shape
carat
color
clarity

Is J color to Low??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbutler17

Rough_Rock
I''m looking into possibly buying a J color princess cut set in white gold or plat. Do you think J is to low and is a noticeably different to people just looking at the ring?? Thanks

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Hehehe... just wait till Mara and Aljdewey get here!
1.gif

Quick answer: to some yes to some no.
It all depends on how "color sensitive" (sorry to be PC) you are.

If you get a well cut stone, it's going to be bright and firey - thats all OTHERS will notice.
What will you notice? Dunno.

Scintillating...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Princess stones show more color than rounds...but there are some nice J princess stones on here I'm sure...You should go see some in person to know.

Like scintillating said, each person's view is different!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is J too low?
You might at well ask us if you are marrying the right girl.
Some questions only YOU can answer.

Go see some similar stones of all colors including Js.
Then look at the price tags.

Then decide for yourself how much color YOU can live with, or how much colorlessness YOU are willing to pay for.

Some people are happy with a K; a J would be a waste of money to them.
Some simply MUST have a D; an E would bother them.
Both people selected what is "right".

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, just chiming in to agree with everyone else. Best way to decide if you can live with the color is to see examples of different colors with your own two eyes. Kenny also made a good point by mentioning the cost factor. A lot of people are willing to go lower on color, clarity, or both to get the biggest stone that their budget will allow. I find it helps to prioritize the "C''s", and decide what the most important things are that will make you feel like you got the most for your money. My priorities would be:

#1 CUT
#2 CLARITY
#3 CARAT
#4 COLOR

But that''s just ME. You need to decide what''s important to YOU. My personal opinion is that most stones from D to J are going to look white. So I don''t think you will be disappointed with a J. Just bear in mind, it won''t look the same as a diamond which is graded closer to colorless. That''s why you need to go and look at the various color grades in person so that you know what appeals to your eye. It''s been pretty well theorized around here (and I believe this to be fairly typical for most people) that the size and the cut quality of the diamond are going to be what people notice most, so those are the two things most people don''t want to compomise on very much. There are a lot of beautiful diamonds pictured throughout PS are J stones, and the owners of those stones will testify to how bright, white, and sparkly they look. One of my diamonds is a J and I think it''s beautiful.

Good luck on your quest to find the "perfect" diamond. Princess cuts are beautiful, I have one of them, too, and they are classic in my book!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a very personal issue, color...

The funny thing is that I was worried about J but when I got my 1.60c J stone I was REALLY impressed. Face down this thing looks just like my H but from the side you can see a tiny bit of an off-warmth to it. Very hard to notice unless you stare. Most people during 'regular viewing' will not see it.

Since then a few other PS'ers have seen my stone, and the first thing they say is 'WOW that's a J' or 'WOW it looks so white' etc. I even had a very respected appraiser give the thumbs up on how great it looked. So I know it's not just me who has had some 'color myths' debunked thanks to time spent on PS..
31.gif

Recently someone on here messaged me about a J stone they had set into a ring for a family member by WF and she said she was SO happy with how it looked and that it really 'converted' her to thinking of J's in a different light, etc. That it opened up a 'whole new world' of possibilities.

For me it's really cool that education like this can show you things you may not have previously considered. aka I adore SI2 clarity stones but others cannot abide anything lower than VS or VVS etc. So it's very personal but also I think that a little education and using your own eyes in the research will go a long way towards helping you find the right stone.

All of that waxingpoeticonJs said and done, fancy stones DO show a bit more color than a round, so you definitely want to see these babies in person to determine your color comfortability range. You may not be happy with going as low in a princess as you may be okay with in a round. I know if I got an asscher that it would probably be a higher color...but I did see a K recently which was superbly cut and stunningly beautiful, it showed alot more color than my round J did but it looked very 'romantic' and had a wonderful quality to it. So knowing that, I would still have considered it for setting in an antique filigree type setting. Just depends on the stone!

Good luck!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess I''ll chime in here since I have a J princess............It''s really up to you and what you prefer colorwise. I love my J. It''s very bright and sparkly. However in some lights I can see some color. In other lights it looks just as white as my G pendant. It''s not yellow per se, just a different tone. Does it bother me? No. It''s hard to explain about color. You must see it for yourself. That''s the only way you will be able to determine if lower colors will bother you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results