shape
carat
color
clarity

Is H & A worth its premium? J diamond with F-H sidestones?

BubbleGumPlant

Rough_Rock
Hi, I've been doing research through PS for the last couple of weeks now and I'm still a little unsure of a couple of things and would love your input. But first, this is the range of diamond that I have been scouting out on several PS recommended websites:

RB
0.9 carat but ideally 1.00+ carat
H-J
VS1-SI1(eye clean)

As per cut, ideally I would love a top of the line WF ACA H&A or a James Allen TrueHearts but may consider not going with this premium if my budget really won;'t allow for it I have yet to see any of these in person and doubt I would ever be able to since I live in Canada and returning a diamond would be extremely difficult, which leads to my first question:

1. How important is H & A to you (vs. carat size)? I have seen videos of H & A's and I THINK I might like it more but still undecided if it's worth the extra premium. With my budget of $7000 including the setting, I have only found H&A I or J color SI1 diamoonds that fit my budget, which brings me to my second issue.

2. My gf is a fan of this setting by Tiffany's

http://www.tiffany.ca/Engagement/Item.a ... 0/0/0/1001

Obviously it's out of my budget but what she likes are that the sidestones are square rather than round. I found a couple of settings on the JA website and will most probably choose one that is similar to these ones:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-ri ... -Ring.html
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-ri ... 8-3782.asp

My question is, with sidestones being F-G or H would the color of a J stone really show? Someone in PS mentioned to stay within the 2-color down rule. Would I be able to ask the vendor to only put H stones on the setting? Is that feasible or should should I go up in color and only look at H diamonds? It is hard for me to determine this on my own since I have yet to see an excellent cut J diamond in person.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Is H & A worth its premium? J diamond with F-H sidestone

ask JA if they can do the band with H/I melee?

I'd stick with one of their ideal or premium cut rounds that has a good IS image.

also I like the carre cuts but I think that band looks kind of thick/clunky. I much prefer this band http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-ri ... 8-2809.asp but I like the basket on the carre cut band

there's my opinion on settings :)

amc80

Ideal_Rock

I'm a big believer in "if I like it, then I like it." I would rather decide on a stone based on what I see than based on the numbers. But that's just me. So I'm not sure I would pay a premium to get something with perfect H&A.

In regards to the setting- that Tiffany setting is one of my absolute favorites. However, the thing I love about it is how the stones on the band are graduated toward the center, which is a feature that none of the settings you suggested have...and I think it gives the Tiffany ring a completely different look. Is there a jeweler you know of that could custom make a similar ring?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Depends.

You don't need H&A to get a beautiful RB that performs spectacularly.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with slg and amc...that tiff band is gorgeous but the bands that you picked dont really have the element of the
tiff band that make it so lovely.

I prefer the setting that slg picked out because it is a little more delicate then the other 2 settings you posted.
(unfortunately still doesnt have the graduated stones but...unless you want to go custom not sure if you will
find that in a stock setting).

Edit - I did find a flyer fit but its still $3k :knockout:
http://www.since1910.com/engagement-rin ... -1441.aspx

Edit
Tacori makes one too but its $6k
http://www.since1910.com/engagement-rin ... -1987.aspx

pierreone

Shiny_Rock

I'm still a diamond newbie so I can't comment on the stone, but that Tiffany setting was one of the inspirations for my ring (there's also a Jeff Cooper setting that looks very similar). I had Brian Gavin custom make mine. To save money, he used side-by-side tapered baguettes instead of traps on the shoulders to get the tapered look. I also didn't use as many square step cuts.

Not sure how much you're allocating to the setting, but if you want more info, it's on the BGD website, called 'Julie's Ring.' Good luck.

p1_ring_collage_nologo.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock

julie your ring is beautiful!!!! i looked on BGD but couldn't find a link to it...is it on their website?

BubbleGumPlant

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the input. The setting is what I'm having the most difficulty with and I really appreciate all the feedback. In terms of budget, I originally allocated around $1500 for the setting and $5500 for the diamond. However from what it looks like, I might have to rethink that although the idea of spending 3k on a setting and only 4k on the centre stone doesn't seem right. I will have to continue searching and maybe look for a different setting that my gf might like. At least I've narrowed it down to, she doesn't like plain solitaires and is not a fan of the three-stone look. Preferably I'd like to get the setting and the diamond from the same place (therefore a PS recommended vendor).

Pierreone that is a gorgeous ring. I might have to go the custom route as well although I fear doing so. What was it like to get a custom from Brian Gavin in terms of time, service and price?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I wonder if you could get a thinner band with smaller diamonds for less $$. I personally think the setting is really important so it is worth spending some to get it right.

to me Julie's ring is more elegant and refined and the metal is less noticeable on the band which make it just :love: plus the tapering is beautiful.

you could also ask JA if they can customize one of their settings. I believe they do custom work as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If your lady likes that Tiffany, then I have to say that I think the setting is going to matter to her. Your options are, IMO, get a cheap setting now, and go setting shopping with her in a year, and save up between now and then. Or, get Julie's setting and call BGD about maybe getting seeing if they can offer you a better deal if you buy both the stone and the setting from them.

Of all the settings, I think Julie's is going to be the best balance between design and budget. Leon has a similar one but I think the setting is over 6 K.

coco3

Rough_Rock

I agree with all the previous comments. Julie's setting has the refined elegance and details of the Tiffany's setting that your girlfriend likes, the James Allen settings, while pretty on their own, are apples and oranges. Just because they happen to have square diamonds set in the band does not mean they would adequately replace the Tiffany setting (IMHO). Now if your gf has seen the JA settings and likes them, then by all means... But personally I would contact Brian and see what he can do. He is currently making my ring and he is very accomodating!

pierreone

Shiny_Rock

Has your gf mentioned what matters most to her – a bigger stone, a specific look for the setting, or are they both equally important? Maybe knowing that will help you decide how to allocate your budget.

My sapphire is 8.8 x 8.2 mm and the shoulders flare out to 5.5mm where they meet the basket. If you’re using a smaller stone, then I’d guess all the components would be proportionately smaller – maybe that would cost less?

Working with Brian was very easy. Since I knew specifically what I wanted, I created a collage of similar settings, typed comments on what I like about each, and sent that to him. I had a number of emails back and forth with Lesley, talked on the phone with Brian twice, and then they created a CAD. They nailed it the first time so I didn’t have to ask for modifications. The entire process, from my initial contact until I got the ring, took about two months.

I’d suggest contacting Brian to see if he can create something with the look you want within your budget. Like Gypsy wrote, can’t hurt to ask if you can get a better deal by buying both the diamond and setting from them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results