shape
carat
color
clarity

If a diamond cert is over a year old, does it mean no one wants the stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
When I see a cert that is over a year old, I have the impression that maybe no one wants the stone so its been in invesntory for quite some time or maybe it was returned?

Is an old cert a red flag?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2008 8:04:04 AM
Author:azbuyer
When I see a cert that is over a year old, I have the impression that maybe no one wants the stone so its been in invesntory for quite some time or maybe it was returned?

Is an old cert a red flag?
Not necessarily, sometimes a diamond just takes a little while to find a home, in the scheme of things that isn''t old at all - no worries!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Also, the diamond might be pre-owned. Not all diamonds available for sale are virgin diamonds right out of the mine. Think about all those trade-ins. Usually those trade-in are put up for sale. No worries about buying a trade-in, because normally the vendor has checked out the diamond to make sure it is in top shape.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
As diamond trade prices for high-quality large diamonds have usually appreciated over time, it is not unusual for traders to have diamonds that have certs that are 1+ years old.

Where you should be careful is to check that no grading standards have changed since the diamond was certified. For instance, GIA and AGS have both changed some of their reports over the past 2+ years.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 12:24:02 PM
Author: Indira-London
As diamond trade prices for high-quality large diamonds have usually appreciated over time, it is not unusual for traders to have diamonds that have certs that are 1+ years old.

Where you should be careful is to check that no grading standards have changed since the diamond was certified. For instance, GIA and AGS have both changed some of their reports over the past 2+ years.
THanks for the tip. So far the oldest one I have seen was just over 1 year old. So hopefully it is using the latest grading standards

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results