shape
carat
color
clarity

In need of advice re: 0.43ct Rough Diamond (Pics Incl.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

c-roots

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have recently been given a 0.43ct Rough Diamond and would like to ask the experts of this forum a few questions:

I understand that some of these questions may be borderline imposible to awnser from the picture below, but I would greatly apreciate your opinions.

1) What do you think would be the best cut for this shape / approximate yeild?

2) What would be the spproximate cost to have this stone cut?

3)How would you rate this stone for color and clarity? 1 external and 1 internal inclusion are barely visible to the naked eye.

4) What price to you belive this stone could fetch in it''s rough state Vs. it''s cut state?

Pictures were taken under white LED lighting, first picture without magnification and the rest under 10X. Unfortunately, the forum has only allowed me to attach 1 pictures, my following post will include my clearest picture under 10x.

Thanks in advance for your help,

C-Roots

Rough43-1.JPG

c-roots

Rough_Rock
Here is the second picture, taken under 10x magnification.

Thanks again,

C-Roots

Rough43-5.JPG

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it''s for your own consumption take it to a cutter who could tell you much better than us (who are mostly consumers). And if it''s for sale, you should know that you need a kimberly process certificate or else you aren''t going to get anything for it because no one in their right mind will touch it...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/13/2008 10:43:33 AM
Author: neatfreak
if it''s for sale, you should know that you need a kimberly process certificate or else you aren''t going to get anything for it because no one in their right mind will touch it...

Hm ... actually, I wonder about this myself, and hope one of the experts will come along to clarify. I have rough diamonds that were purchased in the ''80s and ''90s before anyone had ever heard of the Kimberly Process. Are those now in some strange commercial limbo? Conundrum ....

c-roots

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

The stone was given to me by a friend and I realy don''t know what I intend to do with it. I have no intention of turning it into jewlery for myself, but would be interested in having it cut for a chrismas gift.

Can anyone wager an estimate on how much this service could cost and how big the final product would be based on it''s current shape?

Thanks,

C-Roots

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 11:07:00 AM
Author: c-roots
Thanks for the reply.

The stone was given to me by a friend and I realy don''t know what I intend to do with it. I have no intention of turning it into jewlery for myself, but would be interested in having it cut for a chrismas gift.

Can anyone wager an estimate on how much this service could cost and how big the final product would be based on it''s current shape?

Thanks,

C-Roots

You''d really have to talk to a cutter. Recutting a poorly cut stone is a few hundred dollars, but that''s all I really know.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 11:01:41 AM
Author: Circe
Date: 11/13/2008 10:43:33 AM

Author: neatfreak

if it''s for sale, you should know that you need a kimberly process certificate or else you aren''t going to get anything for it because no one in their right mind will touch it...

Hm ... actually, I wonder about this myself, and hope one of the experts will come along to clarify. I have rough diamonds that were purchased in the ''80s and ''90s before anyone had ever heard of the Kimberly Process. Are those now in some strange commercial limbo? Conundrum ....

That is a great question...not sure about that one. I''d ask one of the cutters! I bet Paul from Infinity would know...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is some relevant info from earlier this year from Paul:

Entire thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/16-5ct-and-other-rough-diamonds.82980/

Specific post:

RR,

Although Storm sometimes chooses very 'rough' words, the matters he raises are very important ones.

Even though, your case may be absolutely legit, you have ended up in a situation of illegality. Now, your diamonds are not 'blood diamonds', but they are definitely 'untouchable'.

Since a few years, with the introduction of the Kimberley Process, rough diamonds are either KP-compliant or they are not. At the point in time of the introduction of the Process, anyone (mostly diamond dealers) could declare their stock of rough diamonds, and these were automatically considered KP-compliant. As you or your father probably did not declare your stock, these stones are now outside of the Kimberley Process, and I do not think that there is a way of getting them into it.

As such, Storm is absolutely right in stating that no legitimate diamond dealer or cutter will want to touch these stones. Doing that would risk allegations of trading in blood diamonds (indeed), money laundering and as a result terrorist-financing. Nobody in his right mind will take this risk.

Of course, others here have a gemolical curiosity in rough diamonds, but I personally would not even risk taking a look at these stones. Just to clarify to you how difficult your current situation is.

Other than that, from the pics, I do not see really nice material. Maybe, by louping it, they will prove to be better quality than at a first glance, but do not expect that you have a valuable treasure there. Illegal yes, valuable question mark.

Sorry for the harsh words, but it is essential that somebody warns you about your true situation.

Live long,

Paul Slegers

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let me first handle the technical issues, as far as can be done with only two pics.

The stone is a relatively nice octahedron. Because of it somewhat rounded appearance, I would guess that producing two rounds out of this stone is the best solution. Two princess-cuts are also possible, but both the actual shape of the rough and the small size of the resulting princess-cuts would make me choose for rounds.

Probably, this stone would yield one stone of about 0.12 Cts and one of around 0.08 Cts. Color and clarity are impossible to predict as such.

As for actually having the stone cut, there are technical difficulties. Are you in a country where diamonds can be sawn in the sense that you can find people with the technical expertise and the equipment? If not, you can only have it cut towards one stone, and it might be that you will only obtain one stone weighing close to the abovementioned 0.12 Cts.

Most important however is the legal issue.

Where did you obtain this diamond? Do you have documentation that you obtained it legally, from someone who is operating a diamond business according to the law, and do you have the necessary proof that the stone is Kimberley Process-compliant? If not, you are in legal trouble.

In that case, your stone cannot be exported, and anyone either buying this stone from you or cutting it for you within your country is taking a high risk. Technically, if you own a rough diamond without proper documentation, you are risking to be accused of trading in conflict diamonds and/or money-laundering. Terrorist-financing is an accusation very close to this.

Live long,

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
All moral and legal issues aside, from a financial aspect this does not compute.

An .08 and a .13 diamond are probably worth at most $200 on their best day. I know you can''t get rough faceted for that in the states.

Why bother?

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting answers here.

I know people have found diamonds in some areas of North America by 'gem hunting' - such as in Canada and in parts of the US (is it Arkansas?).

Do you need documentation for cutting of these stones as well? Does this apply to other gemstones?

I ask because my FFIL has found rough gems (nothing fancy or expensive, just iolite and garnet) in land that he owns, and I'm now wondering about legalities!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/13/2008 11:37:16 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Where did you obtain this diamond? Do you have documentation that you obtained it legally, from someone who is operating a diamond business according to the law, and do you have the necessary proof that the stone is Kimberley Process-compliant? If not, you are in legal trouble.

In that case, your stone cannot be exported, and anyone either buying this stone from you or cutting it for you within your country is taking a high risk. Technically, if you own a rough diamond without proper documentation, you are risking to be accused of trading in conflict diamonds and/or money-laundering. Terrorist-financing is an accusation very close to this.

Live long,

C-Roots, apologies for semi-hijacking your thread: I hope this is related *enough* to not be annoying!

Neatfreak, thanks for the tip, and Paul, thanks for the clarification. I have to say, though, this still sounds wonky to me, just because of cases like mine: there must be countless people in the same limbo. I acquired my stones with the thought of setting them as rough, and then never quite got around to it: I still know the dealer, but I doubt if *she* has documentation from way back when! Because I''m not in the trade, I completely missed the boat on getting them certified. So now, I''m in possession of something that''s apparently on a par with other prohibited substances. Oy. No solutions at all, then, outside of keeping them forever and ever? It''s not that I *mind,* it''s just that it seems ... illogical.

P.S. - C-Roots, PurrfectPear has a point: given that it''s a pretty piece of rough, and that it would cost approximately the same amount, why don''t you have it set as-is?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results