shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an "old" GIA report a concern?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Joey T

Rough_Rock
I''ve been searching online, and in some cases I''ve come across diamonds where the GIA report is dated as long ago as 2002. Should I draw any conclusions from this? Does this mean the diamond is likely poor quality if it''s been in inventory that long? Or could it be a second-hand diamond that someone used to trade up?

This is from the website of a local reputable jeweler who also has a B&M store.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Not necessarily - your major concern, as it should always be, is whether the grading report accurately describes the stone - enter stage left your friendly independent appraiser!

There are previous discussions on this subject which you can access by doing a search at the upper right of the page.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Joey,
There can be plenty of reasons for a 3 year old report- many of them do not indicate any problem.
True, if a stone is a DOG, it might sit for years someplace, but you would very likely recognize that yourself.
But people do get divorced, upgrade, among other reasons.............

Jolie

Rough_Rock
My understanding is that a newly dated GIA report doesn''t mean the diamond is any "newer" than one with an old report. It can still be pre-owned (to use the new "used car" term) or 20 years old, but they just re-submitted it to get a newer cert. A new cert cannot be used to say that the diamond was not used or old.

It might be worth seeing a newer report if there is a chance that the diamond was damaged or otherwise changed (recut, etc.) from the time of the original report. But since I would get any diamond I buy (including ones with newer certs) independently evaluated anyway, it doesn''t really make much of a difference to me. As lond as the diamond matches the cert (new or old), the "quality" of the stone will be what''s on the cert.

To me, all an old cert means is that the seller didn''t bother sending the diamond in to get a new one; but once the seller does send it in - voila, a new cert.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results