shape
carat
color
clarity

identifying a chip?

false
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucymartin

Rough_Rock

Hello, can anyone tell me if there are ways to identify a chip in a diamond w. out the aid of a loupe?

I have a diamond w. a surface breaking inclusion (feather) that I am constantly worrying that I have banged against something and chipped...

Thank you for your help!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If a chip is small, you will definitely require a loupe to see it. If it becomes large enough to see without a loupe, then you have a farily good sized chip already. A chip at the girdle generally creates a very sharp edge on the girdle which you might be able to feel before you can actually see it. You can chip a diamond on the crown or pavilion where a sharp edge won''t become apparent.

Roughdealer

Rough_Rock
I Dont know if your Diamond are in a setting or not , but if Diamond are a loose stone , take with tweezers and see trough the pavillion with the table face down , and rotATE SLOW 90 OR 120 DEG against a white paper with a common halogen light source. Any flaws that can be considered undesirable will pop up at your naked eyes w.o loupe help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results