shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a 1/4 ct round diamond too small for diamond pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

js_diamond

Shiny_Rock
I''d really like a diamond pendant either in a bezel setting or plain but we can''t afford to spend more than $700. For that price, you can''t get much more than 1/4 ct size. Does this look really small? TIA.

laineybugger

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think so! I have a 1/3ct princess cut in a pendant I had made by Blue Nile a few years ago.

I am currently working on a project for a custom mounting to have it set into a ring, I just think I would get more use out of it in a ring than a pendant.

But it was a nice size pendant and about $700 at the time for a beautiful 1/3ct pendant and chain set in 18K White Gold.

If you want it to look bigger a nice heavy bezel would probably work nicely!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
If you can bust the budget a little bit - you could get a .40 from whiteflash in white gold for $890.

I only mention it because the one you link from JA is $850.

js_diamond

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I mean what''s another $190? haha. I think that''s the best deal.

laineybugger

Shiny_Rock
Another thought.. being a pendant how concerned are you with color and clarity? If I were you I would go for a great cut and go down a little in color/clarity to get a bigger stone. It''s not an engagement ring that people will be expecting up close.

I went a little overboard with mine. I chose a stone that was D in color with a lovely blue fluorescence and VS2.
This is not really noticed or appreciated being in a pendant which is why I am having it set into a ring where I can appreciate it more, wear it everyday and admire it catching the light :)

Just my 2 cents :)

js_diamond

Shiny_Rock
I have no problem going to SI2 in terms of clarity. I would like to keep the color at around a G or higher. I am looking at creating it from Blue Nile and pushing the budget a little more.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I think a 1/4 round in a delicate white metal bezel fixed on a dainty chain by two tiny "mouse ear" loops, and measured to nestle in the hollow of your neck would be divine.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can say that a bezel makes a diamond look bigger. I have a stone that is .40 carat and my bezel pendant that is .33 and they look about the same, maybe even my bezel looks a tiny bit bigger so it does give it a bigger illusion. JS-Diamond, exciting project!!!!
3.gif
K9muttlover, you have great taste!
1.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, here''s a pic of my .25ct pendant to give some perspective.

cmsqtrct03.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 2:24:50 PM
Author: Catmom
Hi, here''s a pic of my .25ct pendant to give some perspective.
Wow, what a beautiful Pendant Michelle!

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
I have a .34 G SI1 in a wg bezel setting. It is really a perfect size. It doesn''t twist around a lot and really hangs in the hollow of my neck perfectly. I love it!!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I think that small pendants and earring studs can be quite fetching actually. Small pendants that are set almost invisibly and hit your neck in that perfect place (as RxTechRN2b mentioned)look lovely. It is a nice look to see a tiny pinpoint of sparkle and light emanate from there like a little star on your neck.

I like to think of small carat weight earrings and pendants and rings and so on as jewelry lingerie meaning that they are small in size but big in impact. Also they give a sleek bare and minimalist look. Just lovely.

Mrs.2Artists

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I like smaller sizes in pendants. They are so wearable every day. And the bezel settings do make the diamonds look bigger. That .40 in white gold from Whiteflash looks like a great deal.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally with a $700 budget I would go with a colored stone instead of diamond.
Something from Richard Homer maybe.

Whats your favorite color?

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think 1/4 is too small at all! Especially if you have it bezel set. I have a pendant that''s close to .3 carats in a martini setting. It''s on a 16" delicate chain so it falls right at the collar bone. It''s very delicate but a classic look that I wear almost every day. I get tons of compliments on it too! I say go for it!!!!!

js_diamond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 6:30:31 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
I don't think 1/4 is too small at all! Especially if you have it bezel set. I have a pendant that's close to .3 carats in a martini setting. It's on a 16' delicate chain so it falls right at the collar bone. It's very delicate but a classic look that I wear almost every day. I get tons of compliments on it too! I say go for it!!!!!
Do you have any pics of yours? This is exactly what I want!

And yours is gorgeous, Catwoman! You have some of the best jewelry.

E B

Ideal_Rock
jsdiamond,

My pendant is .41 ct in a white gold bezel and I paid under $700 for it. I bought the diamond from Blue Nile and called around about setting prices. After speaking with a few PS vendors, I had it set locally and for less than half what I was being quoted elsewhere for the same stock Stuller bezel setting.

Be sure to shop around before you commit- it's possible to go larger. .25ct is a great size, though!

*I should add that I didn't get a crappy diamond, either- I got an AGS Ideal. It's a J, SI1 to keep the cost down, but with medium blue florescence.
18.gif

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2008 7:19:07 PM
Author: js_diamond

I don''t think 1/4 is too small at all! Especially if you have it bezel set. I have a pendant that''s close to .3 carats in a martini setting. It''s on a 16'' delicate chain so it falls right at the collar bone. It''s very delicate but a classic look that I wear almost every day. I get tons of compliments on it too! I say go for it!!!!!

Here''s a neckshot of mine. It measures about 4mm.

DSC02405solneck.JPG

js_diamond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 7:31:30 PM

Date: 7/27/2008 7:19:07 PM
Author: js_diamond

I don''t think 1/4 is too small at all! Especially if you have it bezel set. I have a pendant that''s close to .3 carats in a martini setting. It''s on a 16'' delicate chain so it falls right at the collar bone. It''s very delicate but a classic look that I wear almost every day. I get tons of compliments on it too! I say go for it!!!!!

Here''s a neckshot of mine. It measures about 4mm.
I love it! Now I am debating a martini setting over bezel. Decisions, decisiions. What are the specs? It looks so nice.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
js - I asked in my thread, but thought I''d ask you here too. Have you decided what you''re going to do for your pendant??
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you''d enjoy it and I don''t think it would be too small.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a bezel makes the diamond look bigger. I love my bezel pendant
1.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I love my bezel pendant too! I went down to J/SI1 (eye clean) to get a bigger stone (0.5ct). I think 0.25 wouldn''t be too small, but I would consider waiting a few months until you have the budget to get a bigger stone. If you do get a 0.25 in a bezel, ask for a thinner than normal bezel so the diamond doesn''t get lost in all the metal.

Kats

Rough_Rock
I agree with 2Artists, I really like the sleek and minimalist look. I have a pendant with a 0.18 diamond and it''s not too small for me, so I don''t think 0.25 is too small at all. As usual, it comes down to what you like though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results