the information that I gave for the stone above, what would a decent price be? More than $3,700? Less? I''m honestly not in the market for perfect so I''m looking for the best price on what looks good to me. This stone looks good so I want to know how much I should be paying for it. $3,700 seems pretty good.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
bagh - I think your last question is just a tad hard to answer - since all diamond prices are realative - good or bad.

It seems like the price is right for you, so this may be a good option. You probably are saying - wow - over a carat for under 4K. That''s gotta be good right?

Well, yes and no. You may be spending money for a stone that really doesn''t sparkle (out side of the store). So what you say? Fine, that could be ok too.

I guess some people are facinated by the perfomance a diamond can give. As most of the regulars on this board are very intrigued by how beautiful they look - and always seek out the "best for the money" in THOSE terms - i.e. light return, brillance - and those things that make a diamond appear "beautiful".

However - for you price/size may be the "best for the money" value you seek. In that case, use your best judgement -- I would suggest at least seeing (2) more diamonds in your price range before you make a choice - just to be sure that you aren''t getting taken. Call around so you don''t waste your time.

Good Luck

bagh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies and I understand that at the end of the day, I have to buy what I''m comfortable with, so I''ll just ask one last time. Based on the figures above, is $3,700 a fair price? I''m a little confused that this isnt a yes or no answer. The diamond market is based on a ratio of price to quality. Based on the quality I''ve cited, what is the price?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
This stone may not be among the top cut stones due to its shallow depth and larger table, but from what I know and the pricing of Ideal cut stones of similar weight, color and clarity being about $4,800-$5,500, then this price is seems decent.

I would get the stone appraised, even if it''s just for cert verification--a drop to I1 from SI2, or G to H or I to a lesser extent, would make the stone overpriced.

bagh

Rough_Rock
Still trying to learn so all the information I get is invaluable.

I know that it isnt a perfectly cut stone, but where do you think this stone falls within quality of cut? I like the appearance for the money, but I also dont want a bad stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2004 6:30:54 PM
Author: bagh

I know that it isnt a perfectly cut stone, but where do you think this stone falls within quality of cut?
Yes Sir!
1.gif
Did you try Garry''s HCA on those numbers ? There isn''t allot more one can guess based on those % only and with no stone at hand. As is, that 2.1 score reads "great". With the HCA nod in hand, there''s always room for a bit of surprise when looking at the stone, since more than a little detail remains not accounted for by those table-depth-crown-pavilion numbers. Same for AGS0, not just EGL''s ideals
2.gif

If you could take a look at it via some ''scope to tell the story here, it would be very nice. This is not a must, of course.

IMO, this stone would have a slightly different look (brighter, with slightly less fire, I guess) than the typical ideal without being less bright. If there is an ideal cut in the store to compare this one with, all for the better. I have no reason to believe this one will not stand it''s ground, based on the data given.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not even a borderline case... there is some leeway for approximate measurements (those % are not as precise and angles, they say) and the stone would still pass the test.
34.gif

Not surprised that SI2 checked ok for clarity (you say it is basically eye clean...). EGL is a tad stricter in this department: a less eye clean SI2 would be called SI3 by EGL.

HCA111.JPG

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the price sounds good (compare to this stone).

Also, although the cut is not what is usually thought of as ideal, it sounds as though the stone will be a good performer with a spread making it look more like a 1.18-1.20 carat stone. I too have a stone with a larger table percentage than depth percentage, and it looks pretty to me.

I would say go for it.

bagh

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the extra information everybody. It really helps! Looks like I''m going to go ahead with this stone. This has been the single most complicated and confusing purchasing experience of my life and I wouldn''t have been able to get as far as I have without the comments I''ve read and received on this board. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results